• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Buying a Connie with low miles or medium miles does it matter?

What's the concenses about buying a 2 or 3 year old Connie with say 3,000 or 6500 miles or one that has 21,000 miles?  I am no mechanic So I throw this question out to the group.

Does a low mile bike have the tendency to have more issues since it hasn't been used that much?  I remember my Saab mechanic telling me he bought a very low milage car and had multitude of problems since it sat so long.  Could the bike be the same?

I have a 2008 which I bougfht last August I think it had 21,000 or 22,000 miles can't remember. So this guy really rode his bike (he bought it new)  Now I am realizing that he might have sold it just before the next scheduloed service is coming due.  Is it 26,000 or 30,000 miles?  My understanding it is very expensive. Can it be done by someone else other than the dealer?

Searching craigslists nationally I see a couple of bikes for sale 2009 with very low miliage and about 6 to 800 more than I paid for mine. I bought it for $7,800. So I am a little upset on how I was somewhat nieve and didn't do enough home work before I handed over my money! I guess it's all a learning experience.

Lastly, does anyone know the life span of this engine?  Honda has a reputation for a bullit proof engine with that Nighthawk. How about the Kawasaki.

PS. please excuse  the misspelled words I cannot find the spell check button.  I just see the post and preview buttons

Well, as a buyer I always go for lower mileage on anything (bikes or cars)... It's something you just can't reverse as a seller. I'm big into older bikes too and have bought many super low miles bikes that have just sat, it doeas take $ to get them back on the road, but low mileage always wins for resale value IMO...

It boils down to price, or to be more exact, to what you're getting for the price. Let's say you find an '08 Concours with 50,000 miles on it for $5,000, and then another one, same year but with only 7,000 miles for $8,000. Which one are you gonna buy? How deep are your pockets and what is your preference? I assume you are not looking to resale for profit, or are you?

I don't buy a lot of used things, because of not knowing exactly how it has been run or maintained. But when I do buy used. I prefer lower miles. Normally there is less wear on the vehicle. You will be dealing with services no matter what mileage it has. The specs for the valve clearance checks on the US/CA model C14's are set at every 15,000 miles. So a bike with 5,000 miles is close to the same mark as the bike with 20,000 miles. Having Kawasaki's specifications for valve clearance checks at 15,000 and 30,000 miles respectfully. (If you follow the specifications). Some follow the european specs. (which is higher) If your bike was owner by a person with this mind set. Well technically it is already way over do for service. Not trying to start up the debate on when to do the valve clearance check. Just pointing out if the previous owner did or did not follow it.
    This is one of the reasons why I don't normally buy used. I don't follow the manual to the letter. But I try to stay close on certain things. Especially on the first one. I bought my C10 (the one I have now), from a guy that I know was way more fanatical about maintenance than I am. So I felt comfortable buying it. It sat for many years though. So it still needed a lot of TLC from just sitting.
  Now the C14 is a well built bike. So your mileage is not a major thing. Although I would have paid a little more for the low mileage bike or preferable a new bike. But 20,000 miles or so, on an 2008  "could" be only 4,000 to 5,000 miles a year. (the 08 came out in late spring 07).  Which isn't really high mileage on today's bikes. That engine should be fine for well over 100,000 miles with no problem (with proper maintenance). So take care of your bike and enjoy it.

Thanks for your replies everyone.  Is there a way if I cam tell if they were checke3d at 15,000.  Unable to contact the owner.  Can I call the local Kawasaki dealer in Reno and find the maintence history for his bike.

Or should I just go ahead and do it now before I take my epic journey just to be on the safe side.
I do agree with you all now that a low milalge bike is always better than a higher milage bike.  Does everyone change the oil every 3,000 miles?

I wass tols that running unlead not premeium gas was bettItr.  This was an experienced bike mechanic who told me that.

Excellent point of buying used you just never know how it was taken care of.  Unless one spends the time really talking and asking the tell tail questions that may give some indication  of how the bike was kept.

It amazes me how fast these toys depreciate and how much tax the state wants to get paid.  So a one or 2 year old anything looks good to me if I get a sense of how it was maintained.

Thanks Cap'nBob for your encourgement about my bike.  I was beating myself up a little after seeing what 8500 or so gets.  2009 with 6500 or less miles.  But I bought my bike as I said and I will stop crying in  my beer and enjoy the bike like you said.  I would like to become fanatical about the care of this bike.  any resources I get read to learn what to do.  When you say take care of your bike what did you mean?

Robert

CalBoy,
No I am not buying for profit.  Just trouble free mechanically as possible as I am all thumbs when it comes to a wrench.  It's an area I'd like get much better at.  Here in Thailand service is very reasonable.  I just came from the sheet metal shop and they are making me the same style of racks that are sold from Germany at about $350 to $450 for $180 to $240.  In 2 days! I just broke down today with my CB1 and towing to the shop is $15.

But as soon as I step of the plane back in the states ......................I can bearly afford an oil change.

Where is the spell chewck button anyone?  It's getting a little embarrasing................LOL

Robert

When I say take care of it. I mean to maintain it. Proper care both internally and externally pays dividends. IMO, I would do a valve clearance check for peace of mind. That way you know it's done. Beside, your not that far from the European specs had they gone that route anyway. So you'll have peace of mind that the valve clearance is correct, before you start the journey,
  IMO, maintaining the bike externally also pays off. IMO, keeping the bike clean helps protect the bikes finish and other surfaces from scratches and corrosion. Keeping parts lubed and properly adjusted helps to prevent premature wear and other possible troubles. Examples being: lubing the kickstand, clutch, brake pivot points. (it makes them smoother and prevents wear). Keeping your fluids changed (within reason) protects the bikes mechanics. Adjusting the steering stem bearing, or proper tire inflation helps prevent wear and helps in handling and vibration. (tire pressure also effects fuel mileage)
    It's things like this that I was referring to. Prime example for me are my vehicles (besides the bikes). My truck is 9 years old now. Yet most the time to look at it, you would think it's brand new (if you don't keep up on the differences in new models). I attribute it to proper maintenance, both preventive and scheduled. My theory is to replace parts before they break. Motorcycles, cars ,trucks. They're all very similar with their own particular differences. Keep them maintained and clean (when possible), and they should last you a long time and give you great service. Another thing is to be careful when mounting the bike as to not scratch up the bike and/or panniers (saddle bags). Scratches make the bike look old and beat up. I do not want a used bike that looks like this. I gives me the impression that the owner could care less. So why would I expect their maintenance to be any better? It may not be true, but there is not chance for a second first impression.
  Yes it is not always cheap or easy to keep up on stuff like this. And a lot of folks do not believe in washing things (like their bikes). I do not think bad of these folks for it is there choice and opinion. But in my experience, these folks bike tend to look old and beat up long before mine. I know of a few friends who do not clean much (yes I am too much with the cleaning). But my original painted 1986 C10 looks in much better shape than some of my friends bikes that were only a couple of months old.
    A couple of things you can do to help yourself and save money. Purchase a service manual. It also wouldn't hurt to buy a set of Fred Harmon's C14 maintenance DVDs. This would probably help you learn how to do a lot of the maintenance on your bike. That way you know it's done right and save some money at the same time. I don't expect you to do everything yourself. But everything that you do yourself (and feel comfortable with doing) saves you money that your not paying a dealer. Plus your protecting your bike for down the road.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/concours.html

I have bought new and used bikes, The thing I look for when buying used is the service record. If the seller doesn't have a service record I stay away from it, you never know what they are not letting you know. You probably can find out from a dealer if any major work was done by giving them the VIN and they can run it in their computer. I keep a very detailed list of anything I do to my bikes, tires. oil changes, final drive fluid, anti freeze, clutch & brake fluids ETC. date, mileage, and cost, I even enter the accessories and what I paid for them. When I sell a bike I show this list to the buyer so they have a knowledge of what has been done to the bike. A close visual inspection of the bike can usually give you an idea of how well it was cared for.Here is a picture of the bottom of the motor on my on my 08 Gold Wing with 30,000 miles on it when I sold it.
ry%3D400

Joe,.............WoW so clean!  How much time do you spend cleaning your entire bike?

I do have that 2008  with 21 to 23,000 I cannot remember right now.
I was talking to a guy who is selling his 2009 with ABS for $8500 he has 6500 miles.
He had a Sarget seat and a couple of other extras.  He said he reduce3d his price to 8500. When I asked him if was flexible with his price he said no.

I asked him if he did the 6,000 mile service.  He replied that he change the oil evrey 3,000
and the drive shaft oil also and would not let anyone touch is bike especilly a dealer.  I think he said that the first service is 15,000 not sure  I was very tired.  He told me that he isn't riding it because his wife will only go on their Goldwing.  This sounds like a meticulas man and his bike.
So at 6,500 miles how much of a service record would there really be other than the oil change?

This may sound crazy but I'd like to buy his bike................sell mine and be a happy camper.  I paid $7800 from a guy who was a real A-hole.  Do thes bikes sell pretty good in the summer months?

Robert

I bought a 2008 with ABS for $7500 in 2011 and it had 15,000 miles on it and it was spotless with all the records of service. I bought it from a dealer. They threw in a nice helmet, and two oil changes. That was at the end of August 2011.

thetraveler59 said:
Was it a Kawasaki dealer?
Sounds like they took care of you.
Did you have to negotiate the final price?

Robert

It was a Honda Dealer and they wanted $8000. I saw it on the internet as I was searching for a Concours for about 6 months. I went in a half hour before closing and bought it without even riding it. I imagine in the winter you could get a really nice deal. Every Concours I looked at was in great condition. Its not a bike someone just goes out and buys. You find it. And the owners I bet are almost all over 45. Mature guys used to fast bikes but sick of getting wind lash I guess. I am still trying to figure out why younger people don't buy these. For under $8000 you can get all the speed you need with comfort and a great 2up. Bang for the Buck I think they are the best kept secret in motorcycles...Tim

Tim,
Looking for 6 months WOW!
So dealers can be nice if they want to.
I almost bought a Honda ST1300 from a BMW dealer in Manhattan
They wanted to get ride of it...............do you know how snoty these BMW people can be?
It was on Ebay for $9,900!  A prisitne bike with very little miles.

So I said to the salesman.........................go ask your boss what the bottom line is on the bike.
No haggeling you got one shot to get my money that's it.  He called me back 20 minutes later and dropped the price $1,500.00!  At least dealers don't tie up emotion with the bike it's just about  the money. Right.  So you never know what the trade in deal was but I would bet dollars to donuts that make out better with a used bike than a new one.
Robet 

Always ask for a helmet. I tell my friends to do it also and they usually get one. Dealers have to sell used bikes quickly or it ties up too much space and money. The longer it sits the cheaper you get it.  I have never been an impulse buyer unless someone is selling something because they need cash. I knew I wanted a Concours for over a year.

Your a better man than I Charley Brown!
have you been reading my posts?  Especially
the one on how I bought this motorcycle?

I'm looking at this 2009 with 6500 miles but then I read a few reviews only
to learn that there seemed to be some significant changes in 2010.  So I'll ride
my 2008 and try and sell it half way thru the summer and do what you did spend  months
looking for the right bike and situation................but take my time.

Say where is the spell check button?  All I see is the post and preview button.