• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C-14 - want smaller bike ... and then?

red fox

Over the last half-dozen yrs, at various meets, a real fraction of C-14 riders (yeah, those no longer young guys - like me) say they're in the market for a lighter, lower bike. I'm right there. So I just got my alternate ride, right now for my sons to ride with me when they visit, likely me to ride myself later.

A 2007 BMW F800S; yellow / black.
BMW F800S factory photo.jpg

My bike:
BMW F800S MC.jpg

BMW F800S back.jpg

Claimed weight 400 lbs, belt drive, single sided swingarm, 800 cc balanced vertical twin. This particular bike has 8940 miles, has been stored / lightly maintained by my best friend for some years. I rode it 3 yrs ago for a 125 miles, liked it; it accelerated to 110mph with ease. Imported 2007 - 2011, but the GT version was/is available.

Anyway, while I haven't ridden this first week of ownership, here is one hope / lower weight example for C-14 riders who want to keep riding with less weight...

Still intend to ride my C-14! Cheers 🍻

Congrats. That would be awesome on short trips, as Tim R mentioned. Although I might not go with a BMW, a similar weight/style Ninja may one day find its way in my garage.

Totally get it. I have an old Kawasaki 900 that fits the bill for short trips.
I like my kh400 and h1 500 triple for short trips on sunday morning. Always puts a smile on my old face. Or the Z1-r Tc for the bigger grin on straight roads ...
Sorry for off topic, but I can't wait for spring

I like my kh400 and h1 500 triple for short trips on sunday morning. Always puts a smile on my old face. Or the Z1-r Tc for the bigger grin on straight roads ...
Sorry for off topic, but I can't wait for spring
Been looking around for a KH 400 or RD 400 or a Suzuki W͏a͏ter buffalo, not much luck , FIL had a non runner W͏a͏ter Buffalo many years ago and I wish I had it now!

Congrats! Especially since I own a F800GT. ;) I was looking solely at the bikes in the C14 range for years, like the FJR, ST1300, etc. The C10 really caught my eye one day in a Park-N-Ride. To me, it was the epitome of what a sport-touring bike should be. The C14 is awesome as well.

Then I took a test ride on a BMW F800GT. I had no intention to buy one; I was just killing time. It caused me to skip a bike or two in my stable and go to my "old man's bike" directly...except it really isn't an "old man's bike" at all.

I have about 10 times the miles on my F800GT. I think you'll be very pleased with how well it holds up. I replaced my first drive belt at 53,000 miles. The valves have been checked twice and never changed. I've never desired another bike over all the miles, and it brings a smile to the face whether I'm headed a few miles down the road to church, or out of state.

You'll love the weight. No longer will you need to worry about pulling into a parking space downhill. You can often back it out while sitting on the seat.

If you have questions about mods to make, etc., drop me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Chris

I never really looked at the F800GT before, thinking since they were BMWs they'd be too pricey for me. But in checking Cycle Trader they appear to be a nice sport touring value, and you gotta love that low weight! Looks like they'd make an awesome commuter as well as multi-day rider.

My first "sport tourer" or "go camping bike" a poor man's C10 per se was my Kawi ZR7S, which i still have. I put the last factory rack system that was available in the US on it. heated grips, custom seat, Racetech front springs/GVEs and WorksPerformance shock out back. added a Scott chainoiler later on. much lighter than the C10 (or C14 for that matter). due to the air cooled mill, much simpler and less to go wrong, just change oil and filter regularly. So i get the lighter bike with quicker handling. Due to weight difference power/weight ratio similar to the C10. but much more flickable with a lower seat height. better for short trips, but the C10 wins out, always, for longer rides. So keep an eye out, there are probably lots of bikes that would make a good errand/commuter(short trips)/fun bikes with a lot less weight than the C10/C14s. Of course the ZR7S won't keep up with a C14, but on a steady run it gets over 50mpg and with a 5.8 gallon tank, still goes quite a ways before gas stops. but who can keep a bike on a "steady" run with out just hooliganing around. Still if you're looking for raw power, the C14 is it for a sport tourer i would think. Especially with a SISF flash. But I really like my C10 for long windy road trips. there it shines.

Good pick up RF! You and Daboo are wise. Never hurts to have two bikes, right?
-tdbru

My Z900RS Cafe fits the bill for me. Nice sport bike, add higher bars and throw over saddlebags to go touring. My son rides it when he visits. I'm still keeping my C14 though.

I've been wanting a smaller (650ish) bike for some time and did some looking.
1 MAIN item I want. I want a 650 that has 3 or 4 cylinders.
Everything I saw was a twin. Not for me....
Couldn't find anyone that had what I wanted until I went by Honda.
They had a Honda CB650f, "and" it was RED!! 😆👍👍
So, (if I ever get a 650) the Honda CB650f or CBR650f would be my choice.

Last edited:
A real lightweight would be a CB300R @ 317 lb wet. I had a CBR 250 for a while and it was fun apart from extended droning along flat boring roads. A bit buzzy cruising at nearly 7k. Covered a bit over 400 miles one day on it along with my friend on his C-14. He was not hurting quite like I was. Aleve helps.

People routinely cross continents on sub-500cc machines so no reason to think of something smaller than a Connie as a commuter or short-hop solution.

Ted, you might want to also look at the Triumph Trident 660. I did a demo ride of one at the ATL IMS show and it was a hoot.

Yeah, Robert Pirsig crossed the country 2-up with his son on a Honda 305cc with full camping gear. So yeah, a C14 could be considered overkill by a lot of folks.

Attachments

• pirsig-with-chris-1968_custom-1dfd21fa4918cd9508463228a8dd69566ee06eb0.jpg
    pirsig-with-chris-1968_custom-1dfd21fa4918cd9508463228a8dd69566ee06eb0.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 111