• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 Adjusting Pilot/Idle Screws

roncours

Bicycle
Checking previous posts, it's been mentioned that the idle screws are not necessarily set correctly from the factory. As it turned out, that was true with mine & I (NOT a notable mechanic) was able, with helpful advice from a friend, to correct the situation WITHOUT removing the carbs. (Excuse me if this particular method has been documented before.) To begin with, I bought my '01 last year & it has just over 3k miles on it. I experienced a lot of hesitation at low speed cruising & accelerating from low RPM. It was hard for me to believe that on such a new bike that something set at the factory (and sealed away from sight) was the culprit. Once convinced, the thought of removing & reinstalling the entire carb set in order to drill out the caps guarding the adjustment screws was, eh, daunting. I also had no sort of 90-degree dentist's drill to put a hole in the caps in place. When my friend suggested I drill from the side to gain access, my initial reaction was, "I've got a nearly new bike & you want me to drill a hole in WHAT?" To shorten the story, I happened to have a cordless screwdriver/drill skinny enough to reach the inner carbs, & a 3/32 bit was the ticket. I started the hole ~1/8 in. from the bottom, just enough the scrape the tops of the caps going in but far below the adjustment screws. A curved, dental-style pick tool popped them out. Now, were they maladjusted at the factory? Yep. #1 & 4 were nearly identical at about 1-1/2 turns out; #2 was 1-1/4; #3 was less than a turn, about 5/6 turn out. (I put masking tape on the facets of a hex screwdriver bit & #'d them so I could read the rotation while I turned it with my fingers.) As generally recommended, I turned them all out 2 turns & my low speed problems are over. I will also synch the carbs soon but not before the SW/NW rally in Mt. Shasta this weekend. How nice to have the Connie smoothed out before I go! Ron Aikins Pacific Grove, CA COG #8461 AMA #365830 American Voyager Association BMW MOA #67364