• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 Helmet lock disassembly and Re-Key

Stasch

I want to rekey the C10 OEM helmet locks that don't match the other locks on my project 03 C10. (It came with only one and the key doesn't work in it).

I have successfully removed the little brass wheel gear that slides the bar back and forth but wondering if anybody knows the trick to getting the lock cylinder out?

I have done it on the inner fairing lid locks to rekey, but those have a C-clip holding it in. Not so on the helmet locks.

Went out to the garage to snap a pic and I figured it out.

Remove the JIS screw and pry out the plastic cover with a pick or finer flat bladed screwdriver.
2.JPG

Slide the brass gear plate up and off the squared shaft. Note the position of the first tooth and the slide bar for reassembly.
3.JPG

Depress the brass plate down into the round cylinder - I used a pick here too. Was a little tricky the first couple times to get it between the lock case and the brass plate.
4.JPG

While holding the brass plate in place, push the tumbler out the front of the lock case with the end of a screwdriver or your finger. It slides right out.
5.JPG

Like so:
6.JPG

Once tumbler was removed, I 'rekeyed' it by pushing the key that didn't work into the cylinder and noting which tumblers were flush on both sides of the cylinder. I removed those that weren't. There were 2 in each lock. The only change from OEM is now the key can be removed from either lock while in the open position.

Didn't bother to figure that out. I am happy to have helmet locks work with the same key as the rest of the locks on the bike.

Now to cut and drill a flat bar to relocate the locks to the license plate holder so they are usable with the saddlebags on.

Last edited: