• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 dash shelf

Konehead34

After doing a little research, and sending out a few emails, I found the folks that make the c14 dash shelf. BMS. Unfortunately they are out of stock, and need an order of 10 to proceed. I'm willing to purchase the required ten at the original cost of $89 plus shipping, and sell them to interested individuals for the $89 plus shipping. Not looking to make any money, just looking to be that helping guy that y'all know Coggers are.

I have one on my bike and I'll take off the screen in a couple days to post some photos. If I remember correctly they supplied the well nuts (yes u have to drill the cover directly under the windshield) and black bolts.

I've had mine mounted with my GPS on a ram mount and have had no issues. Some members (fartymarty) added some extra supports to his.

Let me know who's interested .

Attachments

• 17023363676133382150159691565869.jpg
    17023363676133382150159691565869.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 17023363906063888027563459149564.jpg
    17023363906063888027563459149564.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 17023364047064171200908734023272.jpg
    17023364047064171200908734023272.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I think someone did a write up a while ago? I thought I saved info on installation with pictures somewhere as I was thinking about something like this. I'll have to look around for it. I remember mention of the windscreen rubbing the bolts for some? I do like that GPS location, but does it vibrate much? Seems like a lot of weight mounted over long distance ( high torque)?

I found it quicker than I thought!

I have question about the "supports" farty marty added. When I bought my used 2015, I was talking to owner about things and the little clear plastic winglets that people added near mirrors for wind deflection were discussed. He advised against them. Can't remember if broke something on his previous 2010? Anyway, now that I have had plastic off, where those winglets attach and fartymarty supports attach, is only plastic with wellnuts? I would be worried about the little tabs breaking. Maybe he will weigh in? Was that beefed up? I thought of making bracket attaching 2 screws near mirror to those areas?

Anyway, now that I have had plastic off, where those winglets attach and fartymarty supports attach, is only plastic with wellnuts? I would be worried about the little tabs breaking.

Correct, there is very little plastic there around those wellnuts. One of mine was broken before I even made the dash supports. The other one has since broken. However the dash supports gets most of their (support?) ....ah...lifting purchase (<--:LOL::rolleyes: ) from the top covers, and the original reason for the screws there was to hold down the top cover but now the weight of the support arms does that.

If needed (I don't think it is needed) metal parts could be fabricated and attached to the mirror support. I did that for the lower set of wellnuts in that area. I could have made it larger and out of thicker metal to also reach the upper ones, but it wasn't needed. I'm not sure the lower ones that I made were needed, but they are there now.

i-fLJmdL5-M.jpg

i-D9hQ5CT-M.jpg

I remember mention of the windscreen rubbing the bolts for some?
Because of the extra weight on my shelf, it causes the plastic to flex up in the middle more when riding and the screws hit the windshield sometimes. Doubtful that anybody will have that problem if they use a mounting solution similar to Konehead's.

I do like that GPS location, but does it vibrate much? Seems like a lot of weight mounted over long distance ( high torque)?
Vibrate? No.
Bounce over bumps, railroad tracks etc? Yes, but then so does my head so they stay in sync sotta speak. Again mine is much heavier than most will be so don't let my install be discouraging. Having the GPS up high is a great safety feature that will pay dividends with every breath you'll be able to continue having. 🤗

Last edited:
Correct, there is very little plastic there around those wellnuts. One of mine was broken before I even made the dash supports. The other one has since broken. However the dash supports gets most of their (support?) ....ah...lifting purchase (<--:LOL::rolleyes: ) from the top covers, and the original reason for the screws there was to hold down the top cover but now the weight of the support arms does that.

If needed (I don't think it is needed) metal parts could be fabricated and attached to the mirror support. I did that for the lower set of wellnuts in that area. I could have made it larger and out of thicker metal to also reach the upper ones, but it wasn't needed. I'm not sure the lower ones that I made were needed, but they are there now.

i-fLJmdL5-M.jpg

i-D9hQ5CT-M.jpg

Because of the extra weight on my shelf, it causes the plastic to flex up in the middle more when riding and the screws hit the windshield sometimes. Doubtful that anybody will have that problem if they use a mounting solution similar to Konehead's.

Vibrate? No.
Bounce over bumps, railroad tracks etc? Yes, but then so does my head so they stay in sync sotta speak. Again mine is much heavier than most will be so don't let my install be discouraging. Having the GPS up high is a great safety feature that will pay dividends with every breath you'll be able to continue having. 🤗
Marty, I chuckled a smidge when I saw how extended ur set up was. Almost like u could put u visor in the sunshade, like night vision goggles.

As Marty said, his set up is causing more torque to the gps side of the shelf from all the weight being extended. I would fathom to guess that's why he had an issue with tje screws rubbing on the windscreen. I have havent had any rubbing. I find that my 6 inch ram extension puts the GPS up high enough for an easy glance. I opted to keep the angle of the ram arm in synch with the windscreen. I have helibars on my bike, with a X cradle for my phone on the right side. They don't interfere with each other. I havent had any issues with vibration.

Marty, I chuckled a smidge when I saw how extended ur set up was. Almost like u could put u visor in the sunshade, like night vision goggles.🤣🤣

at first I wondered how he could see the road! Then I saw what I assume is the cockpit view and it seemed fine.

I happened to have one of these shelfs lying around that came with the 2010 I bought not long ago. After seeing this thread, I decided to check it out since I've never really looked at it. Besides appearing rather easy to fabricate, my first thought on mounting would be to add some double-sided tape to the mounting arms. I would think this would make it more solid up to the horizontal point, which should eliminate flexing at the bolted end. With some of the double-sided tape that's out now, bolts probably aren't even needed.

No actual dealings with one, just throwing out my .02!

I happened to have one of these shelfs lying around that came with the 2010 I bought not long ago. After seeing this thread, I decided to check it out since I've never really looked at it. Besides appearing rather easy to fabricate, my first thought on mounting would be to add some double-sided tape to the mounting arms. I would think this would make it more solid up to the horizontal point, which should eliminate flexing at the bolted end. With some of the double-sided tape that's out now, bolts probably aren't even needed.

No actual dealings with one, just throwing out my .02!
I was wondering where the mounting points for this are located ?

U have to drill 4 holes in the black panel behind the windscreen. Insert well nuts and attach the shelf with the bolts. I got mine second hand, but there should be a template for drilling the holes.

Marty's install used some additional points of attachment because of his set up weight/torque on the shelf.

I was wondering where the mounting points for this are located ?
U have to drill 4 holes in the black panel behind the windscreen. Insert well nuts and attach the shelf with the bolts. I got mine second hand, but there should be a template for drilling the holes.

Marty's install used some additional points of attachment because of his set up weight/torque on the shelf.
This photo shows the mounting points for a standard install with the windshield removed.

Here is a photo of the paper template that came with mine.

I found that the template I received didn't quite match up to the shelf as you can see in the photo. The Xs are where I was supposed to drill and the paper holes with arrows are where my holes were actually made. Too many more photos-->https://fartymarty.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/C14-Dash-Shelf/n-H7d8LF

I think for anybody that wants more support for the shelf but doesn't want to add front support bars like I did could make an under support that attaches to the underside of the shelf and simply rests on top of the curved clear plastic that sits over the gauges. It could be made of stiff foam, wood, plastic or even sheet metal depending on skill level and tools available. Making cardboard cut out template(s) to get the fit right before commitment to actual material. Edge trim to protect the bikes plastic for thinner materials is readily available on Amazon. Automotive door edge protection material can be used as well, and is available at most local auto parts stores.

Just an update,.I'm still waiting for the manufacturer to fabricate them and ship them. I'll see if.i can put a.little pressure on them..

Just updating. Called the supplier today and he was SUPPOSED to call me back. They're in Idaho, so maybe the time difference has them confused. I can't fathom what the delay is. Hopefully have good news tomorrow 🙏

At long last I have 10 brand new c14 dash shelves for sale, they arrived today.

As I had mentioned in the beginning of this thread, they were out of stock and not expected to make more. I had to purchase a total of 10 in order for them to produce any more. My cost was the aforementioned $89 plus shipping and of course a $45 credit card fee. I'm selling them for $90 and actual shipping costs.

They come with 3 well nuts and corresponding black screws. The manufacturer did not provide a template for drilling of the holes for the well nuts, but after removing your windshield it should be simple enough (it was for me and I'm technically challenged) on positioning the shelf and marking the holes for drilling.

So, who wants one? Paypal preferred.