• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 seat slides me forward

gjustcruz

Big Wheel
I rented an '08 for a day in L.A. and logged 184 miles in the canyon roads north of Malibu. Loved the bike, but the seat kept sliding me forward against the tank - very annoying! A change of pants didn't help.
Since the 2010 C14 is at the top of my short list for a new bike, I wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. There's no mention of such a thing in the reviews I've read.
Thanks

Welcome.  ^-^
Yup, this was mentioned way back in 08 - 09.  When I got my 08 I noticed it, then several others indicated they observed the same thing.  To me it was not really an issue because I ride on the tank anyway, weird style I guess, but to others it was a problem.  Not sure if Big K changed the seat or the material to stop this in subsequent years, but I do know that others resolved the issue when they went to an aftermarket seat or had modifications done to the stocker to flatten out the front section.

Yes the 08-09 were known for this. I also have not payed attention on whether the 2010+ bikes are better or not. I personally bought a Corbin. Seat problems were solved for me.

I had the same problem when I bought my 08. It stopped after I got used to the bike when I determined I was breaking to hard. After I got used to the bike I wouldn't change the stock seat.

I found a simple $20 fix.  Available at your local Walmart,  its a gel seat pad,  I throw it right on to my seat,  its doesnt slide around,  gives me great comfort and stopped the issue of sliding forward and being pushed forward.  It also gave me some tank protection from belts and zippers.

Simple, easy and well worth the $20

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 98
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 2012-01-27 16.17.44.jpg
    2012-01-27 16.17.44.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2012-01-27 16.12.16.jpg
    2012-01-27 16.12.16.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 126
I've never ridden an earlier model, but have an '11 and HATE the seat.  Got a Corbin on order.  Probay my 4th or 5th Corbin in 20 years.  The seat debate is huge and there is no "one true saddle".  Some think they're too firm, but I've always liked them.

i have a 2011 and was very unhappy with the bar position and the sliding forward. i was so uncomfortable i thought i would end up selling the bike.  i did a series of things.  they all helped a little,resulting a a reasoably comfortable set-up.
here is the order.
1.major seat surgery. cut about 5 times. better but still sliding. hands still hurt.
2.murph's risers. better, but a lot of weight on the hands. still sliding.
3.tank grips. some help,have to use your legs a lot.
4. grip puppies. too fat, still hurt hands. eventually removed.
5.phils wedges, with risers. helped, but felt bars too high.  took off risers, just wedges felt good. but still sliding a little and hands hurt a little.
6.lowered with muzzy kit.  this dropped the back and made the weight shift onto my hands much less/better. almost completely eliminated slide forward on seat. i do scrap the pegs, but i can use my sportbikes (bmw s1000rr & gsrx1000) if i want to go nuts. there is still reasonable ground clearance. just pay attention to excessively chambered corners.  i live in the northeast and have very bad roads.  found the suspension very harsh, so my dealer basically said to take out a lot of preload front and rear.  took almost all out in the back, not too much in the front, so the front stayed high, especially when braking.  the bike is totally different much more compliant, bars feel good, and not sliding forward.  rode to charlotte, 680 miles in one day and back in one day. best mod was lowering, being 5-7" made moving the bike much easier, plus the ass end was too high. steering did not slow down. i needed all these changes.  however, you may not. i would start with the muzzy lowering kit, especially if you are concerned about dropping it.  a friend rode it before and after and was amazed how comfortable it ended up.

Saddlemen Seats is in Rancho Dominquez, CA. I had them reshape my seat, ad gel and put on a different cover with a covering called "carbon fiber." Call there and ask for Jerry.

Attachments

• WP_000256.jpg
    WP_000256.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 106
Had the same sliding forward issue, the problem compounded with a passenger as the passenger slides ahead too, pushing you even further onto the tank. Add a Corbin... problem solved. A heated Corbin at this time of year in the NW is appreciated greatly as well! ;D

I slid on my '11 seat too. Got a Corbin, still slide, but only when braking. Got some tank grips, problem solved. I think it has as much to do with what pants you wear as it does the seat. The Corbin is pretty slick leather, combine that with textile riding pants, you slide.

Nick said:
Saddlemen Seats is in Rancho Dominquez, CA. I had them reshape my seat, ad gel and put on a different cover with a covering called "carbon fiber." Call there and ask for Jerry.
Saddleman is big on Gold Wing seats, I didn't know they did the concours. Was it a ride in same day mod on your seat? What was the cost?

WOW! 
I can't believe Kaw considers being crushed up against the tank the normal riding position! 
I thought maybe because it was an '08 rental w/36,000 and had obviously been dropped at least twice that perhaps the seat hadn't been replaced properly.  I asked about the issue when I returned the bike, but they said they knew nothing of the issue.  I'm glad I asked here.  Maybe someone knows if the problem has been remedied in the 2012 model year.  Of course, it appears not everyone considers this crotch-up-against-the-tank position a "problem".  I definitely don't like it! 
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. 

When I rode a Gold Wing for 26 years the seating position was more back away from the top shelter, not as aggressive riding style,  But with the Concours you have to get used to hugging the tank, it's the way of a sport tourer, not smashing you into the tank but being close to it and having your knees hug it helps in the fast speed twisties.
ry%3D400

My 2011 makes me feel like I am leaning into the handlebars. I am going to send mine off to Spencer Seats and for $75 he is going to level it out and put new better foam in it.

Bill said:
My 2011 makes me feel like I am leaning into the handlebars. I am going to send mine off to Spencer Seats and for $75 he is going to level it out and put new better foam in it.

Have you put risers on it? Once I put the risers on it, it lost the "weight on the wrists" issue immediately, even with the stock seat. Still not crazy about the seat (although it is 10x better than the '08 IMO).

I changed my seat (Sargent).  Not sure that that helped a lot with the forward position you're referring to.

BUT, what did help greatly was a set of Tech Spec tank pads.  That'll improve your position no matter the seat.  I posted some pics on here somewhere when I installed them, so you can locate that thread.  They're definitely money well spent!  (PS, they look cool too...)

texasdw said:
I changed my seat (Sargent).  Not sure that that helped a lot with the forward position you're referring to.

BUT, what did help greatly was a set of Tech Spec tank pads.  That'll improve your position no matter the seat.  I posted some pics on here somewhere when I installed them, so you can locate that thread.  They're definitely money well spent!  (PS, they look cool too...)

They look very nice TDW!
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,30399.msg137677.html#msg137677

I also like the look of that rear cowl!  8)

I've had a lot of aftermarket seats through the years. From Corbin to Sargent, to Mustang, etc  Not to mention the "custom" seats offered by Harley, BMW, Suzuki, Honda. I thought I knew seats. This past Friday I went to Russell Day Long Saddles in Shasta Lake, California. Spent the whole day waiting around for the true custom made seat. The best seat my arse ever sat on, period!  Pricey but worth its weight in gold. Trust me guys. There's absolutely no substitute for the Russell Day Long.

This topic has not been covered in any C14 article I've read....wonder why?

Also not mentioned anywhere that I've found is the horsepower that this bike delivers.  Any info on that?

backoutonthehighway said:
Bill said:

Have you put risers on it? Once I put the risers on it, it lost the "weight on the wrists" issue immediately, even with the stock seat. Still not crazy about the seat (although it is 10x better than the '08 IMO).

I did put risers on it, a little better but still feel pushed into the bars, I am going to try the seat mod, as much for more comfortable foam as for the leveling

Yup, the 2012 stil puts you in the tank. I'm sending mine off to Spencer this week. The last farkle I have to perform. Then bring on spring!

I took the seat from my 2009 to auto reupholsterer, told him what the problem was. He shaved some foam off the seat and to flatten it out. Turned out great. Cost was $65.