• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 swingarm

He actually might have a good idea.
Stranger things have happened..
If it fits, I suspect the rocker and shock would also have to fit to keep the suspension ratio's correct.

Ride safe, Ted

Well, many have adapted a C-14 shock to the C-10...so, I guess the width of the front of the swingarm would be next...heck, I guess my wheels don't match either... :-[

CRocker said:
Well, many have adapted a C-14 shock to the C-10...so, I guess the width of the front of the swingarm would be next...heck, I guess my wheels don't match either... :-[

Yeah but your wheels are beautiful and they handle like a dream  !!!!
Other factors would be involved with the C-14 swimgarm would be the drive shaft and front coupling assembly.

Yeah...I think there are a lot of reasons not to try it...but, anything’s possible with enough money...and, as cheap as C-14s are...one would have to wonder...

Intriguing...
If width is same, or close enough to adapt, the frame would need additional mods.
The C10 swingarm only has one U-joint, where the C14 has two, one near transmission, one near the hub. The C14 swingarm has extra pivots and links to eliminate shaft-jacking effect, the recipient bike would need strong support points for the links to attach.

If you decide to try it, please take lots of photos, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see it.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Yes, the measurements would have to be considered very carefully.
The swing arms are available cheaply. I haven't had much chance to do the comparison but wanted to know if it had been done.
Here is an example of what I've done with my Dad. It's an AMC Spirit. It's not a bike but a lot of engineering went into it.

Attachments

• Spirit@MidOhio22.jpg
    Spirit@MidOhio22.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 159
NO WAY!!!
I don't remember any AMC Spirit looking like that. I mean, they weren't a particularly ugly car for the time, maybe even ampng the nicer looking ones, especially the 4x4, but not this...
What's the mechanicals look like?

So to bring it around to the original topic... and tying in the "slightly modified" AMC Spirit... it's likely you will not be put off by the required frame modifications  :great:

I just looked at ZG-1400 and ZG-1000 swingarm's on Ebay.
The driveshaft is not arranged the same.
  The 1000 is at/inside the pivot of the swingarm.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-94-06-KAWASAKI-ZG1000-ZG-1000-CONCOURS-SWINGARM-DIFFERENTIAL-FINAL-DRIVE/322953301253?hash=item4b31844d05:g:n6YAAOSwHYpaPWMz&vxp=mtr

The 1400 is above and outside the pivot of the swingarm.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Kawasaki-ZG14-ZG1400-Concours-Rear-Swingarm-Differential-End-Bra-08-14-K020/262494799314?hash=item3d1de8c5d2:g:UdcAAOSwbYZXa4wu&vxp=mtr

I think your looking at some major surgery to make this work!

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Connie Rider. I've been looking at that too. Not a bolt on for sure.
Thought the project was interesting and wondered what thoughts were out there.  :beerchug:

{I love a project; If someone tells me, that's impossible, or you can't do that... I double my efforts..  >:D}

I don't want to be the naysayer..
Trying to discuss your idea, not kill it...

After looking closely, I just realized the pivot bearing (left side) on both swing arms is inside the driveshaft.
and,, I think the driveshaft/engine coupling "has" to be directly forward of the pivot point.
ie; {The curvature of the C-14 swingarm makes it look really off, but the driveshaft alignment may not be as bad as it appears.}

Bottom line..    Measurement's/fitting is the only way to determine if it's possible.

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
{I love a project; If someone tells me, that's impossible, or you can't do that... I double my efforts..  >:D}

I don't want to be the naysayer..
Trying to discuss your idea, not kill it...

After looking closely, I just realized the pivot bearing (left side) on both swing arms is inside the driveshaft.
and,, I think the driveshaft/engine coupling "has" to be directly forward of the pivot point.
ie; {The curvature of the C-14 swingarm makes it look really off, but the driveshaft alignment may not be as bad as it appears.}

Bottom line..    Measurement's/fitting is the only way to determine if it's possible.

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted, I'm like that too.
No worries, never thought anyone was trying to kill the idea.  A swing arm needs to be available to measure and size up.  >:D
I'm really wrestling with it because of time limits but that might just happen soon!
Could always put it away until time permits.
Thanks for your assessment!
Dean

Ted,
I think you're right (I cannot believe I just agreed with you :-[ :-[ :-[)
I think the forward U-joint has to be in a vertical line between the two forward pivots, to keep the joint from being pulled apart or compressed.

We're going to find out guys.

I just could not resist the experiment. I'll get a donor bare frame for mock up too.

Attachments

• ZG1400 diff.jpg
    ZG1400 diff.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 127
Inspiration is the key to invention. I always hated when someone said "they dont make one of those for your motorcycle". That was my driving force when I built my Con-Tario 4 into 1 exhaust for my C-10. It also inspired about 20 other mods I did converting parts from other bikes to fit my Connie. Carry on.

Wingedspirit said:

I just could not resist the experiment. I'll get a donor bare frame for mock up too.

I have a spare 2005 Concours frame you can have free if you want it (brand new).

E-mail me at bergmen-at-pacific-dot-net if you want to discuss.

Dan

You've got it jacksdad.
I picked up the mock up C10 frame tonight. The C14 swingarm assy. is due Jan. 9th
I'll try to get a good look at it along with getting the racecar ready.
Thanks to everyone who had positive (and even not as positive)input and discussion.
You've all motivated the project.  More to follow.  >:D >:D

Bergmen said:
Wingedspirit said:

I have a spare 2005 Concours frame you can have free if you want it (brand new).

Dan

Thanks Bergmen for your kind offer. Got one locally for $25.  I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Wingedspirit said:
Bergmen said:
Wingedspirit said:

Dan

Thanks Bergmen for your kind offer. Got one locally for $25.  I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Very good! It is a bear to ship these things anyway. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dan

Thanks guys for your support.  Yep...win or lose we'll give it our best shot.
I'm committed to make this work! Initial checks won't take long, but getting the whole thing done might.
Busy time of year for me.  I'll take some pics and keep you all posted.

When you get a chance to look it over, let us know your initial thoughts.
  ie; Does it look do-able or not, and what do you think will have to be modified.

Ride safe, Ted

Finally got a chance to do a mockup on the swingarm. No measurements or geometry details were taken yet.
It fits in the frame fine. Looks like the driveshaft cover flare will need to be cut back some for starters.
It appears to be about an inch longer that the C10 arm. I have a few pics and will post as soon as I can get them to fit here.  I also checked to be sure the coupling splines will work from the C10 output to C14 driveshaft.
They do! I'll do more detail as time allows. Cheers!  >:D

I think a big concern is going to be the geometry of the suspension.
I know you haven't done detailed look yet, but,,, what about the shock/rocker/links?
Do they look feasible?

Ride safe, Ted

Not sure about the rocker links yet Ted. It did look like the shock area was too tight. Probably need to do some relocation or move shock mount. Yes, the geometry will be another big can of worms. Still a lot to check. This is a backburner project as I'm doing front and rear 17"
wheels, fork and brake rebuilds and probably carbs and cam from Steve to be ready for the season.
Thanks!
Dean

I wish. Progress took a step back with the purchase of a C14 and sale of the C10 to my son.
We'll resume other upgrades like wheels and shock though.
Thanks Ted.