• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 = Tire shredder?

drop_center

The heaviest bike I've owned is blackbird.  I was lucky to keep the front tire nice and round for more than 1500 miles at 42psi. I could get about 6000 out of the rear also at 42psi.

I'm wondering if the C14 would be any worse? I'd have to imagine my corner speed would be a little slower but that's still a lot of weight bearing down on those tires. To be fair, I never used the pilot road 2 or 3 (the best for wear I hear), just Metzler Z6's.  I'd be using PR3's on the C14 for sure.

Thoughts?

I get about 6,000 out of a set of PR3s.  I could probably get a little more out of the front, but I like having new rubber on both ends of the bike.  I have an '08 C14, no ABS or linked brakes, I generally stop using only the front brake.  I think some of the rear wear is due to commuting in town, taking off from stoplights and stop signs causes some slippage of the rear wheel even when being careful.

Tire longevity is all over the place (no pun intended) on this bike- some are eating tires in a few thousand miles while others seem to have them long enough to have dry rot attack the sidewalls. The big variables seem to be how hard the particular bike is ridden of course but also the local roads and the normal temperatures; tires seem to wear faster in warmer climates, just as an observation.

The C-14 is quite a bit heavier than a Blackbird and so will probably yield considerably less mileage than the same tire on that bike. But as you mention changing tire types, it is anybody's guess as to how that will work out. PR2s do seem to be the mileage champions on this bike at least amongst the popular tires which are Pirelli Angels, Michelin PR3s and the already mentioned PR2s. I have used all three sets and found that the Angels wear the fastest followed by the PR3s and then the PR2s. All are great tires in my opinion so if mileage is the main concern in the final tire choice, I would suggest PR2s. I am currently running PR3s and will probably stick with them (OK, pun intended) for the next tire change or two; they are a little softer than the -2s and perform just a bit better overall.

Brian

RyanP said:
The heaviest bike I've owned is blackbird.  I was lucky to keep the front tire nice and round for more than 1500 miles at 42psi. I could get about 6000 out of the rear also at 42psi.

I'm wondering if the C14 would be any worse? I'd have to imagine my corner speed would be a little slower but that's still a lot of weight bearing down on those tires. To be fair, I never used the pilot road 2 or 3 (the best for wear I hear), just Metzler Z6's.  I'd be using PR3's on the C14 for sure.

Thoughts?

RyanP said:
  I'd be using PR3's on the C14 for sure.

Thoughts?

The general consensus for the rear is a 190-55-17 not the 190-50 that comes on it.  It gives better handling I am told.  I have a 190-55 sitting in the garage when I wear out the 190-50, which should be by 9-2-12 after my trip to WV  ;D  I got around 6k miles out of the 1st PR3, I am on my second and hope to get that much out of it.

My biggest thing is that I too like new tires, nothing feels the same and as soon the front at they starts to get a straight edge 1/2 way to the edge, the handling goes to sh**.  I have a feeling that if I went through the corners at a greater variety of lean angle it might be better, the far edges get scrubbed, but hardly anything compared to 1/2 way over.

My other question is, I've only toured on a 180 on a 5.5inch rim.  Since the C14 and pretty much everything else I'm looking at has a 190 on a 6" rim, will it theoretically flat spot slower in the center because the patch is bigger?

I got 11K out of my first PR3 rear and I'm still on the same PR3 front after 12K and I expect to get another 3K from it as I still have 3/32" tread left from the original 9/32". What are you guys doing to wear these tires out so fast?

Joe
2010 C14

having fun on old worn out twistie roads, lol
023 history seems 4k out of the rear and 6k out of the front. New pr3's on now for a millage test for me under my conditions.
55 rear the last 3 or 4 on my 09. the pr3 55 is pointier than the 023 55 rear. (just an observation)

Well, I know I've had fun on twisty roads, the PR3s are scrubbed to the sidewall edges. I will be interested to see how many miles beyond 4,100 on them I can go.

On my ZX14, I managed to get really good mileage out of tires, even though I was known to pull small wheelies shifting at 60 mph. The last set of PR2s on it were still on it after the 2011 National, after being traded in, after being bought and ridden down to and on the Dragon, and all the way back to Canada.

So I am completely mystified what makes tires last or not last. Because it doesn't seem to be directly related to how I ride. Though I've been told riding "smoothly" increases mileage.

I have about 3,000 miles on the PR3's, and so far, I'm happy with the mileage and the performance (more important for me) as compared to the previous tires.  For what it's worth, I'm comparing the PR3's with the original Bridgestones, so not much of a contest.