• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 up on stands wheels off , but safe till i get the new tires on

anthony2008

Mini Bike
c14onstands1.jpg
c14onstands.jpg
  safety is number one in a few days ill get the tires on and back together , on the road 

I put a new front on last fall ... will be changing out the rear this weekend ... gotta get ready for Bike Week trip.  woohoo!

What are you using under the jack to prevent crushing the exhaust pipes and lower fairing?

I usually use a fork stand in the front when I have the front/rear off for rubber swaps..works fine just need to make sure to bungee it so it cannot slip off :)

Mad River Marc said:
What are you using under the jack to prevent crushing the exhaust pipes and lower fairing?

I usually use a fork stand in the front when I have the front/rear off for rubber swaps..works fine just need to make sure to bungee it so it cannot slip off :)
It doesn't take much force to raise the front tire off the ground when the bike is on the center stand.  I've got the same platform type motorcycle stand/jack too, but in this case, I found it a lot easier to use a regualr floor jack to nudge the exhaust header up, with piece of plywood or 2x4 as a cushion.  I just did that to change my front tire to PR3.

If I were to leave the bike without wheels for an extended period, I would probably support the front forks by slipping a pipe through and then support with a jackstand.

I've got my wheels off my '11 as well.  I'm getting some Pirellis put on.  I like the black wheels on the '12 model so much I'm getting mine powder coated black, as long as they're off the bike anyway.  Found a local guy that does really nice work.  $50 per wheel.  Sold!
I've got a Pit Bull front race stand (pin style) for the track, but it unfortunately doesn't work on the C14 - the fairing gets in the way.  I didn't want to spend $120+ on another stand, so I looked around and found one on sale at Cycle Gear for $45. Check their website, I think they still have 'em.
Works great with one exception: it jacks up the front so high the rear tire touches.  So I put a 2X6 under the centerstand first, then jacked up the front on the new race stand.  Seems to be very stable.

anthony - Sacramento said:
c14onstands1.jpg
c14onstands.jpg
  safety is number one in a few days ill get the tires on and back together , on the road

anthony, where is your jack lifting the bike from? I have a jack like that and didn't use it because it'd either be hitting plastic or lifting it by the pipes.

I was going to ask the same thing because I've alwas been puzzled with those bike jacks. I assume it is lifting via the header pipe?

slidebite said:
I was going to ask the same thing because I've alwas been puzzled with those bike jacks. I assume it is lifting via the header pipe?

I don't know if I'd lift the bike from the header, then all the weight is on the header bolts. That's why I'm asking too... if there is a way to do it I'm interested.

DanL said:
anthony - Sacramento said:
c14onstands1.jpg
c14onstands.jpg

anthony, where is your jack lifting the bike from? I have a jack like that and didn't use it because it'd either be hitting plastic or lifting it by the pipes.
  the lift on the front is not lifting , after i took the rear wheel off , i slid this under just to support the bike , believe it or not ,  once i had the hole bike flat on the ground, so now i make sure that center stand dose not fold ,

Looks good! Did you put a wood block or someting else under it so it's on the motor and not hitting your header? I know it's just giving some support to the center stand, but be careful that your not putting stress on those header bolts :-\. I've done the front/ rear take off with my Aprilia (front and rear stands) but only one at a time with the Conk...

Motor

Motor659 said:
Looks good! Did you put a wood block or someting else under it so it's on the motor and not hitting your header? I know it's just giving some support to the center stand, but be careful that your not putting stress on those header bolts :-\. I've done the front/ rear take off with my Aprilia (front and rear stands) but only one at a time with the Conk...

Motor
  the pic dose not show the little block of wood on the other side , the header is safe ,  :)