• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Camshafts

Gramps03

Big Wheel
I am in need of a pair of camshafts and set of rockers. Mine are pitted very badly at 52k.
Yup, must have had the wrong oil in her at some point... :'(
Does anyone have a good pair to sell?
Thanks...
Gramps03

Steve in Sunny Florida has cams and alot of good stuff for a ZG1000. This man is one of the go to guys in the forum. Couldn't find a better man to deal with.

Go here: 

http://sites.google.com/site/shoodabenengineering/

Pitted cams on a Concours usually is not a problem unless it damages the rockers. Most of us Concours have noticed pitted cams. Noticed mine were pitted at 20,000. At 94,000 it's still running fine. Talk to Steve before you do a change. Some pics would help some. Post on the C10 forum also.

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Steve.
My cams looked perfect at 30K when I adjusted the valves.
At 52k I noticed metal particles in the oil filter and thought it was just from trans/shifting...
I am concerned as some of the lobes are very pitted.
I'll get with Steve and send him pics.
I'm considering purchasing a used engine to harvest good cams from. (if any of them are good!)
It's less than half the cost of new cams I've found so far.
Thanks for the lead.
Am riding a GL1800 now, but don't want to sell the Connie until it is perfect again...

Here's the best picture I have right now. (out of town with blackberry on the belt)

Attachments

• cams.jpg
    cams.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 153
Gramps'03 said:
Here's the best picture I have right now. (out of town with blackberry on the belt)
  I'm no expert but that looks kind of nasty to me. Hey Steve (in sunny Floriduh), You've seen a LOT more cams than me. Your opinion please. Tom

yeah, in terms of what I see from the cores that come in, that is really nasty.

I have some good oem cams in stock, and also have my Torque grind in stock. they're moving really well, I just sent 5 more sets out yesterday for grinding. Steve

Mettler1 said:
Zorlac said:
Maybe I should host a pitted cams rally?  :rotflmao:
    If you show me yours I'll show you mine!! :-*
OK, here ya go.
This was about 30,000mi ago, I haven't looked since.

t513qo.jpg

???
Well, guys, I went and looked at three used engines at a salvage facility intending to purchase a complete engine for $300 to pull the cams and rockers out of.
1991?, 2001, 2005. All had cams pitted nearly as badly as mine!
I made a decision...based on your experiences,,,
I adjusted the valves, (very little change needed) and I'm putting her back together as is.
She still runs terrific, no noises, oil consumption or driveability concerns.

Thanks for the advice and information.

Gramps'03

"I adjusted the valves, (very little change needed) and I'm putting her back together as is.
She still runs terrific, no noises, oil consumption or driveability concerns."

You Sir, are my hero!  :beerchug:
On the old forum the term "Bulletproof" was used often enough so I figured just exactly how would I test for that quality if I obsessed & nit picked over every little detail and perceived mechanical shortcoming?  ;)

One thing to note is SOME pitting on the cams is not uncommon on these bikes and may not lead to any problem down the road.  If they have obvious ware to the lobe and rocker though you may very well have an issue.

And, to the OP, it's not an issue of whether you mis-oiled the motor.  Kaw's cam vendor did a poor job hardening the cam lobe facings, the finish contains impurities, etc., that lead to the de-facing.  It's the unusual cam set that's intact after 50k, though the '86 cams seem the best-finished, least pitting.  One thing to consider long term is the pitting's effect on the rocker facings.