• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Can anyone change a tire?

mmsansone

I had the dealership put on two Michelin tires purchased rom Revzilla on my bike a few weeks ago. I did a trip and hit a nail at about 2,000 miles.  :mad:I plugged the tire and completed the trip, but it has a very slow leak 3psi/day. So time to buy new tires.....

Kawasaki charges $150 per tire. I just gave them $300 last month plus the cost of the tires. There is a Harley Mechanic with excellent reviews near me. he charges $90 a tire. I have never changed a tire on a bike. Is there risk going with a good mechanic on this one, if he is primary a Harley guy? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Did you have Kawasaki dealer remove the wheels? Take them off and take to the dealer should be $50 or less per tire, i paid $35

Is there a Cycle Gear near you?
I think they do it for $25 if you take them the wheel.

NOTE: As the tire is newish,,, remove the tire, and replace.
          Then {on the leaker} trim the plug on the inside, and install a patch.
          No more leak and you have  spare tire at the house..

Ride safe, Ted

Wish you were closer, I'm located about 30 miles north of Boston.  I have a No Mar tire changing machine.  I could change it for you very easily.

Thank you for the helpful feedback. Boston is about 5 hours from me, but I appreciate the offer  :great:. So clearly I should learn how to remove the wheels and stop paying $300 for the install......

Regards,

Michael

mms said:
Thank you for the helpful feedback. Boston is about 5 hours from me, but I appreciate the offer  :great:. So clearly I should learn how to remove the wheels and stop paying $300 for the install......

Regards,

Michael
Removing the wheels is pretty easy, I even can do it  :))!
You can find info and videos too , it seemed self explanatory to me other then knowing the torque specs .

Where ever you get your tires changed, make sure they know the wheels have TPMS. 

Take Care/Ride Safe,

Mark

If I weren't standing next to the guy that changed the last tire on the 14, it probably wouldn't have ended well.  I told him about it and by the time he was doing it he had forgotten.  He thanked me for the final reminder.  I think I would get a white tire marker and write all over the tire to be removed that it had a tpm.

I do my own but still mark the area I want to be careful about.Easy to forget in the heat of the moment.

Bud said:
If I weren't standing next to the guy that changed the last tire on the 14, it probably wouldn't have ended well.  I told him about it and by the time he was doing it he had forgotten.  He thanked me for the final reminder.  I think I would get a white tire marker and write all over the tire to be removed that it had a tpm.

mms said:
I had the dealership put on two Michelin tires purchased rom Revzilla on my bike a few weeks ago. I did a trip and hit a nail at about 2,000 miles.  :mad:I plugged the tire and completed the trip, but it has a very slow leak 3psi/day. So time to buy new tires.....

Kawasaki charges $150 per tire. I just gave them $300 last month plus the cost of the tires. There is a Harley Mechanic with excellent reviews near me. he charges $90 a tire. I have never changed a tire on a bike. Is there risk going with a good mechanic on this one, if he is primary a Harley guy? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

you didn't really explain what plug, or how you plugged it... so;
if you did not use the glue/cement with a gummy rope, or used some other type of "plug", simply go back, air the tire up fully, and use a fresh gummy worm rope plug, slathered in glue, and after reaming the "hole" with the reamer, slathered also, insert the plug, and re-inflate.. these things just simply "don't leak".. when done correctly; and they will last the life of the tread, when the plug is in the tread, forever.  you pretty much can't pull one out, even from the inside, when done correctly.

Cycle gear is the way to go .  Like someone else already said $25 if u buy the tires from them.  Their prices are comparanle to the lowestnprice on sale and i think they may price match.  But i know my local Savannah cycle gear is shut down for the corona virus. 

Cycle Gear will also balance tires for free if you buy from them and have them mounted.  Of course you have to bring them the tire. Has anyone ever had a motorcycle tire balanced mid-life?

viffer_pilot said:
Cycle Gear will also balance tires for free if you buy from them and have them mounted.  Of course you have to bring them the tire. Has anyone ever had a motorcycle tire balanced mid-life?

YES!!  I had tires changed at Cycle Gear in Fresno and had them remove the TPMS (dead batteries).  I changed the batteries (with the help of this FINE, FINE forum) and re-installed them myself, with the Big Clamp Method.  (Again, thanks COG!!)

I then noticed a vibration above 95mph so I took the wheels off, took them to Cycle Gear in Visalia and they HAPPILY, and without hesitation re-balanced the wheels!!  ...and yes, the balance was off!! 

Great place, Cycle Gear!  I've had very good luck with them so far!!!!

.....and if you don't buy the tires from them, they charge $50per tire.  Its on their current april catalog...which is still far more reasonanke then the dealers cost, unless ur not mechanically inclined. 

I love taking my tires/wheels off because 'i' get to do the visual checks on brake pads, lubeing up the axles and checking the bearings for wear. 

konehead said:
.....and if you don't buy the tires from them, they charge $50per tire.  Its on their current april catalog...which is still far more reasonanke then the dealers cost, unless ur not mechanically inclined. 

I love taking my tires/wheels off because 'i' get to do the visual checks on brake pads, lubeing up the axles and checking the bearings for wear.
Since Cycle Gear merged with revzilla you get the in house discount with tires bought from revzilla.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 146
konehead said:

I am certainly NOT a mechanic, but I agree with Konehead on this point. I read an article years ago in a bike mag that basically said "the most professional person that can work on your bike is you" because it's your butt that's going to be body-surfing down the asphalt if, for example,  the axle nut isn't tightened properly.

I just bought a sweet 2019 C14 and I have been pestering fellow coggers no end trying to learn as much as I can about the bike. I want to know as much and do as much as I can, within my limits. Getting the machinery and learning how to change tires is on my list because I plan to put a lot of miles on Miss Traveller, and I am way too cheap to cough up hundreds for labor every time I need new rubber.

I'm w Ted on this one. Go to cycle gear. Or just buy a HF three machine and sum stick ons. I wouldn't let a Harley mechanic touch my bike... Unless I needed some chrome lol

I want to learn how to spoon on my own tires.

The nearest Cycle Gear locations to me are a couple hours away, so that's not an option for tires. I checked the Tech pages and found an interesting  article by David J. Morrow from 2005. He uses 2x4s to make a wheel holder/bead breaker (I tried to import it here but the pictures did not transfer). I have lots of scrap wood and the skills to build the setup he describes. Of course I would still need a balancer. I have a compressor and have/can get more spoons.

Or do I need to go this route?:

Douglas said:
Or just buy a HF three machine

I found two Hazard Fraught items that seem to fit the bill: #69686 Pitts portable tire changer $39.99, and #60810 M/C tire change attachment $37.99. Total $77.98 so far.  Are these what I want or is there another HF M/C tire machine?

Any thoughts appreciated.  :great:

I bought my own tire machine/tools about 15 years ago and spent 600.00 on a Wicko/US made system. It paid for itself the first year! I thought about going the cheap route, make my own, etc. but decided I would rather ride. I have heard of the HF models breaking at poor welds, and on a cold day trying to mount really stiff touring tires or put on a car tire for a Goldwing darksider, you can really have to reef on things. If you have a good spot to mount one into the floor it really is a great addition. Part of the problem is all the 'friends' who will want you to change tires for them to save what used to be stupid expensive or non inclusive bike shop rules. (If you don't buy their overpriced tires they wont change your for liability BS)

It makes swapping rubber so easy, you can save money by using up more tires, like the 50% life left that you just don't want to take off for 3000 miles on, but will be fine for using up locally/commuting. Or you get the occasional friend of a friend who due to poor planning needs a tire change at 9pm on a Sunday night so he can leave early the next day for a cross country trip. I took his 100 dollars guilt free. It also allows some pay it forward opportunities as well, like the 20-something kid riding from Idaho to Seattle for a job interview and has the bad fortune to pick up a nail in his front tire in my town. Only bike shop is closed, so I picked him up off the freeway, changed his tire with one just like it, and had him back on his way in under an hour. I refused his offer of money.

I mounted my HF changer to a piece of scrap plywood in 2003. I used it once a month or more during my track days. If it cracked I'd weld it with my HF welder. Friends come over and change their tires regularly. I ask they bring beer. We hang out and socialize. It works.

I have yet to brake a weld but have only done 9 tires. Still getting the hang of it. I also mounting mine on a piece of plywood that is about 2' x 6'. Tool on one end and park a car wheel on the other. It stays pretty well. I also warm up my tires well in the rear window of the car. Sometimes when that last few inchs wont go I use a heat gun caredfully.

Any input on the 2x4 setup? I am really more comfortable with wood (Huh-huh; insert Beavis & Butthead joke here). Still waiting to hear if I have the right Hazard Fraught part #s.....play on :motonoises:

Uncle Vern said:
Any input on the 2x4 setup? I am really more comfortable with wood (Huh-huh; insert Beavis & Butthead joke here). Still waiting to hear if I have the right Hazard Fraught part #s.....play on :motonoises:

I use a box made with 2 by's, may or may not like you're referring to. Protects the rim & keeps the rotor off the floor. I have changed many sets of tires on it & so have others. Those manual type changers of any brand appear to work no better than tire irons. I have personally never used one, but I have watched the NoMar demos at rallys. With a homemade bead breaker & some quality tire irons you can change a tire in 10 - 15 minutes.

The nice tire changing tools will make the job easier but it can be done with tire irons. You need shop space for a tire changer but only a drawer for the tire irons. I only change a tire every couple of years and the hardest part is to break the bead. Many different youtube videos on how to do it. Look around and see what will work with what you have on hand. Most of the Harbor Freight  equipment will work fine for the backyard mechanic. Might not be the best as a high usage tool.

Cliff and JPD:

Yep, box to contain tire/ keep brake disc off floor. Long 2x to break bead. Spoons to do the rest. Learning curve for me. Will try the wood way next change and see how it goes, may need more spoons.

Thanks for the input :)

I used to send my car for tires. They jerks here want $87 to mount two tires that brought in. I just do it myself w my HF machine now. Easier than mcy tires! A friend came over and it didn't feel like work. I order tires on closeout from walmart.com for $32/each. (Treadwear 520 temp a traction a, 195/50r15 82V) funny thing is without balancing there's no hop at triple digits. Tpms seal kits are $10/4 on amzn

It is possible to change tires with a set of spoons. I've done it quite a bit. Not long ago, I came across a nice gentleman selling a No Mar CH200 Pro on Craigslist. I paid a whopping 100 bucks for it. After using it, I would buy it again at retail pricing. I'm working by myself in the shop 99 percent of the time. It made the job so much easier, quicker, and way fewer four letter expletives were used. Also, it doesn't have to take up valuable floor space. Mine is mounted to the concrete floor with Tapcon anchors. With the cordless impact gun, I can run the anchors out it less than a minute. You can also remove one bolt on two of the three arms, fold them toward the center, and it will be much flatter. Hangs nicely on the wall out of the way.

Jim said:
Mine is mounted to the concrete floor with Tapcon anchors. With the cordless impact gun, I can run the anchors out it less than a minute. You can also remove one bolt on two of the three arms, fold them toward the center, and it will be much flatter. Hangs nicely on the wall out of the way.

Curioser and curioser...the Tapcons I am familiar with run straight into masonry and stay in. Are using some type of sleeve-anchor Tapcon that the center bolt is infinitely removable? That is of interest since my garage-floor is concrete. I have lotsa room but there always seems to be junk in my way :-[ 

Still waiting for part #s from anyone that uses the Hazard Fraught setup ;D

I use tapcons on a plywood base for a tool I use infrequently. I marked the holes with a sharpie and pull the tapcons out and reuse them . I use the ones with a hex head. 

For my tire changer I just park the car on one end.It slips a little but does the job. I may punch a hole for the side opposite the car to eliminate that. It doesnt take up a much room as it loks like because you can place storage items on the base.
Wayne

Uncle Vern said:
Jim said:
Mine is mounted to the concrete floor with Tapcon anchors. With the cordless impact gun, I can run the anchors out it less than a minute. You can also remove one bolt on two of the three arms, fold them toward the center, and it will be much flatter. Hangs nicely on the wall out of the way.

Curioser and curioser...the Tapcons I am familiar with run straight into masonry and stay in. Are using some type of sleeve-anchor Tapcon that the center bolt is infinitely removable? That is of interest since my garage-floor is concrete. I have lotsa room but there always seems to be junk in my way :-[ 

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 143
Self acknowledged I believe it is better to do your own tire changes. That said......Depending on your living arrangement and ability, learning how to change a tire will pay for itself quite quickly. If you a have garage space you may be able to purchase a tire changer and, if not already owned, a few tools that will quickly show savings depending on riding patterns. If you do not have garage space and are mechanically inclined there are other ways to accomplish this. The advantage to doing it yourself is to purchase tires at a great deal and then mount them at a future point on your own terms not getting gouged asking a shop to mount a tire not purchased through them and thus paying higher mounting fees. Changing your own tires gives you the ability to remove tires with "life" left in favor of new tires for a long trip so that you can still use non exhausted tires. Understandably changing your own tires takes time and sometimes we need to hit the easy button, however developing the skills to do it on your own means you may not be at the mercy of supply or shop schedule. FWIW

[/quote]

Those are the part numbers you want. The setup needs some modifications to work better; do a little research. Thanks here are plenty of articles out there. I added Mojo Blocks to mine and a new demount/mount bar is a must; the standard one is a POS and WILL mess up your rims! Honestly, the last tire I changed, I used the HF setup to remove the tire (using spoons!) and mounted the new tire using zip ties (Google it!). Worked slick! Now, I question whether I would buy the HF rig again or just do something like you’re talking about.

I have the HF Changer, and have added Mojo blocks and lever.
In addition to my Motorcycle tires I've used it to mount 4 Model T Ford Tires.
That one use, "totally" paid for the changer with less frustration, scratched rims..  :great:

Recently I added a Duck Head tool to the set up, but haven't tried it yet.
Yes, I sed "Duck Head"..  :rotflmao:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUNTER-Tire-Changer-Machine-RED-Nylon-Mount-Demount-head-Duckhead-TC3715-TC3900/221807627610?epid=670125884&hash=item33a4c3cd5a:g:S04AAOSwzhVWqQdM

NOTE: MtnRider is trying out a Duck Head this weekend and we will see his report soon.

Ride safe, Ted

Couldnt find much info on what this duckhead does.  Whats the scoop on this? Thanks

connie_rider said:
I have the HF Changer, and have added Mojo blocks and lever.
In addition to my Motorcycle tires I've used it to mount 4 Model T Ford Tires.
That one use, "totally" paid for the changer with less frustration, scratched rims..  :great:

Recently I added a Duck Head tool to the set up, but haven't tried it yet.
Yes, I sed "Duck Head"..  :rotflmao:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HUNTER-Tire-Changer-Machine-RED-Nylon-Mount-Demount-head-Duckhead-TC3715-TC3900/221807627610?epid=670125884&hash=item33a4c3cd5a:g:S04AAOSwzhVWqQdM

NOTE: MtnRider is trying out a Duck Head this weekend and we will see his report soon.

Ride safe, Ted

found two Hazard Fraught items that seem to fit the bill: #69686 Pitts portable tire changer $39.99, and #60810 M/C tire change attachment $37.99. Total $77.98 so far.  Are these what I want or is there another HF M/C tire machine?

Any thoughts appreciated.  :great:
[/quote]

Uncle Vern,  Those two HF tire changer tools should do the job for ya.  You might want to go on youtube to see if someone made a video using the same tools to change a motorcycle tire just so you know what your getting into. I've changed a LOT of bike tires and can say 17" sport tires are some of the easiest tires to change. You should also check out the videos on the No-Mar Tire changer, this is the one I have.  They also have a few good videos of 17" tire changes. 

I realize I'm in the minority here, but that's fine. Just don't see the need for a tire machine myself, space is not a issue for me as I have plenty. Spoons & my homemade bead breaker are no problem. I even have the option of going to town to my neighbors dealership & using his air operated machine for nothing. Can have them mounted quicker than I can make the 15 mile drive.

I'll post my set up even though most want a tire machine. The yellow thingy is the best thing you own for mounting your own tires. Even with a machine!  :)

Attachments

• DSCF3049.JPG
    DSCF3049.JPG
    346 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF3047.JPG
    DSCF3047.JPG
    275.8 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF3050.JPG
    DSCF3050.JPG
    312.8 KB · Views: 158
I've seen Cliff change tires and it's amazing how fast he can do it.
  Don't recall him using the yellow "thingy"??  :-[
  Guess I need a refresher course...

Since watching him, I've been doing mine {kinda} like he does.
Built a wooden frame etc..

I can do it {eventually}, but not a easily as he does..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
  Don't recall him using the yellow "thingy"??  :-[

Ride safe, Ted

The yellow thing is basically a third hand. That's the actual name of it, sold by No Mar as a accessory to there tire machines. Google No Mar yellow thing.  :motonoises: 

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I REALLY suck at changing tires....    :(

The new tires arrived Saturday which was earlier than expected. Yea UPS! I changed the front tire Saturday PM and the rear Sunday. Tried the duckhead and it "worked" somewhat & then went to tire irons. I got the job done but it took longer than it should and was way harder (for me) than the Youtube videos show.  :-[  Wasn't really a fair test of the DH as the operator is pretty incompetent.

Bottom line on this is I'll just pay to have it done from now on. This just isn't for me.  :truce: :truce:    :D

Took the bike out for a short test ride & it turns in much better now without that commuter flat center section profile.    :great:

So, if anyone in the Denver area wants a Harbor Freight tire changer with motorcycle attachment I have one available. Same price as I paid for it - FREE. Just come pick it up. Comes with a wheel balancer, too.  Just send a PM.

Leo

That video of the use of the duck head was, at best, misleading.  That tire had pretty soft sidewalks and obviously had been on/off that rim multiple times.  Pretty sure it wasn't that guy's first attempt. Don't be so quick to surrender. Take some time and don't worry about how fast you do it. Work on technique. Heck, you've already got the tools, learn how to use them.

If I was 10 years younger, yep. But I do it so little my poor old muscle are NOT happy today...  :rotflmao:    But I do appreciate the "don't quit" encouragement & usually I'm too stubborn to let it go. My wife was aggravated at me for even doing these but I had the tires here and they were NOT going to win!!!    :)) :))

& I can afford to pay someone so I'll go that way.

I have a modified HF changer, mojo bar and nomar yellow thing for my tire changes. It takes a little technique but once you get it down it goes pretty quick. You do have to be mindful of the brake rotors. When I do the front tire I take the rotors off.

Based on some videos I saw linked to this thread, it looks like my first buy should be a $20 bead breaker from HF. Anyone know part #? Will check their site. Looks easier than building a long 2x4 lever and siting it in my garage. I liked a video where a guy warmed his new tire with a hair dryer and used Gorilla Tape to compress it before slipping it on the rim. Comments?

I use a bead breaker from Motion Pro. Don't recall wwhat I paid for it but works well and is quite compact (I carry it when I'm riding my Versys X300 which has tube tires).

Uncle Vern said:
I liked a video where a guy warmed his new tire with a hair dryer and used Gorilla Tape to compress it before slipping it on the rim. Comments?

Admittedly I haven't seen that video. The thought of heating up a tire with a with a blow dryer is almost amusing. I just can't see a blow dryer getting a tire warm enough to make a difference.

Good ole fashion sunshine works wonders. Just lay it out in the drive while you're doing something else. If it's sunny but not real hot, put it in a black trash for extra heat build up.  :)  If it's cold out, just bring them indoors the day before.

I have used my heat gun on the last few inches a few times, it doesnt take much. I also stick my tires in the rear window of the car, heats up pretty good.

Just Cliff said:
Uncle Vern said:
I liked a video where a guy warmed his new tire with a hair dryer and used Gorilla Tape to compress it before slipping it on the rim. Comments?

Admittedly I haven't seen that video. The thought of heating up a tire with a with a blow dryer is almost amusing. I just can't see a blow dryer getting a tire warm enough to make a difference.

Good ole fashion sunshine works wonders. Just lay it out in the drive while you're doing something else. If it's sunny but not real hot, put it in a black trash for extra heat build up.  :)  If it's cold out, just bring them indoors the day before.

I was daydreaming of mounting up my new RS2's by myself Ha!
They are Sooooo stiff I'm just going to take it to the machine.

The 17" tires on our bikes typically go on pretty easy with a little bit of lube.  Make sure your pushing the area of the tire opposite from the area your trying to lever over into the drop center of the wheel and you should have little trouble.  I also remove/unscrew the core of the valve stem when I put air in to seat the bead.  40psi should or less seats it every time on these tires.

Mostly I was interested in his use of Gorilla Tape to avoid the need for machines other than the bead breaker.

Nickrides said:
I was daydreaming of mounting up my new RS2's by myself Ha!
They are Sooooo stiff I'm just going to take it to the machine.

I spooned a set of RS2's on my wheels. Wasn't too bad.
Heated them in the sun first.

Ride safe,Ted