• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Can't figure out where this bolt came from

denver6

I recently moved from Colorado to North Carolina. When I unloaded the bike from the trailer, I found a bolt, washer and nut on the floor. I looked for where something is missing, but I don't see a spot where they would go. For reference, the bolt is identical to the ones used for attaching the front brake calipers. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob Jamison

Attachments

• bolt and nut.jpg
    bolt and nut.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 18
  • bolt head.jpg
    bolt head.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
That bolt appears to be approximately 1/4" x 2.5" which is equivalent to 8mm x 64mm. I found only one place on your bike where there is a similar, but shorter (40mm) bolt - the front fork pinch bolts - 92153 in this diagram.

1714072682205.png

I recently moved from Colorado to North Carolina. When I unloaded the bike from the trailer, I found a bolt, washer and nut on the floor. I looked for where something is missing, but I don't see a spot where they would go. For reference, the bolt is identical to the ones used for attaching the front brake calipers. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob Jamison
Rob since you stated the bolt looks exactly like the caliper bolts I am assuming you checked and all four are in place?

The locking nut makes me think rear shock…. I don’t think this could come out without a very clear noticeable sag but check the upper bolt on the shock….
Are you the original owner? I’m wondering if this fastener was used in lieu of a damaged or missing fastener?

Other possibility it might be a mount for an add-on for the handlebar?

Wayne

the bolt looks exactly like the caliper bolts
It is a caliper bolt. It 10mm x 60. You can scale that out pretty easy since he gave us a scale to scale :D

His 1-inch measures 1.23 on my screen.
1 divided by 1.23 is .81.
Now measure the diameter of the bolt on the screen, mine says .490. Multiply by .81 and you get .396.
10mm is .394.

Plus, there are no other 10mm tapered head bolts that I know of.

I am assuming you checked and all four are in place?

Thanks for all the ideas. BTW, I did remove a caliper bolt to compare and the mystery bolt is identical to the caliper bolts. And I do have all four caliper bolts, plus the mystery bolt with a mystery nut and a mystery washer.

I am the original owner and I have done all the maintenance myself (except for a warranty water pump replacement early on). Maintenance includes things like fluid changes, brake work, tire replacement, valve adjustment, fork seals, etc. I have mounted crash bars and have a few other accessories. So I have had the plastics off many times. The point is I could have come across this bolt just about anywhere or anytime, but I do not remember it specifically. I am getting old, so just because I don't remember it does not mean I did not come across it.

I checked everywhere that I can see - I had the plastics off while looking for mouse damage, so that helped expose more possibilities. I don't see any missing shock or motor mounts or any other frame connecting bolts.

I can see that the mystery bolt has definitely been wrenched on, so my guess is that I must not have re-tightened it sometime in the past and that allowed it to vibrate off and fall to the floor of the trailer. But like laker9142, I don't know of any other tapered bolts that size. I am really at a loss. The mystery bolt is large enough to feel like it must be important.

Oh well, I'll keep looking until I figure it out or finally just give up and assume the mystery bolt must have come from something else in the trailer. We were moving after all, so there was A LOT of stuff in the trailer besides the C14. But no other motorcycles. If it were not identical to the caliper bolts, I would have given up already.

Thanks again for all the ideas.

After you said you were the original owner I dug a little deeper. Turns out that same bolt is used to hang the muffler at the footpeg mount. That explains the washer and nut.

At first I thought maybe the 2 bolts that hold on the entire front pod assembly (headlight, windshield, etc) but those are 8mm. And should be checked fot tightness as some were loose at the factory and eventually fall out.

@laker9142 - Thanks for the answer! I did forget to mention I have a Delkevic exhaust. That went on probably 10 years ago. Since the Delkevic does not have the same bracket as the stock muffler, there is no need for the bolt. I must have left it in place just to hold the two bushings in place - I really don't remember. The two bushings were probably also on the trailer floor, but I did recognize them as being part of the same assembly so I ignored them.

Thanks again - I feel better now :giggle: