• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CB

coffee_brake

I'm so old-school that I still use maps and find East when the sun rises. I don't have a GPS, don't have a Blue Tooth, (don't really know what it is,) just a knock-off MP3 with earphones. I've always wanted to have a CB radio on the bike, though I've never used one at all, just the radio comms in the military. Does anybody use them much anymore? What components would you need? How do you PTT on a bike? I googled but I couldn't find anything. Does anybody on bikes have CB radio anymore?

My own opinion is they were good back in the day, when you didn't have a cell phone, FRS radio, etc. If you needed emergency help it could get you some. It could allow car to car - bike to bike communications etc. Now days with cell phone and coverage what it is, and things like FRS radio, Chatterbox for the M/C I think I would not bother. Seems mostly like a trucker thing. I have one in the truck and listen to it occasionally. You can find a few conversations here and there, outside the channels the truckers use on the freeways. On the main trucker channels is just a lot of foul mouth conversation if ya ask me. And thats coming from a guy who use his fair share of F words. 2003 Concours, 65K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

Family Radio System i.e. walkie talkie. Some of them really do have several mile range these days, but as with CB you need someone on your channel to chat with. While they are cheap in WallyWorld, the headphones, microphones and PTT switches for motorcycles are kind of expensive still. I saw on the Walmart web site a set made for 4 wheelers that might work. When travelling alone rely on your cell phone and mp3.

Jenn, I have a Chatterbox (brand) HJC-27A (model) 40 channel CB, see this link for pix/info: http://tinyurl.com/25tevun I have most all of the important parts (radio, antenna, various cables), including the optional remote handlebar control with Intercom Hookup (you'll see the picture at the link above). The optional remote can be attached to the top clamp bolt on your clutch reservoir on the left handgrip. I have the hardware for that I think. The "standard" Remote Push-To-Talk Control has a velcro strap that goes around the inside of your left handgrip. I also have the full face helmet speaker and microphone system. The antenna I mounted on the left rear turn signal stalk and ran the cable under the seat and under the gas tank, and then up the handlebar to tie it off. You'll need a handful of zip ties. I haven't uses this thing in over 10 years so I'm not even sure if it still works. My old riding group bought them in '99 for group ride purposes. We just kinda stopped using them because not enough riders had them. If you want it, it's yours for the cost it takes me to ship it to you. Contact me at scott-kaplan@comcast.net if you want more info, or to send me your shipping address. ScottText

Jenn, Are you looking for bike to bike or more solo aspect? When I was doing a fair bit more long distance riding years ago (2000'ish), I had a CB set-up from J&M. Helmet speakers and mic, cable from the helmet to a handlebar mounted pouch. The pouch had a cable coming out of it for a push to talk button. And a handheld CB (Midland CB) in the pouch that everything tapped into. CB was battery powered and had capability of external power cord. This all would clip to a bracket held on by the clutch mounting screws. Since then, J&M did/does have a complete handlebar unit with a MP3/music tap in, the JMCB-2003-. Then you have to buy the headset and connection cord. I think around $400 by the time your done, but a very complete system. http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/jmcb-2003.htm Now for traveling with the CB, it was handy when around other riders that had a CB. But what I really liked about it, most of my long distance riding was solo, and I could listen in to the truckers for informational purposes, weather situations, traffic jams, detours, which lane to stay in case of whatever happening up front. I found that very useful and saved my butt a few times. The Midland CB had an FM receiver on it so I could listen to tunes betwen CB monitoring and weather stations which was also useful.

Vic that's exactly what I wanted from a CB system, to listen in to road conditions and other information. I likely wouldn't participate in truck conversation. Most of the drivers are interested in the bike with the woman on it, I know they're talking about it because they crane around in their seats to look. Occasionally the interest takes a negative turn. But I'd still like to listen in for the information...and to quell the boredom when I just can't get off the interstate. Scott, I got your message, thanks...reply is OTW.