• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CDI for GTR 1000

ferabern143

a new CDI under restoration, the longest is to delicately remove the glue, the components are on order, to follow.... ;)
I will replace all polarized electrolytic capacitors with multi-layer ceramics.

1694293256-img-20230909-163041.jpg

Last edited:
it’s over, it starts at quarter turn without enriching and slow motion and well, now I finish the assembly and I will roll

1695368434-img-20230922-092253.jpg

here I am again, 250 more rpm at idle, resumption at all improved speeds, resumption on a little gas at 1800 rpm in the fifth without problem.
as I am not sure of the first hot interpretations a longer thermal analysis is desirable. ;)

Ferabern, (as I understand it) The C-10 does not have a Throttle positioning sensor, knock sensor, or mas air flow sensor? The only signal it receives is from the pulse coils?

The Igniter uses that signal to know when to trigger the spark.
It then advances or retards the timing based on RPM's.

My guess is the ZX-900 {or other) Igniter has a different spark curve than the ZG.
I assume that it advances the timing sooner, and/or at a different rate, and/or it supplies more total advance.

Do you have any instruments to look at the spark curve?
** If so, you could compare the differing Igniters.

Lastly is there any way to adjust that curve?

Ride safe, Ted

Ferabern, (as I understand it) The C-10 does not have a Throttle positioning sensor, knock sensor, or mas air flow sensor? The only signal it receives is from the pulse coils?
that's right

The igniter uses this signal to know when to trigger the spark.
It then advances or delays the timing based on the RPMs.
yes

I assume the ZX-900 {or other) igniter has a different spark curve than the ZG.
I assume this advances the timing earlier and/or at a different rate, and/or provides a greater total advance.
Yes, some CDI have a different curve, that’s what I’m trying to find out, for the GPZ 1000 RX it’s different, it’s for sure.

Do you have instruments to observe the spark curve?
**If so, you can compare the different igniters.
not!

Finally, is there a way to adjust this curve?
on the original CDI, no, it would be necessary to mount a programmable adaptable or to manufacture one from an Arduino nano module

my answers are clear enough ? ;)

I'm trying to follow.

The first Igniter you repaired was defective and your repair got it to work again?
If yes, yahoooo!

So, you have 2 igniters/same part numbers/ but internal components are slightly different?
Do you feel the different components would alter the spark curve?

What bike does each Igniter fit?

Looks like you changed the Transistors. (Used transistors with different part numbers)
Are the (different part numbered) transistors interchangeable?

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I try to follow.
Why? I’m not clear?
The first igniter you repaired was faulty and your repair got it working again?
If so, Yahoo!
I was given it, I tried and it worked, I changed the components for safety and it works even better and even better than the one I had on the bike
So you have 2 igniters/same part numbers/but the internal components are slightly different?
yes, I even have 4 more that of GPZ 1000 RX
and I will recondition all four of them and even the RX to give them a makeover.

Do you think the different components would change the spark curve?
not, the ignition curve is in the eprom,
1695508822-eprom.jpg

Which bike does each Igniter fit?
GTR 1000 21119-1111

Looks like you changed the transistors. (Transistors used with different part numbers)
Are the transistors (different part numbers) interchangeable?
Yes, I changed by more modern and better functioning transistors, Darlington types by Mosfet

Last edited:
waiting for missing components for the second CDI I modified the last two or I replaced only the capacitors, in tests I found no difference compared to the first or I also replaced the transistors.
I must receive a CDI of ZL 1000 21119-1203 from a friend on which I will replace the components, this will allow me to make a test on my bike to see the difference.;)

waiting for missing components for the second CDI I modified the last two or I replaced only the capacitors, in tests I found no difference compared to the first or I also replaced the transistors.
I must receive a CDI of ZL 1000 21119-1203 from a friend on which I will replace the components, this will allow me to make a test on my bike to see the difference.;)

Do you know if any or all of these cdi boxes have the resistor issue as part of the “anti theft” system? My ‘86 ZL does and I’m wondering if all the interchangeable cdi’s share this same annoying feature.

Wow this is interesting. Going back to my other thread claiming that installing a gpz900 igniter made a significant difference in the way my bike ran makes me question. Seems that the igniter I installed 21119-1110 (claimed gpz) is the same as 21119-1111 (original c10). Now you’re stating that you installed modern transistors and noticed an improvement. I’m now wondering if my original igniter was just failing and installing a different one that didn’t have worn components is the difference I felt. I will do some tests swapping out igniters soon. I have gpz1000rx and many c10 igniters.

I’m sorry I see you replaced the original capacitors with ceramic and installed new transistors. Why did you change the style of capacitor. It seems ceramic are quicker to react but don’t store as much energy. Also did you upgrade the transformer?

Ur probably not going to get a response from ferabern. He had limited time as a guest. If you go back.to.tje beginning of the thread he mentions he has a blog, try him there. I believe he's in France.