• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cee Bailey opinion and a question

phil7847

Big Wheel
Recently installed a CB Ultra Tour Domed to replace the stock screen on an '08.
I did a ton of research and finally went for this CB model because I wanted to reduce the buffeting and noise for me and my passenger.
It certainly does the job, but I am not entirely happy. Why?
- Fully down I get wind in my face as I expected, BUT it causes vibration on my helmet shield if it is raised. Annoying.
- I get a noticeable vibration from about 4-5k (a buzzing) that is irritating. Switched back to stock screen and it went away. Maybe I had the CB too tight/loose? Anyone else notice this?
- Too hot! Reviews suggested that I would still get enough air, but on the freeway in 80F+ it feels like I need air conditioning! I guess the screen is doing its' job, but it wont work for me in the summer.

No problem with the quality of the screen. It is a good product, but maybe not for me (still undecided).

So, now to my question....thinking of picking up a Kawasaki Tall Screen. I did hear that the 2011 screen is also an option. Anyone know the size differences between an '08 stock, '11 stock and the Kawasaki Tall?

PS: for reference I am 5' 10" and have bar risers fitted.

I just put my Cee Baileys Euro on my bike as Friday.  I know what you mean about it taking away a lot of air.  It's been over 100 degrees in Tx for a solid week so I think that is some of it.  But to your point, the WS really works well.  My 2011 has the taller shield to start and this one is 2.5" taller, and I say that I kind of miss the old screens all the way down position for lots of fresh air, but the trade off for me to have full wind protection at high speeds on the slab is a trade off I am prepared to accept.

For the sake of tinkering and providing justification, I put the stock WS back on last night and took a 30 mile ride this morning.  Wow..guess what?  The CB Euro went right back on.  There really is no comparison.  Plenty of wind in the full down position and great wind protection in the 3/4 to full up slot.  It would bother me however if I had a vibration or buzz from it.  Mine is VERY tight and buzz free.  Funny though cause I did have a buzz that has gone away since I took the stock WS off, came back when I tried it again last night, and went away again this morning when putting the CB back on.  Maybe you should sell the Ultra and try a Euro.  Not sure what the torque weight is on the CB but I believe it's good to not over tighten.  Try loosening them a bit.  I bet your buzz/Vibe goes away.
Also just noted that you gave gave the 2.5" shorter stock screen than came on my 2011.  Given that you really probably would prefer the CB Euro or even the stock 2010/11 screen at 5'10".  At 6' it was just about 1.5" too short for me.  I'm 6'0".

CB will cut that shield to any height you want. Just send it back to them.  No charge and they pay postage. I dont know about both ways, but at least one way.

I'm not sure the exact differences in height,but i have the Cal Sci medium (used to be called large) and it is a bit higher than the original one that came on my 2011. It has a "T" shaped hole in it that is supposed to be the reason for less back pressure and turbulence ,etc., It does seem to work well and I'm quite happy with it. When all way up it is very clean quiet bubble I'm in and it is a nice quiet....the stock shield had some horrible turbulence and buffeting.

I'd like to try the cal sci large  in some ways because I think it would be able to accomplish this without being all the way up...however, it would probably not allow me the "clean air" when in the down position that I get now with the medium one. From experimenting with this one....it is clean when all the way down...but raise it half way it is not quite as clean air hitting your helmet. This one is clean when full down or full up...in between it is "a bit dirty" (slightly turbulent) air ?

I would hate to lose the "clean down" position by buying bigger.

helix said:
I'm not sure the exact differences in height,but i have the Cal Sci medium (used to be called large) and it is a bit higher than the original one that came on my 2011. It has a "T" shaped hole in it that is supposed to be the reason for less back pressure and turbulence ,etc., It does seem to work well and I'm quite happy with it. When all way up it is very clean quiet bubble I'm in and it is a nice quiet....the stock shield had some horrible turbulence and buffeting.

I'd like to try the cal sci large  in some ways because I think it would be able to accomplish this without being all the way up...however, it would probably not allow me the "clean air" when in the down position that I get now with the medium one. From experimenting with this one....it is clean when all the way down...but raise it half way it is not quite as clean air hitting your helmet. This one is clean when full down or full up...in between it is "a bit dirty" (slightly turbulent) air ?

I would hate to lose the "clean down" position by buying bigger.

I actually prefer the look of the Cal Sci shieold over the Cee Baileys but had heard that fit and finish wasn't quite as good.  The large is 3" taller than the stock 11 shield if I read that right.

Quick update...I ordered the Kawi Tall Screen this weekend so I should have it in less than 2 weeks so I can compare.

Interesting note: I measured the 2011 screen and it is 3 inches taller than the 2008. The Kawi Tall is 3 inches bigger than the 2008 also. Different part numbers and different prices! Kawi Tall is $106, stock 2011 $260+ !!!

I went up the freeway for 30 mins each way to order the screen with the short screen in 90F and enjoyed the cooler ride! Yes, it was turbulent.

Getting the CB Screen cut down is an interesting option that I will consider thanks!

I have both the Cee Bailey Euro and Tour for my 2010 C14.

The stock (OEM) screen had waaaaaaaaay more noise and turbulence than I wanted along with helmet shake at Super Slab speeds.  I hated the oem screen.

The CB Euro was much better, but I wanted to try something a bit more.  So, I got the Tour.  All is good with that screen.  Now, I have a lot of risers on my bike ... so I sit pretty much upright.  Almost like on my Wing.  So, I'm cutting into the air more than someone with no risers, or just some blocks.  And, I use modular helmets, which are notoriously noisier than full face or 1/2 helmets.

I get enough air when I crank the screen down some in town ... or lift my face shield some.  And, I'm happy with the fit, finish and quality of Cee Bailey's screens.  I must have purchased 10 over the last 6 or so years for various bikes.  Excellent screens IMO.