• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cee Bailey Stress Cracks

Gary_T

I have a 26.5 Cee Bailey windscreen with the NACA vent. I have had it on the bike for about 5 years and 30,000 miles. Last weeek I noticed it is developing what appear to be stress cracks in the lower right hand corner of the NACA vent. There is one going diagonally out from the corner about 3/8" long, and a bunch of little tiny cracks all around that corner. It's a recent occurance, so I'm not quite sure how these cracks will progress. No big deal right now, as you have to look down for 'em to even notice them when you're riding. Not sure how big they'll get, though. Anyone out there with the same experience? Gary T COG#6469 CDA#0137 AMA #620041 '03 Concours "Phaedra" KB Steppers, Throtttlemeister, Russell day-long Cee-Bailey 26.5" {IMG} http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c280/GThorstenson/th_croppedbiker.jpg {IMG}

I had the same, but almost right away from new. Put the screen on, after a few mile ride noticed a crack coming up from the vent. I bought mine through Murph, emailed him about what happened and it was replaced post haste. Now I only have about 6 months on the replacement and no cracks yet. When I bought and ran the original Cee Bailey from the beginning, I had that one for about 4 years and no issues. Now I do swap between the Cee Bailey and a summer shield every year, so not a full year of straight usage.

Had mine on for about 4yrs, same small cracks but along the outside of the screws almost from the start. They didn't bother me, and didn't increase in the time I had it. Fast forward til a few weeks ago. Bike tipped in the garage and the shield hit the side of my paint booth. I had 4 separate pieces on the floor when I picked it up. My shield still had 2 pieces attached to the bike. None of the pieces that broke off had their cracks originate at the holes with the cracks. Now I need to replace it before winter. Oh, joy. Another $235 out the door, but that summer shorty just ain't gonna cut it here in another few months.

I don't think it has anything to do with the screws being overtorqued, as the holes aren't cracking, it's the lower right hand corner of the vent in the middle of the screen. It's too old to be under warranty, I'm wondering if this thing will last another 5 years, or if it's going to fail all at once going down the road. Time will tell

I also have a vent and it has a crack in the same place, It happened while in the garage over the winter last year,The screen was about 3 years old. It is about 2 inches long. I took photos and sent them to personal at cee bailys. They had no idea how it got there just said to stop it drill a small hole into the end of the crack, But they could not do anything about it, ANDY

Somewhat surprised by these remarks about cracks in CEE BAILEY windshields. I have a 26.5" CEE BAILEY windshield (with vent) on my bike. I have had it for 6 years or so and over 40K miles. Ride this bike on IBA rides...commute and ride this bike as main transportation (for me) every day. All year round. Commute is 76 miles round trip into the city of SF, CA. This windshield has been a godsend to me as far as riding experience, comfort, and clarity (seeing thru the windshield). No problems, so far, for me.

Bill Range
San Ramon, CA.
Corbin saddle
CEE BAILEY windshield (with vent)
Hole Shot-Dale Walker carb jetting and slip ons
Caterpillar O-RING for cruise control

I do love my screen, even with cracks, one thing i thought of. I had a towel rolled up in the vent to stop wind coming through when it was 20f one day and left it in for the winter, It might of froze and expanded in the vent.

A friend in the aviation maintenance business tells me, to stop a crack in a plastic screen from spreading you should drill a small hole at the end of the crack.

Locksmith said:
A friend in the aviation maintenance business tells me, to stop a crack in a plastic screen from spreading you should drill a small hole at the end of the crack.

I have also heard that. I guess it relieves the stress in that area.

cee bailly suggested that as well. i drilled the hole and 2 years no problems
Andrew howgego

I've seen the same thing.  About the same amount of time, but WAY less miles, but probably rougher ones.

I haven't done anything to them and they haven't gotten noticeably longer.  I'd guess it comes from the unrelieved or concentrated stress from the inner edges of the vent not being polished.  It's kinda a rough cut.  Not sloppy, but the marks from the blade are definitely still there.