• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Central Illinois Motorcycle Touring Group

As a COG member and Illinoisan I wanted to start a Facebook page so local motorcyclists can get together to plan rides/touring. If your in the central Illinois area, please join Central Illinois Motorcycle Touring Group. Thanks

gPink - If he's like me - he does't have many COGgers around him.

I ride far to ride with friends and if I used FB I could see myself doing something similar.

Funny thing for me is I live at the crossroads of 100 great motorcycle roads and most of my riding buddies (COG) are in FL.

Speaking of my FL COG buddies - a bunch are headed up to Casey for the Moonshine Lunch Run. Is that in your area?

Fais said:
gPink - If he's like me - he does't have many COGgers around him.

I ride far to ride with friends and if I used FB I could see myself doing something similar.

Funny thing for me is I live at the crossroads of 100 great motorcycle roads and most of my riding buddies (COG) are in FL.

Speaking of my FL COG buddies - a bunch are headed up to Casey for the Moonshine Lunch Run. Is that in your area?

Fais...about 3.5 hours NE of me. Not that far. I've been there in the past. Last year in fact. Too big of crowd in too small an area and too far to walk for a too long of line for a burger. Grew up in the flatlands and don't go back very often.

Too big of crowd in too small an area and too far to walk for a too long of line for a burger.

I was thinking the same thing.  THAT and they plan it to early in the year for a Northern event.
June, July, Aug, and Sept are the best months to ride in the north, yet I see very few things planned for that time of the year here.  ???
Maybe I'm in a minority as I would rather sweat vs. freeze any day of the week.  :nananana: JMO

On more thing - NOT ALL of use use facebook, so if something comes up, you might want to post it here too
otherwise some of us will never see it.

gPink said:
Fais...about 3.5 hours NE of me. Not that far. I've been there in the past. Last year in fact. Too big of crowd in too small an area and too far to walk for a too long of line for a burger. Grew up in the flatlands and don't go back very often.

Come sometime when its not sunny and 70 and the crowd really dwindles down, you will probably even be able to park in the grass lot across the road from the store.

SilverConnieRider said:
I was thinking the same thing.  THAT and they plan it to early in the year for a Northern event.
June, July, Aug, and Sept are the best months to ride in the north, yet I see very few things planned for that time of the year here.  ???
Maybe I'm in a minority as I would rather sweat vs. freeze any day of the week.  :nananana: JMO

There is a history behind the date, Terry (the guy who started it all) was a farmer and he couldn't do it later because of planting his crops, in the summer months he didn't want it to conflict with his motorcycle trips that he wanted to take, then in fall he would have harvest. So that's why its early. He also wanted it to be a challenge to get there, lots of people will fire up their bikes and ride with its sunny and 70, but it takes someone dedicated to ride when they know its going to be cold and possible rain, sleet, or snow (I've experienced all three on trips to the MLR).

Landon said:
Come sometime when its not sunny and 70 and the crowd really dwindles down, you will probably even be able to park in the grass lot across the road from the store.

LOL....Truth.

I'm excited about this new group.  The problem with the COG group here in central Illinois is they only meet once a month on a Wednesday night at 7.  If you work for a living it's hard to make it there.

Scott 2 said:
I'm excited about this new group.  The problem with the COG group here in central Illinois is they only meet once a month on a Wednesday night at 7.  If you work for a living it's hard to make it there.

they do?

Thanks for all the feedback. COG is a great starting place to meet others in your region and possibly locally. So far I have met a few people from my area on COG. I have a recommendation...........A list of cities in each state might allow for local social gatherings. Some of the larger cities such as Chicago simply have more population and by default have more local activities. Smaller cities such as Peoria Illinois or Peru Illinois just don't have the representation. I believe one solution locally is Facebook groups. I have incorporated COG into the FB site thereby representing it on a local level. This will allow others that like to tour that may not have a Connie to join in. Let's face it........we all like bike riding no matter what bike we ride. Yes, the Connie happens to be my favorite but I suspect we are in the minority of motorcyclists.