• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Changing front tire?????

jsmick1

Moped
I have a question concerning changing the front tire. I've done it twice, but for whatever reason (don't think I really want to know the answer to that....scary), I can't remember how I suspended the bike while removing wheel. I know how to remove to it, just not how to hold it up while tire is being changed.

Probably going to be my last tire change.

Thanks.....John/Sourkraut

I have highway pegs that I put jack stands under. I've also just put weight on the back end. I've also heard of people putting their center stand on a piece of wood that they they tie their rear end to, to keep it down.

Like john says above... weight on the back. I just tie weights to the grab handles and pull the front end up.
Jorge

3/4" board under the center stand then a tie down strap on the rear shelf hooked to a tractor bucket and snugged down will raise the front wheel about 4" off the floor - just enough to get the tire out from between the forks & fender.

I just jack the front up enough to place two jack stands, one under each of the tip over bars.
Very stable and secure.

I use a bottle jack under the oil pan It makes it easy to adjust the front end up/down to line up the forks wheel axle stuff

I ratchet strap the bars to the rafters in the shop AND block under pan.  But turbo oil lines prohibit much room down there to try and use a floor jack (bottle would probably work fine).

Just be sure to tie the center stand in place when using a jack.  It can flip up pretty quickly if you raise it up just a tiny bit too high.