• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cheapest place to buy tires online + spoon tire changing kit?

lanlinc

Moped
I need to get a new rear for my baby (nail went in and I tried plugging it, but alas it's still leaking!) so I want to change it out.  I had a friend who does tires on his and want to start doing this as well (too cheap to have bike shop work on mine). 

So like the subject says, cheapest place for the back tire and I've got AV46-st on it now and want to stick with Avons.  Do I need to stay with this 150/80ZR-16 or can I do something a little different for the back?  (mine's an 03).  I believe the Azaro ST is the only option for the stock rim right?  Any advice and/or links would be greatly appreciated.

I've used tiresunlimited.com  and  http://www.swmototires.com/  (I have 3 m/c's in my household).  Probably others out there. 

I have three 16" tire irons I use to caress my tire off and on.  Silicone spray comes in really handy for both mounting and removing.  With some patience and finessing I can break a bead with just the irons, and not damage my rim doing it. 

Be sure not to let any weight get on the rotor (prevent warping).  Recommend you grease the spline and propeller while in there.

Mark

I've had some luck with this site lately:
http://www.jakewilson.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Motorcycle+Tires&webTypeId=493&webCatId=57

Also http://psawonline.com/

Thanks.  Now for my silly question.  Do I need to stay with this dimension 150/80R-16 71V for the rear or can I do something else as long as the numbers are 150/80 16?  I guess I'm a little confused  ???

You need to stay with the 16, as it is a 16" rim.  I personally stay with the size kawasaki recommends, which you have on your rim.

There isn't a great deal of room available to go wider, and with the weight of this bike (sans rider, let alone with rider) I wouldn't go less.
Mark

Here is some info from:  http://www.motorbiketires.net/Reading-a-Tire.php

example: 180/55/ZR17

The first number, 180 in this case, is the measurement of the tire’s width in millimeters when fully inflated. 180 millimeters is 18 centimeters, or about 70.9 inches.

Our second number, 55 here, is the aspect ratio of the tire. This means that the tire’s measurement from inside the bead (which sits inside the wheel rim holding the tire within it) to the top of the tire is 55% of the tire’s width. In this example, 55% of 180 millimeters is 99 millimeters, or 3.9 inches.

The first letter is the speed rating. In our example the letter is Z, which means that the tire is designed to handle consistent speeds over 149 miles per hour – meaning here that this tire should handle any speed this motorcycle can reach, within reasonable limits.
(the speed rating chart didn't copy in right, so I snipped it)

The second letter here is an indicator of the tire’s construction. In this case the R indicates that it is a radial (tubeless) tire and is only suitable for wheels designed for such. Another letter you may see here is B, for belted, and motocross tires usually do not have any indicator.

The final two numbers indicate the size of the wheel, in inches, this tire will fit. For our example, that number is 17, which means it is for a 17 inch wheel.

Red Wyvern said:
The first number, 180 in this case, is the measurement of the tire’s width in millimeters when fully inflated. 180 millimeters is 18 centimeters, or about 70.9 inches.

Damn! Thats one wide tar!  :-\

Ahhh..........  maybe a tad closer to 7.09 INCHES!  ;)

It did.  Sure wish I could've gotten some more use out of it though.  Bought it in November and got the nail in it when the Tornado's came through...

You do know that Avon has a road hazard warranty I had a half used up one replaced for free a couple of years ago from swmoto which is where I bought the damaged tire. I bought a replacement from them and after changing them sent the damaged tire back, after a couple of weeks they got it adjusted by Avon and credited my credit card for the cost of the tire. I was only out the cost of shipping it back.

http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Avon_Tyres_MC_Warranty.pdf

Thanks.  So I'm seeing two tires on the rockymountaint site. 

140/80ZR-17 (69W) Avon AV46 Azaro

and

150/80ZR-16 (71W) Avon AV46 Azaro Rear

I believe the 71W is the one I want, but what's the diff?

Again thanks for helping out an old fart..

The 140/80 and 150/80 tell you the width and height ratio of the tire.  The second number (80) indicates the tire height is 80% of the width.  If you figure that out you will find that the 140 tire is 10mm narrower, and 2mm lower than the 150 tire.

In the end, it will not make a whole lot of difference, but you will have slightly higher RPM at any given speed with the 140 tire than the 150.

Well, since one is a 17" and the other is a 16", I think it would make a big difference. If your rear rim is stock, it is 16", and the 17" won't fit.

You might also want to see what the load rating is.

I just purchased a rear Azaro 150/80R16 for $126.88 including shipping from Chaparral Motorsports  . 

Here is the link - http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/avon-av46-st-rear-tire/330-5468.aspx .  Orders over $100.00 ship for free! 

DB

P.S. I am not affiliated with this company as a rep or employee.  Just a frugal biker!

Thanks for everyone's input.  Hey how about them spoons?  Anyone have any good place to get those?  harbor freight or someplace online?

I just ordered a set of Avon Roadriders, 110/80/18 and 150/80/16, from www.americanmototire.com .  $225 including shipping.

I just got an Avon Storm 2 from Dennis Kirk for 125 plus 15 shipping.  Seemed reasonable.  Last year I bought a rear tire from the dearler for 198.  I'll never do that again.

Just ordered front and back and Rim protectors and dyna beeds for $287.92 with free shipping  8)  Gonna go and get some spoons this week (probably just 2 large and 1 small with string holder) and I'll be good to go.  Thanks for all your advice everyone.  This'll be my first tire change and pretty excited.  Gonna make a bead braker out of 2x4's this weekend.  Can't wait to get back on it.