• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Check your GL1800 foot peg srews

dano59

Mini Bike
I have had my peg lowering kit from Murphs for a couple weeks now and love them. But this morning on the way to the shop I felt a clicking when I would move my left foot, after looking I saw the rubber moving around on the GL1800 pegs that come with the kit.
Got to the shop to find that the allen srew that holds the rubber on was long gone and the clicking I felt wat the metal piece that the screw goes through sliding around on the pedal.
I will replace the screw but as a warning, it might be worth a couple seconds to check those srews if you haven't done so. I don't want to use any kind of thread lock at the metal part you are screwing into could spin in the rubber if the thread lock held to tight when it was time to change the rubber.
Anyone else had this happen.

By the way, no reflection on Murphs of course as he just sent the factory new pegs with the kit as he got them from Honda.

Yep. Lost one out on the middle of Montana 800mi from home. Although it made it a lot longer that 2 weeks. And the replacement has been holding ever since. On the other side, the original get that came with the kit is still tight. Just checked them yesterday.

Got home and decided to check other side to find it without screw also. will pick up a couple in the morning.

Wierd that they both are gone so quickly. ???

The upper half of my left peg went missing in New Mexico a few weeks ago. Inspection of the right side revealed that no thread locker was used on the hardware when the peg was assembled for the kit. My bad... I should have checked it before I installed it.

Just checked mine. OK. However, I didn't get mine from Murph. They came from an individual, removed from his bike. They have an acorn nut as a feeler and an 8mm hex head bolt holding the rubber down.
Maybe from an older model GWing.

Lost the rubber on my left peg on the way back from the NW Regional.  :mad:

Has anyone seen just the rubber pads for sale?
Seems like this is a common issue.

just went out and checked mine.
Thankfully still good and tight. 8)
One thing to add to my checklist though.
Thanks

Colin said:
Lost the rubber on my left peg on the way back from the NW Regional.  :mad:

Seems like this is a common issue.

The knee-saver pegs are stock GL1800 pegs. The rubber and sheet-metal insert are available separately. After playing with these pegs I'm actually a bit surprised that Honda used them on their flagship bike.

I think they expect a large percentage of the owners of new GL 1800s will spend a bunch of cash on floorboards right away.

I've replaced one through the OEM fiche at my Kawi dealer's site, sent to Kawi dealer (no shipping that way and yes, it is a Honda part).  Ran about $13-15 or so total.

Here's the Bike Bandit fiche:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2004-honda-gl1800-gold-wing-gold-wing-a/o/m2393#sch307262

They get $13.11 plus shipping.

Thanks all, good to know, I guess I'll order one up.... or attend the next Seattle GW meet with an 8mm socket  >:D  :))

Colin said:
Thanks all, good to know, I guess I'll order one up.... or attend the next Seattle GW meet with an 8mm socket  >:D  :))
:beerchug: Great minds think alike.