• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

checking in from jacksonville, fla

Kitesurfer

Training Wheels
i've been a lurker around here for a few years.  wish i had joined up back then as there is loads of info i just found after registering that i could have been reading.  i currently ride an 07 bandit with all the bells and whistles. i bought it while searching for a c14 a couple years back--just can't get by that KEYPASS!    anyway, a fly and ride oportumnity has come up.  it's an o4, all stock, close to 30k miles for $3k.  the price looks good.  it was bought by an overseas guy--he and his wife toured some on it last year and will be putting a few more miles on it for their trip this year in a couple weeks.  so it's been stored at a dealer for the past year.  the pics looks good.  sight unseen and no verifiable history of maintenance makes me wary.  for $100 more, i could buy a round trip ticket in case it doesn't pan out at the airport.  my fear is getting 200 miles down the road and having problems--no tools, no experience on the bike and (no insurance yet).  am i sweating the load over nothing?

Welcome... But wait, there's more....  If you become a dues paid member you will get online access to the The Concourier magazine archive and the C10 technical compendium called Best of Chalkdust.

Hi Phil, welcome
In my opinion you are justified in some worry.  I would not fly to buy a bike sight unseen and expect to drive it home.  If I did I would have to have an out for the deal and the time and place to check the bike over and prep it for a trip.  So many things sellers will hide. 

I did the same thing though with the bike I have now though.  I drove only 80 miles to pick it up.  Drove it home because it felt ok :/  It had 16lb in the tires and the battery had about a half inch of water in it.

Another option is to have a person local, like a COG member, check the bike out and at least confirm it looks good in person.  Good Luck

smithr-scad said:
<snip>
Another option is to have a person local, like a COG member, check the bike out and at least confirm it looks good in person.  Good Luck

This was my thinking! Oh welcome Phil!  :)

Seein's how I'm a fellow Flowridiot, I'm thinkin' I won't be much help, but where is the bike? If you put a location up, I'm thinking someone will pop to go look at it for ya.

Oh, and welcome. I'm down in Lake County. Keep an eye on the calendar, on SE COG events section, and impromptu &non-COG events for stuff going on around here. Non COGgers are welcome at all events, just expect to pay a bit more if there is a FEE. Coming up is an RTE(ride to eat) at the end of August near Floral City at Sleepy Hollow, details are not posted yet, Winding Rivers and Roads Rally up in western NC the weekend after Labor Day, a non-rally get together near Talladega for Barber Vintage weekend, 10/6-10/9. Come and see what we are about, you may even wanna join the "cult"(COG).

Anyhow, if you're out and about, I'll probably see ya sooner or later.

Have fun.