• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Chicken Strips - It Took Awhile

bergmen

But I don't have any anymore. This after a set of L/R 100 mph sweepers with a full touring load:

2602309330053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

I didn't go over far enough to make sparks like Jenn did but it was pretty exciting to say the least.

Dan

Sweet Dan! That's on the 160/70-16, correct? i ran mine off on the 160, but not on the 170. The 170 profile is rounder on the 5" rim. I did mine a slower speeds though. You gonna go 170 next time? Might wanna check out the pr2-s and pr3's, Although I'm a lousy rider I could tell that I preferred the pr2 to the avon storm that preceeded it - Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
Sweet Dan! That's on the 160/70-16, correct? i ran mine off on the 160, but not on the 170. The 170 profile is rounder on the 5" rim. I did mine a slower speeds though. You gonna go 170 next time? Might wanna check out the pr2-s and pr3's, Although I'm a lousy rider I could tell that I preferred the pr2 to the avon storm that preceeded it - Steve

Yep, the 160/70 R17 Storm 2 Ultra. I've run hard before on these tires but I hit it especially hard on this trip. The opportunities just presented themselves better on this route than others. We were coming down off of the east side of the Sierras on Hiway 88 and as we got close to the flatlands, I looked ahead and saw these sweepers. I dropped a gear and hit the afterburners and layed her in there. As I went to straighten up I glanced at the speedo and was over the ton (never even knew what speed I was when setting up). Set up for the righty and kept her on the boil. Powered out at 110 mph.

Not one single wiggle or the slightest hint of instability through the sequence. I had fully loaded bags, a stuffed Moto Fizz with tent and sleeping bag and a cooler on the rack full of beer and ice. Just like on rails. I would consider other tires (so many outstanding choices to choose from) but how can I find a reason to change from the Storm 2 Ultras? 1,200 miles of hard mountain riding on this trip and not one suggestion of a traction issue on any part of the ride (with roads from superb to narrow, beat up back roads).

Life is good.

Dan

Bergmen said:
But I don't have any anymore. This after a set of L/R 100 mph sweepers with a full touring load:

2602309330053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

I didn't go over far enough to make sparks like Jenn did but it was pretty exciting to say the least.

Dan

3D_emoticon_231.gif

Thats awesome

Colin said:
And there's me with my ZGRX still on the bike-lift  :mad:

Way to go Dan! LoL  :motonoises:

Gives you something to look forward to! Tight bearings (swing arm and steering), stout and tight engine mounts, ZRX front end and those sweet, magnificent Avon tires and there you have it. Powering out with 25% more horsepower and torque doesn't hurt, either.

Any new progress reports?

Dan