• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

City or Country

City or Country

• City or urban area

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Country or rural area

Votes: 43 84.3%

• Total voters
I prefer the site to be city/urban so that there are plenty of walkable amenities and good riding nearby in county/rural areas. Gainesville, GA would be a good example. Atlanta is too big and have to go too far for good riding. My current home is too small to sponsor a large rally well.

I would prefer not dealing with the congestion in an urban area. That being said, the '08 Rally in Frisco was good. It had the amenities but with good riding nearby. I'm sure there are some smaller cities that would be suitable for a rally. As Robert mentioned, a city the size of Gainesville or such would be a possibility. Eddie Yes, I voted! COG Asst. Marketing Director Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

There are advantages to both, but everyone needs to vote on the poll. That way the organizers will have a better idea on where to try to locate one. tcars John

I went with country. Walking to things is very nice. But traffic congestion can definitely out weigh the positives. Besides, Fontana last year seemed like an awesome spot to me. When are we going back again? ;) Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

Country for me with some amenities nearby. I deal with traffic daily going to work, i don't wanna deal with it while on vacation. May I recommend either Hunter Mountain, NY or lake Placid, NY. Both areas have civilization within reach without compromising good riding roads. As a matter of fact BMW has their Fall Color events at Hunter Mt. and the resort also has trails for off-road bikes that would be perfect for COG members who ride KLRs.

From what I just read, 111 people have viewed this thread, but LESS than 30 have VOTED. It is a POLL folks, YOUR opinion is WANTED, DEAD or ALIVE! :) Never thought I'd have to ask to get people's opinion, especially here. tcars John

Remember John, some of us look at this poll more than once. :) I voted for Country but I could accept city IF the city isn't too big. Asheville, NC would be okay; Atlanta, GA not so much. I mentioned in the other portion of this thread that,IMO, the rally staff is what will make/break a rally. The qualities that Bob listed are necessary but it's the staff that will make the difference.

Same as most others. I want to ride where I never see a car but want enough stuff close to the rally site to enjoy life. Photos[/url]

Jim and all others: As for Atlanta ever being in the picture as a rally site, not if I've got anything to to with it. Heck, that is like sending someone to hell. Now for all those that live in Atlanta, I pray for you daily, pray that you don't get run over. tcars John

John, Don't get your shorts in a bind, I threw in my 0.02 worth here and on the other Nationals thread.

Some people might be confused about the fact they can actually vote for one or the other at the beginning of this thread. They may just think you are looking for comments. Personally I go to rallies to ride and socialize. My favorite rallies are traveling rallies with a different stop each night. Nice roads, good food and not having to sleep out in the rain are my priorities when it comes to a rally. Parking lots and campfires are good for the socializing. Someplace nearby that you can buy cold beer at the end of the day is always a plus. ;) I live outside New York City so I avoid cities like the plague when I'm on a tour. Sometimes I wonder :quest: why I don't ride a dual sport so I can get farther away from civilization when on a tour. Mike Aldea, COG-528 Hawthorne, NJ
2469478460102652906xWTIGW_th.jpg
2520423130102652906S200x200Q85.jpg
2710979210102652906GMlQTI_th.jpg

Kurt: My shorts aren't in a bind, rarely ever get that way since I re-tired. I see the number of those making a choice is rising, very good. After all, that is the democratic process, making your choices known. ----------------------------------------- Mike: I'd suggest you get a dual sport, then you can get away from it all rather quickly. Things change quickly once you drop off the roads. I have both street and ds on hand and my choice for pleasure riding is the ds almost every time. tcars John

John, I voted city but, to me, that means a small city that has the services that are needed and they can either be walked to or ridden to in a few minutes. I'm thinking of Potosi, MO where the Beemers do The Falling Leaf Rally for 700 or so in the fall. They do a similar thing (Shiloh Rally) the previous weekend at the Pickwick Dam in TN. Or, Elkader, IA where the Guzzis do a great summer rally for a few hundred at the city park. Or, Burkesville, KY where the European Bike Riders do a summer rally for a few hundred at the city park. Or, Spring Green, WI where the COG did a great, small rally last year at a local motel with camping on the huge, plush lawn of that motel. Or, Boyer Station, WV where the COG does a small Dog Days Rally in the late summer. Or, St Ignace, MI where the AVA (Kawa Voyagers) did their National for 250 riders a few years ago with camping at the KOA and several close-by motels. And by the way, IMO great riding in the area is not an absolute necessity for a successful rally. The IL Beemers (The Dinks) hosted a great rally for 25 consecutive years in Pontiac, IL and there are only two curves within a hundred miles and there's no scenery except farm fields. They held it in the fairgrounds in mid-summer and the riders just came and set under the huge oak trees and relaxed and talked with their friends. All for now. Ride safe.

No "site" is going to be perfect for everyone. That's why I think it's great that this club doesn't adhere to a strict format. We do a little of this, we do a little of that. We do whatever someone wants to step up and do! Some areas can fill resort hotels with their rallies, others have a tough time filling a dozen rooms. Does it matter, no. It doesn't mean that the area members aren't interested in that kind of rally, I think it really means they just haven't discovered what a COG rally is (or isn't). Built it..and they will come... Don't worry about the "poll numbers". You might not get 400 people, who cares. Me, I voted for country. I'm a camper. I've been the only person in the campground at one Spring rally! I've done my years in a tent, now I have a toyhauler. I bring my bikes, my wife, sometimes my dogs. And usually enough crap to keep my friends and family happy and entertained. Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649

Charles wrote: "I'm thinking of Potosi, MO where the Beemers do The Falling Leaf Rally for 700 or so in the fall. They do a similar thing (Shiloh Rally) the previous weekend at the Pickwick Dam in TN. Or, Elkader, IA where the Guzzis do a great summer rally for a few hundred at the city park. Or, Burkesville, KY where the European Bike Riders do a summer rally for a few hundred at the city park." I don't know what it is that the beemer groups can draw almost all to camping and their volunteer help is outstanding. The Ga beemer club now just takes over the Ga. Mountain Fairgrounds for most of a week and it is a beautiful site. As for the Pickwick Dam, I know where it is but just where do they camp. I'm also familiar with Burkesville, Ky, (Ky boy) and there was some great riding until they straightened out the roads. It is still good riding around the Dale Hollow Lake. And if scuba is your thing, that is some of the clearest water in Ky-Tn. Now if I can get away from some of the tasks here at home, I'm going to make a trip to the Trials Training Center near Chattanooga, anyone else interested. Warm weather of course. :) tcars John

John, The camping at the Beemer Rally at Pickwick Dam is below the dam in the State Park right along the river. It's a gorgeous site in a grove of mature pine trees. There's a shelter with a concrete slab and roof where they do the coffee and food, not enough room for everyone to sit down so they generally go back to their campsite to eat. I'd heard the GA Mountain Rally had been moved -- haven't been there for a few years but may go this May. It's generally a good event. I agree with Dave Muir on this one -- every rally has its own character and reason(s) that people attend. The area roads can be an attraction but the attendees generally just want to "kick the tires" -- see other bikes, meet and talk with old friends and make new ones. It's a time to relax and kickback. IMO, the attendees will tend to congregate where the Headquarters are located -- at a motel or campgrounds if that's where the registration, vendors, main activities happen. Travelling back-and-forth, particularly if it's several miles -- is less attractive because the attendees feel disconnected from the main group. Campers at Frisco were at a big disadvantage due to the weather, distance from the motel and lack of facilities at the campgrounds. Those in motels at most Beemer rallies are at the same disadvantage because just as the evening activities are beginning (the bonfire is lit, people are having an adult beverage, etc), they need to get on their bike and leave. All for now. Ride safe.

I think the question might need a bit of definition. You will never find a hotel large enough to host the banquet way out in the sticks. In fact, that seems to be the most difficult part to fulfill in the site search. Then, there needs to be enough places to eat, get supplies, beverages, etc. While I love the Fontana location last year with the setting, facilities and fantastic roads, it too had some drawbacks. Mainly, the attendees were fairly spread out between the hotel, cabins and camping. That would have been less of an issue if there were decent cell phone service. It was impossible to contact other friends attending that were scattered around. One of the reasons I go is to be able to connect with my COG friends. So, for me, a smaller town with good services, banquet facilities and good riding near by would be best.

Yellowstone is prolly closer to Bozeman :). Missoula would be a pretty good location though; it's right there at HWY 12 (goes over Lolo Pass (70+ miles of twisties).