• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

clutch and or transmission problem

hooch98

Big Wheel
My 98 Concours is having some difficulty. We took off for a ride two weeks ago and I was having trouble shifting, like the clutch was not engaging, we turned around and the next week I changed the fluid and bled the clutch slave till I had pressure again. With the bike on the center stand I started it and put it in first gear, tire spun with clutch engaged, releasing clutch killed the bike. I then drained oil and remove the clutch cover, engaged the clutch lever and only the front plate moved so I removed all the plates and cleaned them thinking it has sat for awhile and the plates were stuck together. I then replaced the plates,engaged the clutch all plates moved and after waiting for 6 days to get gasket I put the clutch cover on. I filled it with oil and tried again same result.Anybody have any ideas what to try next, I can't afford to take it to the stealer for repair, so I need to do it myself just not sure where to start. While writing this post I had a duh moment and realized it dies because I left the sidestand down, with sidestand up it stays running, but still spins when in gear with clutch engaged. I know this is a long post, but I wanted to explain what I have tried. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Possible star spring issue? -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Shawn, I am still unclear what the problem is. You say your having trouble with the clutch not engaging? So it slips after you put it in gear and try to take off or you have problems with it not wanting to drop into gear? With the back tire off the ground and the bike in gear and running it is not unusual to have the back tire spin. The question is how hard is it to stop it. If you had it apart and did not see the star spring broken or parts of it between the plates then I don't think it would be that. Photos[/url]

I can't stop wheel with my boot when clutch is engaged and bike is in gear and if I twist the throttle the tire spins faster with no revving of engine.

I had this same issue what color was your clutch fluid? here is what I did I replaced all my seals on the master cylender and the slave cylender so far so good I checked the star spring etc it was all good what had happened is prior to me getting my bike they had it sitting and the seals dryed out and basically I was getting air seepage also check the top of the master cylender that boot at the top was my prime suspect and I also cleaned the top of the master cylender with emery paper as I had some corrosion like stuff on mine. Let me know if this works for you the seals are cheap for a master cylender rebuild kit murphs has them the other parts were like 15.00 tops I think. Todd