• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clutch/Tranny Probs..

gromit56

Big Wheel
hey folks new to COG and the Connie world.. but LOVE my CONNIE... have a '97 Connie with close to 100K on it but in great shape. was out for a short ride, pulling away form a stop and all of a sudden i couldn't shift. was stuck in 1st. was able to pull in the clutch and coast but wasn't able to shift into any other gear. there weren't any problems beforehand with the clutch,,, or any hint of a problem checked the fluid and bled the line just to make sure. seemed to be ok.... heading to the dealership at the end of the week if i cant figure it out or if out of the range of my comfort zone.....

A common failure is the Star Spring Washer snapping this can give this symptom if the broken spring fouls the pressure plate. Check out the Tech Section I think the replacement is covered there. Or look in Chalkdust in the Library. Spares are available from Murph his info is in the Vendor Section. Easy to replace as long as you have a impact wrench and the honking big socket. Colin

The same thing happend to me (only I was stuck in third) The fix was easy, I replaced the shift lever linkage that had broke.

Update... finally solved It was was the Shift Lever Spring that snapped... but the coup de gras was good ol' kawi canada had this flipping $5.00 part on back order for a couple of weeks... thus giving the dealership mechanic fits as the bike was sitting parked on his hoist for 2 weeks.... after a little bit i realized i could have had one shipped from kawi US and picked it up in buffalo.... but their turn around was 5-7 biz days for shipping..... WTF... whats with these guys... the car industry wouldn't put up with this... and how could a manufacture NOT have a part in stock... especially in the spring when everyone one is getting their bike worked on !!!! i get my ride back tomorrow... FINALLY !!