• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG North Coast (CA) Campout, Oct 11-13, 2013

TxSkiGuy

Bicycle
COG North Coast (CA) Campout, October 11-13, 2013

>:D

SIGNUP available NOW here:

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=186497&mo=10&tDate=%7Bd+%272013-10-18%27%7D

Ride on Famous US Highway 1 up the California Coast!!

Dates: Friday & Saturday night, Oct. 11 & 12
Where: Manchester Beach / Mendocino Coast KOA
Address: 44300 Kinney Road, Manchester, CA 95459 (about 8 miles north of Point Arena on Highway 1)
Information: 707-882-2463
Reservations: 800-562-4188

Tent sites - 2 people = $35/night. Additional person: $5/night. Can have up to 6 people in one site so max charge would be $55/night. They actually even said you could have 6 tents (as long as you didn't spill into someone else's site AND you could park 6 bikes there).

Everyone calls and makes their own reservation. They should identify themselves as COG so they will group us together. Please indicate (in the NOTES area) in your reservation if you are willing to share a site, and we will try to match people up.

They also have Cabins available for rent - $71/night for one without a bathroom. Other options available too.

Weather (hopefully) is normally cool but clear that time of year - 50-60 degrees.

Check in is anytime after 3 pm; check out is by 11 AM

They have an on-site store that sells groceries and firewood, but we also saw a little grocery store in the actual "don't blink" town of Manchester.

:beerchug:

Attachments

• CONNIE298.jpg
    CONNIE298.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 120
  • CONNIE301.jpg
    CONNIE301.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 129
  • CONNIE299.jpg
    CONNIE299.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 119
  • CONNIE300.jpg
    CONNIE300.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 111
With a stretch and a yawn the SW area of California awakens from it's slumber. And it's hungry. Way to feed it folks. Great Job! Lovin' it!  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug:
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

I love this campground. Very friendly, the cabins, one and two bedrooms are great. Two rooms can be shared between two riders. Campground has nice bathrooms, and very nice showers. Small stores has brewskies and some snack foods. There are a few restaruants in town about five or more miles away. Amazing views, great walks on the beach.

GF-in-CA said:
Randy, so the plan is to meet at the campground on Friday?

Thanks,

Yes, roll into the campground sometime on Friday afternoon.  As we get closer, I suspect there may be some groups riding into the campground on Friday PM.  I will be coming from Benicia up to there.

Randy

Randy, will check with SO and will try to attend. Currently in the town of Mendocino beating the heat 72 degrees. HWY 20 to the coast, was a great ride.  :)

This is a fantastic area to ride and one of my favorites.  Also one of the best times of the year to ride.  I wish I could join you but I already have plans that weekend.  Enjoy!!!

Looks like my wife and I will be able to make it after all.  My first event :great:  We will be coming from Brentwood.  See you all there.

Randy,
If I don't go to the Texas Skydiving Family Reunion I will be there....scheduled the same weekend  :-[

Gregg

BUMP!!!

:campfire:

:clap: :clap:

I just bought a 1998 Connie last night! Awesome bike. I'm curious as to what your plan is for this event. Are there groups of riders going together? Do you do rides Sat and Sun? I live in Tracy.

David Layne

dld said:
I just bought a 1998 Connie last night! Awesome bike. I'm curious as to what your plan is for this event. Are there groups of riders going together? Do you do rides Sat and Sun? I live in Tracy.

David Layne
Hi David. This event is an overnighter meet and greet. There will be several rides/routes suggested. Jump on in. If your impressed with the bike you'll be even more impressed with the people.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make it to this outing. A family member is having surgery shortly before that, and I've committed to being around to help afterward. Unless something changes, I'll have to miss this one. :-(

dld said:
Unfortunately it looks like I won't be able to make it to this outing. A family member is having surgery shortly before that, and I've committed to being around to help afterward. Unless something changes, I'll have to miss this one. :-(
No worries. Hope you can make it. There will be more. I guarantee.

See ya there Greg. I'm coming out with my daughter. Thinking of overnighting in the Yosemite zone Thurs. In on Fri. back down overnighting in Kernville on Sun and home on Mon. Any suggestions?

Markk,

Don't really have any suggestions...we can talk about your ride home though.

I went by the KOA in Manchester yesterday....was doing a ride with the local group.

I will have a few suggestions for "being a tourist" also.  :great:

Gregg

Correction, my wife and I are staying Friday night and leaving Saturday morning......  looking forward to this ride...  See you all there

Mark,

If you want to come through Santa Rosa Friday you can ride up with Randy, Terri, possibly Scott and me of course!  :motonoises:

Gregg

Thanks Gregg. Here's my planned route in. Depending on when you guys are heading out I can drop south a bit. Anybody else that may want to jump in let me know. Planning on leaving Reno around 7 or 8 Fri morn. http://goo.gl/maps/WQMZ8 

MrSkydriver said:
Mark,

We plan on going Hwy. 128 also.  We should be at Hwy. 101 and Hwy. 128 about 2:00. 

Gregg
Sounds about right. Got your PM. We'll see where we are around noon. Looking forward to it.

I hate that I have to miss this, it sounds like an awesome weekend!http://forum.cog-online.org/Smileys/FantasticSmileys/cry.gif

DLD

Had a great time. Thanks to Randy, Buddy and Lisa for setting it up. Will try to get other pics posted up. On the 395 so of Reno on the way. 35 MPH? Yeah, Right,

Attachments

• DSCF1053.JPG
    DSCF1053.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 123
What a great weekend. We had a real good turn out, with 18 registered, but I think the final count was 20, not including the stray pup I picked up. While it was supposed to be a campout, it turned out to be a "camp-in" with just about everyone getting a cabin; only myself and Mark pitched tents.

The stray that I picked up was an 18 year old kid from Alaska heading south looking for warmer water to surf. I had just walked into the office and he was trying to figure out what to do when he was told how much it was to camp. I couldn't let this kid leave without hearing his story so I offered to share my camp site. And it was worth it, as he kept us entertained with stories of life in Alaska and his journey. 18, on the road with all his possessions in a homemade teardrop trailer and no real plans other than to head south.... we were in awe.

No accidents or performance awards, always a good thing, but we did have some casualties. The Remus exhuast on Randy's BMW decided to melt a hole in the hard saddle bag, which required a little modification so he could make it home. Jeff's Victory lost the support bracket for his Thrush muffler requiring more wrenching. And the Stebilus air horn on Jack's bike decided to go on walkabout sometime over the weekend.

I didn't shoot a lot of pics, and had to throw some away because either my flash failed or people were doing weird things with their faces that I'm sure they wouldn't want shared, but here's a few to give you a taste of the weekend.

Mark

Rick

Gregg & Jacob

Stray pup Jacob

Jacob's rig

Beached whale

Wow, what a great ride and time my wife and I had.  It was nice to meet everyone.  We are looking forward to the next ride and hopefully, we will be able to stay the entire time.