• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG Northeast Fall Rally 2013 - Lake George NY

A note for anyone trying to use SpotWalla.  I could not add myself to the trip when using Firefox.  It wouldn't show any devices in the drop-down box for me to select to use.  However, IE (shudder) allowed me to add myself just fine.

I assume you are not broadcasting your position now as you are not showing up on the map. That's fine of course, no need to show any of your personal addresses. By the way, to anyone using Spot Walla, one of the security features allows you to block out a radius of coverage around a specific spot of your choosing- I typically block out an area around my house.

You should show up tomorrow Jon. I will be moving and Spot Walla'ing tomorrow morning also.

Brian

Outback Jon said:
A note for anyone trying to use SpotWalla.  I could not add myself to the trip when using Firefox.  It wouldn't show any devices in the drop-down box for me to select to use.  However, IE (shudder) allowed me to add myself just fine.

BDF said:
I assume you are not broadcasting your position now as you are not showing up on the map. That's fine of course, no need to show any of your personal addresses. By the way, to anyone using Spot Walla, one of the security features allows you to block out a radius of coverage around a specific spot of your choosing- I typically block out an area around my house.

You should show up tomorrow Jon. I will be moving and Spot Walla'ing tomorrow morning also.
Yeah.  Once I got logged in under IE, I was able to see myself.  But an area around my house is now blocked out, and I don't have it turned on at the moment anyway.

COG & COGETTES - sorry to say that I need to back out of the rally.  I wish you all a great time and safe rides. I will miss not being with you.

S Smith said:
COG & COGETTES - sorry to say that I need to back out of the rally.  I wish you all a great time and safe rides. I will miss not being with you.

Sorry to hear that Steve.  Hope everything is ok.

I are here! :great:

Some pics:
DSC_0991_zps623cee51.jpg

DSC_0992_zps71bc681e.jpg

What the he// the pool is closed.
Have a good time folks, wish I was there.
Went with NER two weeks ago and got rained on from Lee Ma to Saratoga Springs on the way up.
Weather looks excellent for the whole week have fun.

Heading out at 0'dark 30 tomorrow(05:00 for you military types :-[) Should be ready to join the Canadian invasion force. Trying to decide whether to ride the Strom or take the Spyder for a stealth attack! :nananana: Might give me a chance to get comfy with the Spyder since the son's usually monopolize it during the summer. The new Cee Bailey's shield should make it a little more comfy since the old shield was one of those bikini jobs. :great:

Thank You Scott and Terry for your efforts in putting this rally together.
I had a great time! Between the parking lot shenanigans, the great weather,the wonderful roads and the dinner at Marios, you guys throw a fine party.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Another fine NE rally. Another long weekend with good riding, good times, and good friends. To sum it up, basically just another good time. Although another rally with no door prize wins. I am at least, very consistent.  And we had three within my family at the rally. My bad luck is rubbing off on them now. Although I swear folks like Alex win every time and some of us never seem to win. OK, we know why Alex wins. Just look at him. OK Terry, what's the pay off to finally win something.  :))

Yep, as always, a good time with all you folks.

Just got in and all is well. Going to work on Spot and Spot Walla now :-( 

My throwing arm is a little sore but otherwise all is good....

Brian

WOW!!!! What a great time!!! Thank you Scott & terry for all your work. We had such a blast!!! Now you guys are stuck with us.  :nananana: can't wait for the national!!!!!!  :)

Well I was just playing with the weekend pictures and realized that I didn't take one photo of the rally. I took a bunch at Fort Ticonderoga. But totally forgot to take any of the event like I normally do. Good thing Pat and Bill were each taking a bunch.  :-[

Well what a great rally yet again. A chance to see friends and meet some new one's. Great banquet dinner Terry and Scott.
Val and I managed 850 miles of stunning roads and colour. We would of made it home sooner but there were line cutters at the border  :-\ Go figure BDF.  :)

Great time! Thanks to the rally meisters. Whoever was responsible for the weather did an outstanding job.  ;)

Thanks to Terry and Scott for another great rally and thanks to everyone else for being nice to my wife and not telling her what really goes on at these rallies.  ;)  She was even lucky enough to win a prize at the dinner which I quickly snatched away from her to give to my buddy Simon up north in Canada who's been looking for that exact same item.  She didn't mind since I did go shopping with her at the outlets.  She had me spend more on a Coach bag than I did all weekend on the rally.  Anyway she had a great time and who knows maybe next time I'll convince her to ride to the rally.

Thanks again everybody,
Alex

I had an absolute total blast with you guys riding in Vermont and Upper New York state. Terry, Scott, thanks for the warm welcome and the great times.

I'm really looking forward to riding with everyone again. With better tires, so I can at least keep up with Mitch.

COGers are the best! ;)

Chris
:beerchug:

P.S. GPS got me to take a wrong turn, I ended up in this beautiful place in Willsboro...

And it's another crazy beautiful day today.

Attachments

• willsboro.jpg
    willsboro.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 96
Sailor Rich said:
Well what a great rally yet again. A chance to see friends and meet some new one's. Great banquet dinner Terry and Scott.
Val and I managed 850 miles of stunning roads and colour. We would of made it home sooner but there were line cutters at the border  :-\ Go figure BDF.  :)

Glad to hear you made it fine, Rich. I took some amazing roads following Lake Champlain, the mist over the mountains and lake was amazing. I did one up on you, three young deer yearlings in the middle of the road, right after a curve. Had plenty of time to slow down and enjoy the view of seeing them hightail it back to the woods. Wish I had a GoPro...

Thanks again for the great ride on Friday with you and the gang. I had an absolute blast.

Redlion61 said:
I did one up on you, three young deer yearlings in the middle of the road, right after a curve. Had plenty of time to slow down and enjoy the view of seeing them hightail it back to the woods. Wish I had a GoPro...

Thanks again for the great ride on Friday with you and the gang. I had an absolute blast.

Ken got that close call on video Friday. I have yet to see it yet. I'm sure glad I was below the speed limit.

Thank you Terry and Scotty, and all those who helped make the rally a success. :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

Although I wasn't able to show up till 9 pm on Friday, I was glad to be greeted by COGdom upon arrival.  You guys are always so much fun.
Good to meet some new people and to rekindle old friendships.

Thank you Wayne S, Outback Jon, Coop, and (sorry forgot your name) for joining me on the ride into Quebec for lunch at the Resto-Bar in Lacolle just over the boarder.  We had our share of laughs and enjoyed the great roads, fog, and food.

Good Times! COG times!! Even without a bike, joining the throng Sat. night was a hoot. Our complements to the organizers!
By the way, you all looked marvelous!!

Attachments

• GroupShot1.jpg
    GroupShot1.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 113
More art from the Rally:

Attachments

• RoundTheWorldC10.jpg
    RoundTheWorldC10.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 114
  • PatMulloy1.jpg
    PatMulloy1.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 112
  • Cigars1.jpg
    Cigars1.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 113
  • COGettes1.jpg
    COGettes1.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 114
Still more art from the Rally:

Attachments

• LongTable1.jpg
    LongTable1.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 106
  • SpoonNoseMulloy.jpg
    SpoonNoseMulloy.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 98
  • PickaNumber1.jpg
    PickaNumber1.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 96
  • BrianPointing1.jpg
    BrianPointing1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 94
:pokestick:  I won't mention any names, but I see that somebody finally decided to join the rest of us on SpotWalla.  :rotflmao:

Yes, as I said at the rally dinner, some of us just were not smart enough to get it to work. My son says that we should all be 10% smarter than our equipment and some of us fell down in that regard.

I asked the gentlemen who set up, owns and maintains Spot Walla what the problem was and he found it instantly; he said that whomever set up my account missed on the security settings (how's that for a tactful and well deserved poke in the eye?  ;D ). Now I too do not want to mention any names but that is the last time I will put Kirby in charge of such an important thing! After fixing his shoddy workmanship, Spot Walla works fine (as it always did, really).

But seriously, I think there was enough interest that we (the COG we, not Kirby and me) should do this again in the future for other rallys. I will even volunteer to do the setup and be much more vigilant about watching what Kirby gets into. By the time of the spring rally there should be at least one, and probably more, apps for Iphones so more people can participate if they want to.

Brian

Outback Jon said:
:pokestick:  I won't mention any names, but I see that somebody finally decided to join the rest of us on SpotWalla.  :rotflmao:

Just finished up the AMA paperwork and got a chance to check out the ole forum.  Thanks to all for coming out and helping to make our latest foray to Lake George a success yet again.  I had a blast hosting and seeing everyone having a good time makes all the work worthwhile.  This is the first COG rally I've attended in quite a while that the weather gods were so generous with (perhaps since Brian and Andrea in Rhode Island?).  I actually got to ride every day and stay dry! 

You folks rock! :great:

Now if only I can get the days for the Brrr Ride........ :)

BDF said:
But seriously, I think there was enough interest that we (the COG we, not Kirby and me) should do this again in the future for other rallys. I will even volunteer to do the setup and be much more vigilant about watching what Kirby gets into. By the time of the spring rally there should be at least one, and probably more, apps for Iphones so more people can participate if they want to.
I absolutely agree.  It appeals to both the tech geek and the motorcyclist in me.  I think it would be really neat to see 30+ tracks at a rally.

Greg Habel said:
Thank you Wayne S, Outback Jon, Coop, and (sorry forgot your name) That would be PATROLLER  :great:  for joining me on the ride into Quebec for lunch at the Resto-Bar in Lacolle just over the boarder.  We had our share of laughs and enjoyed the great roads, fog, and food.

I'm late like always but Sher & I wanted to Thank Terry & Scott for a great fall
rally. We had a great time as usual and look forward to more upcoming COG
events.

Here is a link to the pictures we took, I didn't put all the names on the pictures
since I have a terrible memory so my apologizes in advance. If you let me know
I can update them later.

http://pat-sher.smugmug.com/COG-Fall-Rally-Lake-George#!/

:TPIWWP:

First off, many thanks to Scott and Terry for putting together another fine rally. As usual, LG is the perfect venue and I was happy to finally get back up there and see many of my COG brethren.

Had a really nice trip up (emphasis on “up”) to Lake George, NY for COG’s annual Fall Foliage Rally. I left a little after 6:00 a.m. Weds. morning and got up there about 5:30 that evening. Distance right around 600 miles. Had about 75 members show up over the course of the event. Excellent riding, food, and camaraderie…. especially with some folks I hadn’t seen for a couple of years. Weather was perfect and the leaves were beginning to turn nicely a little further north and in the higher elevations. This was my 6th. or so time up here for various events, and I absolutely love it.

2013%20Fall%20Foliage%20Rally%20009-XL.jpg

Left early Sunday morning for the trip home and all was going well until I was approaching the Scranton, PA area. Bike started feeling a little “funny” and at first thought it might have been the rain grooves cut in the pavement. A little more aggressive back and forth jostle of the bars told me I had a problem and immediately pulled off at the next exit and headed to the closest gas station/convenience store. Once stopped and off the bike, a couple of taps with my calibrated boot told me I had a tire that was going flat. I rolled the bike forward while looking at the tire and eventually found this:

2013%20Fall%20Foliage%20Rally%20043-XL.jpg

2013%20Fall%20Foliage%20Rally%20043a-XL.jpg

2013%20Fall%20Foliage%20Rally%20045-XL.jpg

2013%20Fall%20Foliage%20Rally%20045-XL.jpg

This whole episode began around 11:30 Sunday morning, and it was very evident ain’t no tire plug gonna fix this issue.

Most of you will probably jump to the conclusion and assume that I ran over something and cut the tire. Wish that was the case, however, I personally think is was a tire failure caused by a manufacturing problem. I say that, because I had the exact same problem, in exactly the same spot in a previous tire of the same brand and model (Avon AV45 Azaro). Fortunately, I found that problem when the bike was on my lift and I was checking it over prior to taking another trip. Same type of split in the root of the groove, but that one appeared to have some black “crystals” embedded in the separation. At first I thought it was pieces of glass, but am now convinced it was pieces of tire material that had hardened prematurely during the vulcanizing process and created a weak spot. That tire had right at 10,000 miles on it (with plenty of useable tread left) when I found the problem, this one has 3387 on it. Both of those tires had the same date code. A search on the web had me finding several instances where this same type tire had failed for a number of others….. some of them pretty ugly so I feel fortunate that mine just turned out to be a relatively slow leak that allowed me to get to a safe location. Do a search for “Azaro tire failure” and you’ll see what I mean. Needless to say, I will be calling Avon about this.

Getting the bike home was interesting. AMA Motow service was useless as they couldn’t find a dealer that was open in the area to carry the bike to. The lady in India kept asking me where I wanted to carry the bike to. How in Hades do I know not being familiar with the place, plus most of them would also, most likely, be closed on Monday. I damned sure wasn’t going to have the bike taken to a spot that was probably not secure, then I would have had to find transportation to a motel for a couple of days. A search for box vans (U-Haul, Avis, Penske, anyone.) in the area turned up nothing. I called a couple of the COG folks relatively local to the area, but they were unavailable. I eventually called another, a good friend of mine who lives here, and he was kind enough to drag his trailer all the way up there and rescue my sorry arse. Can’t remember what time he eventually got there, but the wait was nerve racking. Once he did arrive, we got the bike loaded and headed south. Got home a little after 3:00 a.m. Monday morning.

I have a new tire (same brand/model) waiting in the wings with a much later date code, but am really hesitant about installing it. Damned sure I don’t want to be caught in the same situation again when I’m out on a long trip. Unfortunately, tire sizes for this bike are getting rare and hard to find so your choices are limited. Bike is on the lift now and I’ll make a command decision shortly. Anyway, that’s my story and am sticking to it.

Here's the after the fact statement. Why didn't you call me Guy. I might have been able to have done something. Of course maybe I couldn't either. But even if it was bringing you back here. But a warm bed and a cold beer beats waiting for many, many hours in Scranton. Of course to be fair, There's no guarantee that I could get my hands on a trailer now that I sold mine this spring. But hey, I would have at least tried.  :nananana:

Man!  Talk about some bad tire mojo this year!  I had to replace a brand new PR-3 this summer, which had replaced the previous one which was the wrong size.  (LONG story!)  So I sent the one I replaced to Steve Cerrutti who could use it since it had only about 5k on it, and his brand new PR-3 picks up what looked like a large size allen wrench!!!! :-\

Like I said some serious bad tire mojo! :-[

Cap'n Bob said:
Here's the after the fact statement. Why didn't you call me Guy. I might have been able to have done something. Of course maybe I couldn't either. But even if it was bringing you back here. But a warm bed and a cold beer beats waiting for many, many hours in Scranton. Of course to be fair, There's no guarantee that I could get my hands on a trailer now that I sold mine this spring. But hey, I would have at least tried.  :nananana:

Actually thought about it Bob, but didn't have my Digest to find your number. Appreciate it tho'. Things worked out in the end.

Roger M. said:
Well attending this rally made our minds up, made reservations for 2014 silver dammit rally!!!! Set you all in Tennessee!!!  >:D

YES!!!!!! :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Careful here, I have heard there might be the occasional 'incoming object' at the banquet dinner. Not sure if this is a real threat or not but everyone should be aware....

Brian

Roger M. said:
Well attending this rally made our minds up, made reservations for 2014 silver dammit rally!!!! Set you all in Tennessee!!!  >:D

BDF said:
Careful here, I have heard there might be the occasional 'incoming object' at the banquet dinner. Not sure if this is a real threat or not but everyone should be aware....

Brian

Roger M. said:

All part of why we decided we needed to attend the rally!! The excitement of living on the edge!! Besides, I've got 8 months to help susan work on her aim.  :))

Scranton hmmm that's where I lost my rear tire coming back from the fall rally at natural bridge.
Jim Murray's Kawasaki looked after me that time. There is a ton of road debris on that 81 through there.

Susan hit a piece of cake less than 2" square, dead- center, with a slimy packet of butter at somewhere near 50 paces- I think her aim is just fine. What she may need to work on is target acquisition- mainly the idea that Cap'n Bob is the target. I will continue to work on my innocent look which proved very handy when I missed Gigantor and hit the table with the elderly couple sitting just behind him. Hmmmm- maybe we need a bigger Gigantor? Poor Mrs. Gigantor (Sonya), her first rally and she happened to be sitting next to the guy getting about 25% of the 'incoming'.

I offered to help make the door prize raffle a LOT more efficient by volunteering to just throw the prizes at the winners. Terry didn't take me up on that but I could tell he was thinking it might not be a bad idea. Maybe if everyone was wearing safety glasses....

Brian

Roger M. said:
All part of why we decided we needed to attend the rally!! The excitement of living on the edge!! Besides, I've got 8 months to help susan work on her aim.  :))

Wayne,

Thanks for the pics, sorry we missed the trip to Canada as it looked like a nice day.

Pat from Sher's login