• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Coil on plug

Motorcyclerider

So there’s no info on doing coil on plug for the Zg1000. I searched but it must have been lost during the crash. A member used to offer them it doesn’t anymore so I don’t think I’ll be hurting his hustle. I had been wondering why my bike was running a little strange almost like 3 cylinders but it wasn’t. I pulled the plugs and had a look one plug looked a little different color then the other. I put new plugs. Pulled the boot for the funny looking plug and tested the resistance 20k ohms. I tested a spare I had 5k ohms. So I installed the new plugs( I didn’t have D8ea laying around but I had a set of DPR8ea-9 laying around from a bike that was totaled before I had a chance to install)and spark plug cap and the bike ran a lot better I checked prices for new plug boots and coils and it’s cheaper to get a set of coils and harness from a zx9/zx14 or several other models that are compatible. It can be wires in series or in parallel if you add a 1 ohm 20 watt resistor to the positive lead for each of the coils before you go add the extra wire from each of the red wire wire that run to each of the original coils. 4 red wires total branched off the red wires to each of the original coils. The advantage of running parallel is if one coil goes bad you won’t lose both cylinders. So I bought a set of zx9 coils with wiring harness for $60 off eBay, 2 1 ohm 20 watt resistors and two 4 pin male and female connectors. So I’m in under $100 for a coil on plug setup plus some time. These parts for the zg are getting old and I guess the zx9 coils aren’t exactly new but I think it’s a better option then buying new zg coils, wires, and plug caps. The left wire on the new coil runs to the red wire coming from the igniter on all new 4 coils then the black wire from the left coil would run to the right wire on the coils on cylinder 1-4 and the green wire would run to the right wire on the coils on cylinder 1-3. Obviously your going to have to add wires so you have two green and two black to run to each of the 4 new coils. You would run the resistor in-line of each of the red wire to the original coils and after that you will make the one red wire for each original coil 2 wires to run to the new harness so you have 4 red wires total. The original coils have a higher resistance and this will create the added resistance that will be lost by adding the new coil on plugs which have a lower resistance I googled how to do it hope I got it right. Running in series should be easy running in parallel may be a bit more difficult. If anyone has done this and needs to correct anything feel free to add any info to the post. This should be a sticky I would think. Your also going to want to take the cover from your original plug boots to add to the coils to keep water out. I attached a picture of compatible coils you can use to do the modification D127A99C-755A-49D4-A190-36DAB40D162D.png

Last edited:
It's rare to hear about coil failures. New wires and caps will probably fix you up. Many just trim the ends of the wires and reinstall. Guy Young just posted about coil on plugs within the last few weeks.

I saw this thread before opening it and thought, T-Cro! Haven't seen him in awhile. Anyhow, thanks for the info Motorider, been thinking of doing this for a long time too.

I agree. Thanks MotorcycleRider. I've considered doing this myself.
Good information.
Being an Electrical Idiot, (err; I meant Electrical Unfortunate) it would help if you could post a simple schematic and mebbe some photo's.

Ride safe, Ted

I agree. Thanks MotorcycleRider. I've considered doing this myself.
Good information.
Being an Electrical Idiot, (err; I meant Electrical Unfortunate) it would help if you could post a simple schematic and mebbe some photo's.

Ride safe, Ted
I’ll have all the parts later this week. Going in for the retime, ninja cams, cop mod, and some rejetting of the carbs. Maybe I’ll make a diagram. I don’t think it will make a huge difference but with the price of new plug boots and coils I’ll be nearly the same as doing this. I used dpr8ea9 plugs by the way. Same heat range. Stick slightly further into the cylinder. Not sure if that helps or not but maybe🤷‍♂️. I had them from my cbr1000f that got wrecked.

I’ll have all the parts later this week. Going in for the retime, ninja cams, cop mod, and some rejetting of the carbs. Maybe I’ll make a diagram. I don’t think it will make a huge difference but with the price of new plug boots and coils I’ll be nearly the same as doing this. I used dpr8ea9 plugs by the way. Same heat range. Stick slightly further into the cylinder. Not sure if that helps or not but maybe🤷‍♂️. I had them from my cbr1000f that got wrecked.
120A7B60-7795-4B0B-A406-AF87CA6219C5.jpegThis is in parallel (edit). Again I’m not 100% sure I’m correct but I’m pretty sure it’s right. I ordered two 4 pin connectors off eBay.

Last edited:
I follow what you did, but think it's in Parallel, not series.
As far as is it right? I have no idea.
Hopefully the electrical Guru's can look it over and comment.

Ride safe, Ted

I follow what you did, but think it's in Parallel, not series.
As far as is it right? I have no idea.
Hopefully the electrical Guru's can look it over and comment.

Ride safe, Ted
A897D8AA-572D-4C7C-BBCB-6DE582020064.pngSorry you were right Ted I was confused. Nothing out of the ordinary. This is in series. I drew it in parallel. In series of one coil fails your losing two. Idk yet maybe I’ll just do series. You still would only have to carry one extra coils around in case of failure. Just might have to pull two coils to find out which one is the issue. Also I’m not sure that a 1 ohm resistor will bring it up enough to make the igniter happy. Normal single cops are 1.3-1.8 ohms and the normal connie distributor is 2.6. So if you use a single 1 ohm resistor for two coils your only adding 0.5 ohm to each coil so your looking at 1.8-2.3 ohms. Might need two 2 ohm resistors or four 1 ohm. I have an extra couple igniters if things go badly though and I can just switch to series.

Last edited:
In another discussion; Guy (electrical Guru) sed;
You could connect two stick coils in parallel, say 1 & 4, and connect them to one of the igniter's output so those two cylinder's plugs would fire at the same time (ditto that for 2 & 3), but that would seriously overload the igniter and it would probably take a dump right off the bat.
Hooking two of the stick coils in series takes care of both of those issues.

So, your (Series) schematic seems to be the best option.
Question; On this schematic, where/would you place resistors and (if so) how much resistance?

It should be EZ to reverse engineer the wiring that comes with the ZX-9 coils, and find out how their wired.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
View attachment 36281Sorry you were right Ted I was confused. Nothing out of the ordinary. This is in series. I drew it in parallel. In series of one coil fails your losing two. Idk yet maybe I’ll just do series. You still would only have to carry one extra coils around in case of failure. Just might have to pull two coils to find out which one is the issue. Also I’m not sure that a 1 ohm resistor will bring it up enough to make the igniter happy. Normal single cops are 1.3-1.8 ohms and the normal connie distributor is 2.6. So if you use a single 1 ohm resistor for two coils your only adding 0.5 ohm to each coil so your looking at 1.8-2.3 ohms. Might need two 2 ohm resistors or four 1 ohm. I have an extra couple igniters if things go badly though and I can just switch to series.
THIS is the way you want to wire the stick coils. Your previous schematic did have them in parallel, and the 10 ohm resistor may have protected the igniter, but why take chances; the above scheme works. Why throw in unwieldly added parts when they're really not necessary.

Last edited:
Ok so I wired it in roughly and it fired right up ran in series. Going to take her for a spin and see how she runs. I also ordered another set I’m going to make and possibly post for sale. It will be plug and play. Just remove your coils and plug those connectors right into the coil harness.

Last edited: