• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cold weather fairings

Motorcyclerider

Anyone build a set of cold weather fairings that direct the heat toward your legs instead out the side of the fairings I’ve got an extra set of older fairings that allow you to remove the section that directs the air away. Thinking of just making a block off plate. Removing or modifying the section bolted to the rad and getting an extra set of the black plastics that sit inside the fairings so I can cut away a portion to allow the warm air to hit my legs. I’m still riding in Ny and It’s totally doable. I carry an extra set of insulated wind breaker pants, snowmobile boots, and handlebar mitts just in case it gets a little chilly but mostly I’ve been good.

When i.had my 98, i.would turn the scoops upside dow so.that they act as blockers. Some guys would do that and then stick foam in the open cut out...helped.me ride thru.chicago winters when the roads were clear..

When i.had my 98, i.would turn the scoops upside dow so.that they act as blockers. Some guys would do that and then stick foam in the open cut out...helped.me ride thru.chicago winters when the roads were clear..
I already have the gtr fairing extensions so no more scoops.

Just take out all the heat shields for cold weather. Yes you can reverse the scoops. As Patrick said, some foam in the right spots helps. If that's not enough, consider heated jacket and pants liners. That WILL keep you warm and toasty.

Attachments

• 20200526_055823_HDR.jpg
    20200526_055823_HDR.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 57
Just take out all the heat shields for cold weather. Yes you can reverse the scoops. As Patrick said, some foam in the right spots helps. If that's not enough, consider heated jacket and pants liners. That WILL keep you warm and toasty.
I’m not exactly following you. There is a blocker for the exhaust heat behind the fairing. There is also an air duct that directs the air from the radiator out the side of the fairing. Those stock scoops are gone. No longer on my bike. I’ve got he GTR fairing extension. My idea was to change the air dam that directs the air from the radiator out the side of the fairing and close off the fairing and redirect the radiator air.

I've only pulled heat shields. All except on top of the radiator. Never thought of closing the sides in. Give it a shot and tell us what happens. We love experiments!🙂

Most folks are trying to find ways to keep the heat off them on our bikes so this is new territory . I've never heard of any trouble keeping warm on a C10 . .

I've only pulled heat shields. All except on top of the radiator. Never thought of closing the sides in. Give it a shot and tell us what happens. We love experiments!🙂
Honestly I don’t get that cold unless it 30 F or colder. I just wear jeans and thermals and my legs are pretty good. I keep a set of handlebar mitts with me and some insulated windbreaker pants with zippers at the bottom that fit over whatever I’m wearing if I get too cold. . I’m trying to score a second bike so I can cut some stuff up. Right now my biggest project is 36mm carbs and zx1000 cams but not getting much help in that department.

Honestly I don’t get that cold unless it 30 F or colder. I just wear jeans and thermals and my legs are pretty good. I keep a set of handlebar mitts with me and some insulated windbreaker pants with zippers at the bottom that fit over whatever I’m wearing if I get too cold. . I’m trying to score a second bike so I can cut some stuff up. Right now my biggest project is 36mm carbs and zx1000 cams but not getting much help in that department.
My guess is you're not getting a bunch of responses to the project is that it's been tried long ago and the result was that it didn't deliver the desired results. Same thing with some that want to remove the stock air box and install pod filters. Not saying it can't be done, but the majority of C10 owners stick with stock. Sometimes folks don't enjoy hearing stuff like that and conversations can go sideways. If I were to advise you, I'd tell you to look at what is popular and go that direction. If what is popular were disappointing, it wouldn't be popular. For example, Steve's torque cam is great if you can find one. I think you can still get an exhaust cam sprocket to change cam timing. Do what makes you happy, but I'd go with the tried and true options. You might see if Jim Snyder or Steve in FL is up for some brain picking. They know all of this stuff and was around when folks were hopping up their C10's. Hope that helps.