• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Colorado COG'ers attending the 2014 SW Spring Rally

denver6

I have seen some new names here and on the COG Facebook page who are planning to attend the SW Spring rally.  We can use this thread to share travel and route plans from Colorado to Prescott. 

So far, the Bruce's are all in (you know who you are) under the leadership of Bill Bruce.  Anyone else from Colorado (ok, we can include Wyoming) want to share your route ideas here? 

I think another pre-rally tech day is in order.  More to come on that.

Only 16 weeks till the rally starts - no time to waste!  :beerchug: :beerchug:

Rob Bruce

Here what I'm looking at SW. Now I've done the 2 turns in KS on the 70 so trying something new. Need suggestions on lodging and eats in FT. Smith. Anybody wants to jump in on the route would love to have ya.
http://goo.gl/maps/ve6vw

Old Man on a Connie said:
Here what I'm looking at SW. Now I've done the 2 turns in KS on the 70 so trying something new. Need suggestions on lodging and eats in FT. Smith. Anybody wants to jump in on the route would love to have ya.
http://goo.gl/maps/ve6vw
Sorry. Wrong thread. Why are there no snarky Bruce comments here? I'm feeling ignored.  :)

Looking at my friend google (map) - there ain't a whole lot of pretty for about most of day two.
So, here's what I'm thinking (this minute - very subject to change):
1. Meet at my house (pretty close to Franktown now);
2. South on 83 all the way to the springs;
3. South on I25 (I know, I know - ewww - interstate) to Walsenburg;
4. Gas up and potty break in Walsenburg (if Bruce can hold it that long);
5. Take 160 west nearly to Durango, cutting south on 550 into Farmington.
That's day-1. Just a touch over 400 miles - but they ought to be quick miles.

Day-2, even less pretty...
1. Zig-zag our way down to I-40 in Gallup;
2. Hot-foot it over to Flagstaff where we head south taking the 89A scenic route through Sedona;
3. Back on I-17 south to the 169/69 cut-over to Prescott.

Should be near-about 385 miles day-2, but again - mostly quick ones.

This keeps us from repeating last year's day-1 - not that there was anything wrong with that....

This is about the most direct route - with more slab and fewer sweepers, but we'll get to cold beer faster!  And - OMC said he'd buy!  (Or something like that...)

notsluggo said:
Looking at my friend google (map) - there ain't a whole lot of pretty for about most of day two.
So, here's what I'm thinking (this minute - very subject to change):
1. Meet at my house (pretty close to Franktown now);
2. South on 83 all the way to the springs;
3. South on I25 (I know, I know - ewww - interstate) to Walsenburg;
4. Gas up and potty break in Walsenburg (if Bruce can hold it that long);
5. Take 160 west nearly to Durango, cutting south on 550 into Farmington.
That's day-1. Just a touch over 400 miles - but they ought to be quick miles.

Day-2, even less pretty...
1. Zig-zag our way down to I-40 in Gallup;
2. Hot-foot it over to Flagstaff where we head south taking the 89A scenic route through Sedona;
3. Back on I-17 south to the 169/69 cut-over to Prescott.

Should be near-about 385 miles day-2, but again - mostly quick ones.

This keeps us from repeating last year's day-1 - not that there was anything wrong with that....

This is about the most direct route - with more slab and fewer sweepers, but we'll get to cold beer faster!  And - OMC said he'd buy!  (Or something like that...) :-\

I was planning on working a little bit in Colorado Springs on Wed and then riding down to Durango...early breakfast Thurs at Oscar 's and ride to Prescott...be there Thurs afternoon... :motonoises:

Bruce,

I like the route.  Thursday works for me. At least I think "Toisday" is Thursday. My vacation starts on Wednesday.

CRocker said:
notsluggo said:
Cool beans, Rob-Bruce.
After Bruce & Bruce decide, I can check out Farmington hotel options.

I'd stay in Durango and have breakfast at Oscar's... :beerchug:
Gotta throw my 2.5 cents behind Oscars.  :great: There's a rumor floating around the SW that the last up from the table covers the bill. Make sure your sitting on the outside edge.

The Bruces dined there en route to Cedar City (day-2 from Durango to Torrey - some of the best riding Utah has to offer).  Not a bad breakfast - but nothing (IMHO) to really wow me either.

Can't make it from Cheyenne. I am going on the NW Kamiah trip and then I have to go to Atlanta for a Karate training event following weekend.

Bill-Bruce

Do you have a meetup time in mind for Thursday?  Did we decide to meet at your place?  I would like to program the route in my GPS (I swear - I won't question your directions this time - no matter how poorly I program and/or read my GPS)  :)

Damn - that's just a week away.....
I better get started with my planning!

I'd love to leave from my place - just one mile off of 83 South.  Recalling how much grief was expressed last year related to the early meeting / departure time, plan for a 0800 departure this year.  If everyone meets here - final bathroom visits and air pressure adjustments / oil top-offs can be made.

I'm still thinking 83 south to I25 (at Interquest), then I25 south to 115 to Penrose (50 West). Catch 50 West to Canon City (late breakfast?), and then on to 285 South. Stay on 285 South to Center and then catch 160 through Pagosa Springs (lunch?) into Durango.  Per Google, this ought to be just a shade over 350 miles (6.5 hours).  We don't need to rush...

It's a different route than last year (trying to keep things fresh) - and I have nothing planned for the rest of the days.

Looks good to me, Bill-Bruce. From Durango, how about 491 S to Gallup, then 264 W to Burnside, 72 to 87 (through Winslow), then 260 W to Prescott? About 450 mi, 9hr plus stops. Would stay south of fire(s) between Flagstaff and Sedona.

Bob-Bruce

450 miles?
Some of those roads appear to be supportive of wrist flexation exercises.
Nine hours.....hmmm....

It's not too late to take your original advice and do more miles the first day...

Have I mentioned I am wishy-washy?  :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce: :truce:

I'm cool with starting at Bruce's house at 8:00 and going any direction you care to go but I'm not so sure about having breakfast at Oscar's, there we're a lot of Harley people in there last year. Could get uncomfortable if you know what I mean! LOL  :))  And that train doesn't seem to run on time.

Brad-Bruce

New plan - meet at the gas station in Franktown on the Northwest corner of 86 and 83.  Kickstands up by 8 AM.  Same route:
  • 83 to I-25
  • I-25 to CO 115
  • CO 115 to US 50
[li/US 50 to US 285[/]
  • US 285 to US 160
  • US 160 to Durango

Any last minute joiners?  Post up here - leaving Thursday 5/29. 

It was a little chilly on Wolf Creek Pass today...there's a fair amount of snow up there...and, on the western side. watch out for the fluids from the semi that rolled over on the switchback above Treasure Falls...

See you in Prescott!