• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Coming South what to do ?

LSGiant

My lovely wife and myself will be arriving in Texas on Jan 4 2018.  We plan on being in Texas the next 3 months.  I just looked at the South Central Calendar and it is blank for Jan, Feb, and March.

Come on guys and gals, I expect to have some COG initiated place to go at least once a month. Someone said there is BBQ down there some place and I thought there is an ocean somewhere close by.

Send me some suggestions and I will put them on the calendar. Neither one of us is afraid to ride a bit to see some like minded folks.

Damn Jeff, did you retire? I can't help you out with Texas, but if I'm in or near your route plans you're more than welcome for a stop over here. Traveling in the motorhome with trailer & bikes?

I'm sure that ole scrounge Ted will chime in here & give you some info.

Cliff  :beerchug: 

I guess you can call it retire. Going to spend some of the money we put away and not do the 9 to 5 thing

KTM and Joane's 650 in the back of the Colorado being towed by the motor home.  We should look like the Clampetts.

Looks like Homer LA is half way from where we are spending our first month.

What day do we meet for lunch ?

LSGiant said:
I guess you can call it retire. Going to spend some of the money we put away and not do the 9 to 5 thing

KTM and Joane's 650 in the back of the Colorado being towed by the motor home.  We should look like the Clampetts.

Looks like Homer LA is half way from where we are spending our first month.

LSG,  you need to take Cliff up on his offer. The Arkansas roads in his area are the best.

LSGiant said:

Enjoy it & congratulations!

I guess lunch would be dependent on how your travels go. Just touch base with me the times close.

Cliff  :beerchug:

SteveJ. said:
I guess you can call it retire.

Awesome, doing Big Bend?

Get with Fred Boothe, there is a non-COG event in Big Bend in Jan 18 that would float your boat.

I am still stacking cash in my engineering position so Pamela and I will not be at this one.

Craig

Jeff/Joanne, I will keep a eye on this post to see what you two are up to. I plan on hauling the C10 down to south central Louisiana,  in mid-February(just north of Natchez, MS). We have a 10 day trip planned along the gulf, then on to the Keys, if that would interest you.  OR maybe Sue and I can meander over into Texas a little later, in early March? We have been going down into central Louisiana for a few years now, stay at a fishing lodge, with some damn'd nice hosts. We will be in that area until mid- March. Retirement comes in many forms, hope you enjoy it.

LSGiant said:
My lovely wife and myself will be arriving in Texas on Jan 4 2018.  We plan on being in Texas the next 3 months.  I just looked at the South Central Calendar and it is blank for Jan, Feb, and March.

Come on guys and gals, I expect to have some COG initiated place to go at least once a month. Someone said there is BBQ down there some place and I thought there is an ocean somewhere close by.

Send me some suggestions and I will put them on the calendar. Neither one of us is afraid to ride a bit to see some like minded folks.
The BBFO RIde to Alpine is In January... not a COG franchise, but largely COGgers and good folks.  Then we meet for breakfast sometimes on Sunday mornings.  Well, those that can, do anyway.  Places are usually kind of spontaneously announced by Fred Boothe and the rest of us just show up.  But stuff DOES happen sometimes.  :beerchug:

What Jim said, and what I said already in the first post about Big Bend FO that Fred Boothe organizes.

gr33nmAn

Big Bend is a beautiful area, but for the best riding in Texas, go to Arkansas. They have some of the best riding in the country. The only problem with riding there is that your face can start to hurt after smiling for six to eight hours solid. And you can get a little hoarse from all of the hootin' and hollerin' you'll be doing for hours on end. It's so much more fun than a roller coaster!

Bigfoot_16 said:
Big Bend is a beautiful area, but for the best riding in Texas, go to Arkansas. They have some of the best riding in the country. The only problem with riding there is that your face can start to hurt after smiling for six to eight hours solid. And you can get a little hoarse from all of the hootin' and hollerin' you'll be doing four hours on end. It's so much more fun than a roller coaster!

Can't argue that but Arkansas can be quite chilly in the Jan/Mar time frame to be playing on a motorcycle. And iff'n I was bailing from the Minnesnowta Tundra, Arkansas ain't a gonna cut it. (Qualification, I lived in MN/Wisc for my first years)

Mountain Home Jan normal high  46, low 26, Feb  is 51/29.  Nope, not for me.

I have been in touch with Jeff and provided him the information he was seeking.

Bigfoot_16 said:
Big Bend is a beautiful area, but for the best riding in Texas, go to Arkansas. They have some of the best riding in the country. The only problem with riding there is that your face can start to hurt after smiling for six to eight hours solid. And you can get a little hoarse from all of the hootin' and hollerin' you'll be doing four hours on end. It's so much more fun than a roller coaster!

It all comes down to personal preference. 

I would rather ride the Hill Country and especially Big Bend all day long rather than Arkansas.  Arkansas is OK, and I have ridden a ton of miles there, but if I have to make a choice, Big Bend is it.

Big Bend - Austere beauty and fantastic roads although it takes some straight line riding to get to all of them. Desert Mountains and some of the best riding in SC
Arkansas - Verdant hills and twisty roads by the dozens. Mount Judea and AR341 among the best with some of the best riding in SC.

Both have their great riding and I would not say which is better, they both have their attractions to motorcyclists.

Ride both and enjoy!

So where are the pictures of this setup?  :TPIWWP:

Let us be the judges of if you look like the Clampetts or not.  ;D

LSGiant said:
I will post pics when we are loaded and ready to go.  Expected departure January 2 or 3.

Enjoy your retirement Jeff.  Get it right the first time because there is no do over. I don't mean to put pressure on you.