• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Communication Headsets

Sport rider

Iron Butt
My old Scala Q2 headset system has been acting up and giving me trouble lately when using it with my phone.  it's about 10 years old now, so it's time to invest in something new.

My needs are for headset to headset communication plus bluetooth use for my phone.  perhaps sharing listening to tunes while on a ride with Denise.  I switch helmets between 3/4 and full face, so will get a mount for each helmet I use.

I don't ride in groups much, so except for the possibility of communicating with other COG members during rallies, I'm not overly worried about some of the advanced group headsets like the newer Scala.

900 M range. THat is the only thing I would have to worry about. Laurie goes through a light ahead of me or lets a car get between us if she is behind and I would lose her for sure. I always have to look for the furthest distance I can find.

Sport Rider said:
NYbiomed said:
This is about the best deal going:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/sena-smh10r-dual-twin-bluetooth-headset-smh10-/331823321632?hash=item4d42361220:g:bCsAAOSwdU1W9mMk

I love mine, very svelte, does what I need it to.

:great:

Great price!  are there things you don't like about your set?  any shortcomings?

Well, the super-small footprint/profile yields only 3 buttons- which are fine with gloves by the way, the problem is you have to remember sequences of buttons to press/hold. Now, I don't have a ton of miles racked up yet, only having the bike a year and it was fck'd up for 6 months of that, then add winter here in the NE....I figure more ride time and use will get me to remember how to make it do what I want, and I've yet to figure out how BOTH rider and passenger can listen to music at the same time and still communicate. I have not yet had the opportunity to test bike to bike COM. The price is really good, I love the minimal profile, the clarity of the COM is very good, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Oh, and battery life is pretty good and easily replaceable if needed.

Cardo Scala G9 or Sena 20S are the two top of the line products out there right now.  Either one would be a great choice.  I'm leaning towards the Sena for myself & SWMBO.

Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:
Cardo Scala G9 or Sena 20S are the two top of the line products out there right now.  Either one would be a great choice.  I'm leaning towards the Sena for myself & SWMBO.

Bruce, that's an excellent suggestion, however, when I looked it up on ebay ($350 for a pair), it had a chart of motorcycle models that it's compatable with.  It's not compatable with my 2005 C10.  Can you believe that?!  :-\  :-[ :-[ :-[  :D :rotflmao: :))

Sena 10c...  You get the comms and the video in one.  It's getting great reviews for picture quality, sound, and user interaction.

i have scala G9X  pair of them  500 bones.  they do work great

me and my son use them on trips. 

bluetooth phone and a mp3 

calls are clear and music is nice. 

we dont have to yell at each other neither. 

voice activated too ! :great:

Sport Rider said:
My old Scala Q2 headset system has been acting up and giving me trouble lately when using it with my phone.  it's about 10 years old now, so it's time to invest in something new.

My needs are for headset to headset communication plus bluetooth use for my phone.  perhaps sharing listening to tunes while on a ride with Denise.  I switch helmets between 3/4 and full face, so will get a mount for each helmet I use.

I don't ride in groups much, so except for the possibility of communicating with other COG members during rallies, I'm not overly worried about some of the advanced group headsets like the newer Scala.

I know we had a few issues when we rode together with my S20's.
It was hit or miss on the intercoms but the music and phone always worked.
The Sena's have a 2 year warranty so I used that and after trying what tech support asked me to - and not getting better
they replaced my unit (that's all I sent them) with a brand new boxed unit with all the mounts etc.
If it truly was just the main unit that was bad then I will have another setup for another helmet.  :great:
It was late November when this happened so I have not had a chance to try out the new unit yet.

When I bought mine last April I paid $412 for a duel set.  At that time it was the best price I could find.
Now I see they are closer to the $350 mark so that is even a better deal.

The S20 has the greatest range for intercom.  Not important with only a passenger - but is very helpful - as you know - when out of
sight from the other riders your with, as you pull away.....

The S20 will pair up to 8 riders - I don't think the smh10 can pair that many.  Again not a big issue - but the day you want to pair more than 4 .....

The S20 has FM radio - not sure if all the other units do.
So you could both listen to radio (even different stations) or music from one phone shared or music from each of your phones,
and still be able to talk via intercom.

Do what you want - but I still like my S20's and don't think there is much better out there at this time.
Certainly not the cheapest unit but Range, FM, BT 4.0 and remote handle bar control unit are reasons I like mine so well.

Besides if you get the S20's then I know we can sync up at the National.  :great:

Sport Rider said:
Bruce_Reafsnider_TN said:

Bruce, that's an excellent suggestion, however, when I looked it up on ebay ($350 for a pair), it had a chart of motorcycle models that it's compatable with.  It's not compatable with my 2005 C10.  Can you believe that?!  :-\  :-[ :-[ :-[  :D :rotflmao: :))
That's because the C10 is old school.  A sharp blow to the back, much yelling and finger pointing are all that's needed for her to tell you to slow down.  :motonoises:

I have a Scala G4 and want to find a headset with mic (like a cell phone Blutooth) that will sync up with it for the driver of a chase car / support truck on rides.  It would have to have reception distance similar to another Scala.  Anybody done this or have suggestions?

www.ruggedradios.com

I have used these before.  There are some good choices here, though at does eliminate the Sena type setups and all the benefits of the Sena or scala.

Another thing you can do is wear a small gmrs or FRS radio clipped to your jacket lapel or something similar, rather than removing your helmet set-up.  The road guards on Run for The Wall seem to do this with success. 

SportRider,

If you're used to and like the Q2's (which were great comms,) you might take a look at the Q3's that Cardo has replaced the Q2 with.

They have music sharing, and will bluetooth to a phone.

Sounds like what you want. They don't have all the features of a G9X, or their newest line, but they also aren't as complicated or expensive.

I've never used a Sena, but those who do, like them, from all I've read.
I'm a G9X powerset user, myself.
The G9X will let you plug in earbuds, or use their improved stereo helmet speakers.
They also have different mics, and different foam covers, which work well with different types of helmets.
I believe the Q3 set will, too.
Bob

SMH10.
Get with one type if mount and install another in the other helmet.
They are a snap to remove from the mount and install, securrly, on the other one.
Range between units us right at 1/2 mile, battery lasts full day of use, and they work great.
Wife and I have had our for a couple of years and we love them.
Jorge

My wife and I use the SMH10r. We have them fitted to Shoei Quest helmets. These worked perfectly last year for rider/pillion coms and phone/music with Blackberry Z30. This year the firmware on the 10r was upgraded and we both noticed clearer communication on the coms.  I also changed phones to Samsung S7 with Poweramp player and the music quality in the helmet is also now much better than before. The Rider 400 also works perfectly with this setup.

Gene

Agree on the Sena, I've had the SMH10 for a couple years now and can't imagine riding very far without it.
The two guys I ride with most often have one now and we can pair up and talk when needed, listen to tunes otherwise.
I've paired with other riders up to four different with no trouble.

Someone mentioned the newer Sena can pair up to eight different folks? I thought keeping four straight was a challenge!

I have had the Sena 20S for about a year now.  On paper it looks good.  From a practical standpoint, not so good.  Speaker volume is horrible, only water resistant and customer/tech support is poor.

oldsmoboat said:
I have had the Sena 20S for about a year now.  On paper it looks good.  From a practical standpoint, not so good.  Speaker volume is horrible, only water resistant and customer/tech support is poor.
Hmmm, same product different experience.  I never had to contact support so can't comment on that.  As far as the speakers in the helmet goes, it makes a big difference in sound quality if they are positioned directly over the ear.  Anything less than that, I could see can being an issue, and it took me a few adjustments to get it right.  I find I can listen to the speakers with earplugs and it's ok. 

For longer trips I use the molded ear buds that cut off the speakers when the jack is inserted.  If you are looking for premium sound, isolation, and volume, that will always be the better method.  Rode in frog soaker rain several times with no issues.  Never once ran out of battery, even with 16 hour rides.  That impressed me.

oldsmoboat said:

I had the water problem affect my Scala Q2.  that's why I'm looking for a new set.  I did the ride down to the lunch in Alabama in soaking rain and now my unit is dead.

Wow, that's weird, SR...
I've ridden through several "toad strangler" downpours the past few years with my G9's and never had that happen. They advertise that they're waterproof, and so far after 3 years, mine have been.

I thought the Q2's were supposed to be waterproof, too...?
Bob

I'm not overly concerned about them giving up on me.  After this long I really think I got my money's worth.  Now it's on to the next set

We went from Sena smh 10's to the 20s. Messed with the 20s set for a while until we got them working the way we wanted- the phone app helps with that. Now we really have no issues. Blaise has his set up to receive voice from the Zumo.

The antennae has to be raised on both units for optimal range. I don't sweat the range much. If Blaise gets too far ahead of me they will re-sync when I get back into range.

I just picked up a used dual set of SMH10 headsets for $175.00 . I have been testing the pairing and such. I can hardly wait to really try them out!

Fourwayz said:
I just picked up a used dual set of SMH10 headsets for $175.00 . I have been testing the pairing and such. I can hardly wait to really try them out!

When we first received our pair of SMH10s back in 2009, there my wife and I were...  wearing our helmets in the house while we did the "yes; I can hear you, can you hear me?" thang.  I sent her upstairs.  Yep, still good.  Let's go outside; you go to the backyard, I'll stay out front.  I'm sure it gave the neighbors a good chuckle.  ;D

Fast forward 7 years, and I still use the SMH10 every time I ride.  No problems, no issues.  Still, I find myself looking with desire at the 20, because of the upgraded electronics and the super cool ambient sound mic.  I suppose it's much like how I sometimes ponder upgrading to a 14, while still being content with my 10's.  ;)

I just ordered up a pair of sena 20s off ebay 329 delivered, seemed to be a pretty good price.i have read a bunch of reviews saying the fm radio is crappy, I hope this is not true as I love listening to the radio during rides. here in mn I think only one ear speaker is legal so guess it will be the left,my wife will get both as she never drives.

pete

Pete said:
I just ordered up a pair of sena 20s off ebay 329 delivered, seemed to be a pretty good price.i have read a bunch of reviews saying the fm radio is crappy, I hope this is not true as I love listening to the radio during rides. here in mn I think only one ear speaker is legal so guess it will be the left,my wife will get both as she never drives.

FM radio in my 20S works great! I agree I love listening to the radio especially in new areas as my music gets a little old quickly. When you install the speakers, try to place the wires at the highest point in the helmet as it functions as the antenna.

Pete said:

pete
Best price I have saw, I got a pair for $341, and installed on my helmet, fm wasnt  great but iam a long way from a radio station too. I will keep them I. Case I buy a new bike.