• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Commuter boots

taratica

Training Wheels
Hi There,

The weather is great for a small stretch, here in the Portland/Vancouver area. I got back on my bike today. It was glorious and I'm looking forward to the ride home. Does anybody have some good recommendations, based on experience or observation, for a good pair of commuter boots? I'm a woman, working in an office and I'd love to wear my boots all day with my dark jeans or slacks instead of having to keep a separate pair of shoes/boots at work.

My Connie, Sheba, sat in the garage all winter. She started right up and didn't even lose any tire pressure...battery is a little low though:)

Thank you in Advance.

Tara (The Queen of Sheba)

Hi,
        I think you are going to find that a full blown sport bike type of boot is not really going to have all day comfort? :(

Just my personal opinion, others my disagree? ;D

Attachments

• kkkkkkkk.jpg
    kkkkkkkk.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 185
I have a pair of Tourmaster Solution 2.o that I wear all day.  Got them 1 full size too big, so I can put my own inner cushions I use in all of my footwear from New Balance.  Work great.  Comfortable.

Tara,
            I have a nice pair of "Milwaukee" boots I got from cycle gear or possibly J.C. Whitney I don't remember for sure It has been 4 years. They take a great spitshine  and they have laces. The good news is they also have hidden side zippers for easy on and easy off. As long as you are wearing pants at work, they are really comfortable and can go from riding to "church" very easily. If you wear a skirt at the office, I think this style for women went out in the eighties. They are pretty darned waterproof too, having recently moved from Forest Grove, O.R they stood the rain test nicely.  Hope that helps :)

Tara is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

ACISROC said:
Tara,
            I have a nice pair of "Milwaukee" boots I got from cycle gear or possibly J.C. Whitney I don't remember for sure It has been 4 years. They take a great spitshine  and they have laces. The good news is they also have hidden side zippers for easy on and easy off. As long as you are wearing pants at work, they are really comfortable and can go from riding to "church" very easily. If you wear a skirt at the office, I think this style for women went out in the eighties. They are pretty darned waterproof too, having recently moved from Forest Grove, O.R they stood the rain test nicely.  Hope that helps :)

Tara is cool  :great:  :great:  :great:

OOOO, ACISROC, those look neat:) I could totally go for a few of those styles! The 'Delusion', the 'Daredevil' and the 'Classic Harness' would fit my 'style'. Thank you!

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
        I think you are going to find that a full blown sport bike type of boot is not really going to have all day comfort? :(

Yep, my heft would crush those stilettos!

SantaCruzRider said:
I wear the FirstGear high mesh for commuting -- http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/first_gear/mesh_hi_boots_2013.html

I usually change into loafers or tennis shoes when I get to work, but they are comfortable when I just wear them all day. I'm sitting most of the day and no one has noticed them with my jeans on casual Friday.

Thank you, SantaCruzRider. I think that I actually have a similar pair on right now. But, they are wearing out, the soles and the creases on the tops of the boots.

dan4aspen said:
I have a pair of Tourmaster Solution 2.o that I wear all day.  Got them 1 full size too big, so I can put my own inner cushions I use in all of my footwear from New Balance.  Work great.  Comfortable.

Actually, looking at these, they are the actual ones that I'm wearing right now:)

dan4aspen said:

+1 on these...water proof, good crash protection (I personally know) and would wear them all day with a suit if
I forgot my dress shoes and no one noticed. (OH, and hiked 10 miles in them)

I forgot, my wife has TCX boots, and everything from above applies except wearing them at work with a suit!

I bought waterproof cowboy boots for riding my bike.  Not sure about the crash protection.  They have heels that are higher than anything else I own, feel too high for a man but I'm not from the country/west so I'm not used to them.  The benefit is they are tall enough so rain doesn't get between my rain pants and my socks when in riding position.
When I got them they were utility-belt colored smooth raw leather.  I put brown shoe polish on them and they shined up like fancy brown shiny leather.
I think you could live with the look if the safety is adequate.

I have a set of AlpineStars boots (I want to say they're from the SMX series, but my exact model is several years old now and they've probably changed a bit since then) and I have walked around the office all day with them having forgot I was wearing them.  They're just over ankle-height, all black leather, without a lot of straps and stuff on them.  When I first got them, they were pretty stiff, but after a month of riding around with them, they'd worn in to the point that I could wear them all day.  I wouldn't go jogging in them, but they're as comfortable as my sneakers for just walking around.

Only downside is that they make a bit more noise as I clomp around the office.  I tend to walk flat-footed anyway, so people hear me coming several cubes away.  Still, they're comfortable, stylish, and offer great protection!  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend AlpineStars gear for what you're looking to get.  If you're going to go try a bunch on, I'd put the SMX-3 series on your list.

I do think that, no matter what boots you get, you'll have to wear 'em in a bit before they'll be really all-day comfortable, though.  A month of sore feet for several years of comfort and safety seems like a good trade to me, though.

Tara said:
seagiant1 said:
Hi,

Yep, my heft would crush those stilettos!

Hi,
        Sorry, just having fun! :-X

I wear a pair of SIDI Boots, but they almost don't work as I wear size 15 and that's about all they can handle! :-[

They are good for riding and will protect my feet in a crash probably better than anything else! :great:

Do I want to walk around in them for hours? :(

No! ;D

Attachments

• tumblr_o20y27jnCj1upqktwo1_400.jpg
    tumblr_o20y27jnCj1upqktwo1_400.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 158
What size you after?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/66334/i/tcx-womens-x-rap-wp-shoes there's also a 10% coupon that'll work on those right now on the splash page. Do they still call it that?

These are good boots for stealth urbanites. They are every bit as protective as a low to mid-grade touring boot.  They are fairly stout and with the addition of Dr. Scholl's can be worn for the day. They run one size large. They run large. Yup, as you now understand, they do, indeed, run one size large.

That's my wife's size, but she's already got a pair of the lower height x-street model. I have two pairs myself. The X-rap and the X-street airflow one. I like them. I also have robust BMW SportDry touring boots. I wear the TCX's around town and the touring boots for my commute.

seagiant1 said:
Hi,

I'm not sure if those would match her bike...she did get the wrong color you know  :beerchug:

Tara, if you want boots for commuting, and for office use.
Why not just get a pair of Lady Ropers?
Would give some protection, look decent at work, and readily available.

Ride safe, Ted

My choice is Redback, type UBBK.  Not dedicated MC boots, but they are over ankle, slip on, tough as nails and have a thick anti-slip sole. I wear them everywhere. They are Australian sized, so a size 10 AUS equals US size 11.

Although they average about $160, I have seen them offered on eBay for under $100.

http://www.redbackboots.com/

How about a fancy pair of women's western boots?  High heel, (relatively) and pointy toe.  You'll be an inch taller.  Many designs made especially for women.  Cool.  Great with slacks or jeans, even kind of elegant.  Until you get used to wearing a pointy-toe western boot, you can't believe how comfortable they are.  (The leather soon stretches around your foot and they fit like a glove.)

Hundreds of styles out there, like this:

http://www.sheplers.com/Corral-Sequin-Inlay-Cowgirl-Boots-Pointed-Toe/18872.pro?parentCategoryId=448&categoryId=459&subCategoryId=2298

I wear Alpinestars with Goretex, etc., now, but for years I wore my cowboy boots.  When I first got the Connie, they let me flat-foot it, until I got a lowering kit.

Boots made for Desert combat readily allow air flow. Not the prettiest thing out there, but VERY comfortable in warm weather. I wear mine in 90 in the shade and my feet never get hot.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=desert+boots&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xdesert+combat+boots.TRS0&_nkw=desert+combat+boots&_sacat=0

Pardon my obvious, but the reviews are helpful to weed out the junk from the long haul models

If boot changing is on your agenda, those with side zippers are great for quicker changes.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/189-8635655-4888542?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=side+zip+boots

If spending large $ on boots does not scare you, maybe something from the Heritage collection? Hard to know exactly what you feel is appearance appropriate for the office you work in, so I'm kinda reaching here.
http://www.redwingheritage.com/us/USD/footwear
I'm told Red Wings end up being a foot's best friend.

I wear the Aerostich Combat Touring boots and they are very comfortable. Now I find myself in an office environment and am thinking of getting the "lite" version. Really comfortable boot in my opinion.

The more protection, the less movement and comfort. 

Sometimes I wear my Chuck's to commute  :-X :great:

13087934_10207126151326777_229081451336097775_n.jpg