• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours 1000 Tool kit

JTop28

Training Wheels
I bought a used ZG1000 about a month ago. I decided I should put together a basic tool kit together to stash under the seat. So far, I figure I need a flat head and phillips screw driver, 10mm thru 15mm wrenches, needle nose pliers or vise grips (both?), set of metric hex wrenches. Any thing else you guys can suggest? What do you carry?

The stock spark plug socket is invaluable and I think I have one in my extra partial tool kit.Send me email at jerrygaither@hotmail.com to remind me to look in shed.My partial kit might have some to get you started,it has the case.  The Wizard

I would replace the phillips screwdriver with a JIS screwdriver. I've learned there's nothing worse than stripping a JIS screw out on the road because you're not using the right tool.

You'll need a big enough wrench for your rear axle.  I believe the small end of the axle is 17mm.  Also, buy or order this bolt for an emergency foot peg, just in case.
This is the Home Depot part number:
Qty Internet # UPC Code
1 203539303 030699031788 M8-1.25 x 110 mm Zinc Class 8.8 Metric Hex Bolt $2.87

I replaced most of these with the Murph's screw kit, and I also picked up the "T" handled hex drivers he sells as well.  I also have a 1/4" drive craftsman metric socket set (10 piece maybe).  But I doubt I use more than a three of the sockets in there.

DasPirate said:
I would replace the phillips screwdriver with a JIS screwdriver. I've learned there's nothing worse than stripping a JIS screw out on the road because you're not using the right tool.

JTop28 said:
I bought a used ZG1000 about a month ago. I decided I should put together a basic tool kit together to stash under the seat. So far, I figure I need a flat head and phillips screw driver, 10mm thru 15mm wrenches, needle nose pliers or vise grips (both?), set of metric hex wrenches. Any thing else you guys can suggest? What do you carry?

This all depends on the situation.  I basically carry everything I think I will need if the worse case scenario raises its ugly head.
The last item is the most important!  ;)

Bob’s Concours Tool kit
¼” Standard Flat head screwdriver
#2 Phillips screwdriver
Shorty screwdrivers Phillips and flat head
Combo Wrenches: 8,10,12,13,14,15,17,19mm
¼” drive sockets: 8,10,12,13,14,15,17,19mm
¼” to 3/8” drive adapter, 3/8” breaker bar
Allen wrench set and 3/8” drive Allen sockets 4,5,6,8,10mm
18mm spark plug socket with 12” extension
2 ea. 3” & 6” ¼” extensions
½” drive breaker bar & 27mm socket for rear wheel
6” crescent wrench
Needle nose pliers
Needle nose vise grip
8” tapered punch
6” metal file
Razor knife & serrated pocket knife
Internal and External ring pliers
Tire Breezer tool
Portable air compressor
Flat fix kit (Both string and plug types and patches)
Air chuck & extra valve stems
Schrader valve tool & extra valves
2”x4”x6” wood block
3 - tire irons
Mini Jumper cables
Hand Siphon and clear tubing
2 flashlights and LED headlamp
Bic Lighter and matches
Duct Tape
Electrical Zip ties
Fuel line & clamps
Extra spark plug
Napa radiator hose and extra clamps
First Aid Kit
Funnel
H4, H7 and 1157 bulbs
Assorted fuses, extra relay, electrical tape
Emergency foot peg bolts
Various fasteners, washers, nuts, etc....
Hand cleaner and latex glocves
COG membership book

2linby said:
JTop28 said:

This all depends on the situation.  I basically carry everything I think I will need if the worse case scenario raises its ugly head.

Bob’s Concours Tool kit
The entire contents of the Grainger catalog

Fixed

How the heck do you fit all of that under your seat?

Patrick said:
2linby said:
JTop28 said:

Bob’s Concours Tool kit
The entire contents of the Grainger catalog

Fixed

How the heck do you fit all of that under your seat?

I have everything in my saddle bags and under the seat. Mostly in the saddlebags behind a couple of custom made panels I concocted up years ago.

260896032mgUVBj_fs_zpsc298931f.jpg
Here's most of the hand tools.

260902089sCMkfj_fs_zps852c0d28.jpg
Plastic panel I made to hold everything in the "nooks and crannies" or the saddle bags.

260897938etbHAe_fs_zps2248f282.jpg

260884826Cfoeex_fs_zps6b405605.jpg
3/32" aircraft wire with rivets as my saddle bag holder. Never break these!

2Linby:  Would you care to share pics of your custom panels?  I've carried my tools in an old fabric lunch box which is getting close to the end of its useful life and I'm interested in your system.

JathkaJoe

Yeah I could use one of those plastic dividers and the saddlebag lid strap, like 5 of them.  The Wizard

All good stuff and the tool kit I built and carried for my Honda had most of these items but the most important tool I carry is a cell phone and a CAA membership (AAA for you south of the border)!  Then again on my old bike I didn't travel far from home...the Connie might change that though.

2Linby,
Wow, that's a tool kit! I really like the false panel. And thanks to everyone with the suggestions.

so...

the emergency peg available at  Home Depot
Qty    Internet #    UPC Code   
1    203539303    030699031788    M8-1.25 x 110 mm Zinc Class 8.8 Metric Hex Bolt    $2.87

checked my local HD here in Canada and they don't have it....nothing over 70mm.  I happen to be in the US for 2 days on a road trip (in the van unfortunately) end of this week and if I pass a HD does anyone know in the US stores still carry it?

Derek said:
smithr1 said:
If you can order from Murphs? it probable would have already been there.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_91_87&products_id=79

Yes it might have but $2.87 VS $7.75 (plus shipping to Canada) is a big difference for something I plan NEVER to use.... at least that's what my version of Murphy's law says.

I already have a list building of parts I will be ordering from Murph's for winter projects.

Rode home once 20 miles with no foot peg.  Any longer and I would have gladly paid $5 extra to get it in the kit.  It was kind of fun though learning a new riding style.

being new to COG and my Concourse I will ask possibly a  silly question... Why would you need a temp peg anyways.  Is it the first thing to break off in a drop/fall or is it a weak part that just breaks off without gravity's help?

thanks

Road trip begins at 5 am tomorrow!  Again sorry it's not on the Connie but have bike trips planned when home before vacation ends.

Derek- When Pikes Peak was being paved, I was following the pilot truck on the way up. I managed to drop the bike on a switchback and broke the right footpeg mount. I had an 8mm bolt with me and it served as my footpeg for 2000 miles till I got back home to NY.

Don't leave home without it!

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Speaking of home depot, I am going to my local HD this weekend. My HD has these bolts but also longer than 110mm. Isn't 110mm or 4.4" a little too short?

If I had multiple choices of lengths between 85mm and 180mm (7"); what length would be best?

Does anyone know how deep the threads go?

The only problem I see with getting a longer bolt is the amount of leverage your resting foot could exert on it and would be more likely to bend.

If HD doesn't have it, purchase it on-line and have them delivery it to the store for free.  I'm in the Dallas area and none of the stores here stocked that bolt. 

Back from my US/CDN road trip and I stopped at a HD somewhere in New Hampshire.  Didn't have it and stock number didn't exist.
Went for a ride yesterday and stopped out of town at a well known bolt supply house that I passed, didn't stock it but could order it in.  didn't order it as it was a different town but headed to the same chain near home but got the stores mixed up but found another store.  Didn't have the 110mm but had it in 120mm.  Told him I only needed 1 and what it was for and he replied "this one's on me today, Have a great ride and hope you never need it".

thanks

More money for other parts I say.

Glad you found one.  That's strange HD couldn't pull it up.  I just did a search on the HD website using the Internet# and the UPC Code separately and both searches brought up this bolt.  Well, at least you got a free one for all your trouble.  Sounds like you found a good alternative to HD.  Good luck.

Qty    Internet #    UPC Code 
1    203539303    030699031788    M8-1.25 x 110 mm Zinc Class 8.8 Metric Hex Bolt    $2.87