• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours vs bmw rt

taters

Big Wheel
I am thinking of going to a concours14. I currently ride a BMW rt. Mainly I would like to know if I will be disappointed with the ergos.  I love the comfort and seating position of the rt. I am 6'2".  Lots of other things I don't like about the Beemer though.  Thanks for any feedback.  Taters

I rode a BMW RT while shopping for bikes, I was ok on it, but find the C-14 to be more comfortable.  My wife hated the BMW passenger seat, but likes the Connie.  I have put a Sargent leather seat on the Concours, other than that no ergo changes.  I was concerned about leg room at first, but I haven't experienced any problems on either of the trips I've taken on it.  We're planning on riding two up to the Winding Roads and Rivers Rally in September, that will be our first extended two up test, the most miles we've put on it together were about 150.  For reference, I'm 6', 34 inch inseam.

I'm really short so this might not apply to you.  My RT was confortable to me with no changes to the bars, seat etc.  I needed to put risers on the C14 because my arms are so short and the stock seat sucks for me.  My friend is about 6'2" or so.  He doesn't like the forward slope of the seat but so far lives with it.  In 7K miles, he hasn't changed anything to do with ergos.

There was a similar question earlier. I bought a C14, added Corbin seat, Cee Baileys Ultra Tour and 2in risers.  Little lady didn't like it so I bought an 04 R1150RT for 2 up.  Added a Cee Bailey's Euro Cut and Bill Meyer seat.  Stock seat for the pillion.  Now she'll ride for a couple of hours on the RT so success...  sorta.  I much prefer the C14 for it's speed, handling and less vibration.  The seating position on the C14 is still more aggressive than the RT but plenty comfy for me.  My range is better on the RT.  Neither one follows the speed limit, dammit.  If you already have the RT, I'd keep it until you're sure you like the C14, just in case. You know you can sell it yourself for more than the dealer will give you in trade.  Good luck and happy trails. ;D

I had a 2001 GS1150 and it was much taller than the 2008 C14. I am 6'3". The C14 spacing from the pegs to the seat also seems smaller. I added Murphs lowering pegs and the C14 seems fine with the stock seat.

RT is shorter than the GS so ....

I have ridden both and suspect that you may wish to add a peg lowering kit if you go with the Connie. The upper body ergos should be fine. You may wish to note though, the your shoulders and helmet will be noticeably more 'in the wind' with the C14 than with the BMW. This could likely be solved with an aftermarket windshield.

The power, handling, and stability of the C14 are terrific. I also like the fact that ABS, traction control, battery voltage monitoring, and TPS are all nicely integrated into the bike.

Good luck.

I went from an 07 Goldwing to the C14, and am much more comfortable on it (so that should tell you how good the ergos are!)

I've got bar risers and dropped the pegs. That's all it took to make me comfy. I'm 6'2, 32" inseam, 300 pounds. I've ridden from West Virginia to CT in one day with only butt burn... no other pain.