• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Connie Cafe?! Let me know what you think!

trenchfighter

Road Bike
It has a way to go, but heres a sneak peek!

I picked this bike up in Cali on a trade, rode it for a bit and then stored it. So for the past year or two I have been rebuilding it with the help of everyone on here. Once I got it back together and rode it, I didnt really like the full fairing. It just wasnt for me, I have never ridden a full fairing bike and right now, its not for me.

So I had the debate...get rid of this bike that Ive had all of this help on (SISF, Stasch, Chip Doc, Eddie, The other Ted, all of the staff and anyone else I forgot, there are many!) and get another bike, or turn this into something else?! So, keeping with the slogan "Join for the bike and stay for the people" I decided I would Join for the bike and stay for the bike and the people!

So what you see is the beginning of the project. The important things to me were to keep the range...factory tank, lower the stance...but keep some suspension for comfort on the long hauls, and to use as many factory parts as possible to keep costs down. The clip ons, are actually factory risers with about 2 1/2 inches sectioned out! I will also be changing out the exhaust, but that one is still being designed.

I know its different but let me know what you think!

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 483
  • photo2.JPG
    photo2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 365
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 379
  • photo4.JPG
    photo4.JPG
    35.3 KB · Views: 381
Personally I think it makes way more sense than the smaller bikes people are doing.  Interested in seeing the final product.

Wow, I'm speechless. This may be a first for the Connie. Long distance between cafes huh. Is there a stocked 4-1 header that can fitted to a naked C10? Can't wait for the finished product.

Awesome ! That's what this is all about . Make it fit you man . I just wish I had that much time on my hands to play with stuff like that .

What is that thing right behind the gas tank?  Just kidding.  It doesn't hint of long-haul comfort to my eye but I'm sure you'll work out the kinks.

I think it's going to look pretty cool without the fairing.  I agree with Tim about the bigger size...makes more sense to me and the C10 is such an elemental bike anyway, it's a perfect candidate for the cafe.  I hope you'll keep posting updates.  You're probably going to create a whole new subculture: the C10C.  Buy a wrecked bike and cafe it.  Cool idea.

So the bags will go on the tank, top and sides (custom made by me) , and there is a huge compartment under the seat that will secure. We used a smaller gell cell and laid it on its size for more space and to be able to build the compartment.

As for the seat, that is actually the pan out of a corbin that came with the bike, it has been shortened about 4 inches, so although it dosent look like it, the seat and leg position will be exactly the same! The bars are lower, but Im 5'8 so that suits me really well.

I really love this bike so far, its wild, but the paint and powdercoat will be even more wild!

Thanks all for the encouraging comments!

I agree with Tim.  Anything smaller than a KZ650 looses some of the fun factor.  I am betting this has a lot of that!

Well, remember that Connie IS a 900 Ninja to start with (or an old Gpz depending on how far back you wanna look). So in an odd way (no criticism meant!), it's kinda not that special to make her a cafe...more of stripping her down back to her roots!

Definitley makes more sense to me to start with something like a Connie - already has great power, easy driveability (that low RPM torque is wonderful!), already has a sport pedigree.

Be careful on the header - exhaust is CRUCIAL to maintaining that low RPM torque. If you "open up" (remove restrictions) the exhaust too much (in chasing raw HP numbers) you may lose that great low rpm torque and trade it for high rpm HP. Not a good trade in my book.

She should be something else when done!

GTR1400 Drag fighter WSID Jamboree sportsbike class winner 2011

concoursstreet.jpg

Love it! I've ratted every bike I've ever had up to now. I thought when I bought Rufus those days were over. Perhaps not >:D 
Keep it up and keep the pics coming, as mentioned you may well begin a new subclass. I'd personally love a farkled C10 AND a custom C10C. :motonoises:

Kudos!  :)

Ted,  Been wondering when we might see what your end result is going to be.

I think it looks real cool.  That black ninja engine with silver hi-lites - usually hidden on most C10's - looks good.

I have a parts bike with no sub frame - just the rear wheel and those fat cans sticking back there.

Made me think how cool it would be to do a solo seat, lowered, etc - and you're doing it!

Way cool.  The grunt of a C10 on a bike that's been put on a diet and has had its rider + bike CG significantly lowered . . . . should be real fun to ride!

Are there plans for some type of wind protection or are you going to just run her bare?

Curious to see how the pegs'  and foot controls placement works out with the lowered seating. 

Keep us posted!

Stasch,

Ive been waiting for you to chime in! You should sell me that parts bike youve got...I have some other ideas!

So, you mentioned the riding position....the only thing that has changed is the bars are lower, the seat and the footpegs are in the factory spots.

My one concern is lowering the front forks, as you can see there is not much room between the fork seals and the bottom tree....hurts to look cool sometimes I guess.....I am still working on that.

The bike should really move out, I guesstimate that I have shed somewhere in the neighboorhood of 100lbs possibly more, with all of the bracketry and body work. Once I run the exhaust the centerstand will come off, as well as modifying the radiator and fans, so I may shed some weight there as well.

Despite the look this bike will be a long haul tourer, I am partial to full face helmets and am used to riding out in the wind, so there will be no fairing or windshield.  I have a design for some pretty amazing bags (in my head at this point). But they should offer the storage I lost when I got rid of the hard bags, plus I travel fairly light. Riding suit....number of days riding / 2 = number of shivvies needed, ipod, iphone, tools.....done. Toothbrush if theres room.

Its not in the pics but there is a big single headlight mounted up front, lower on the forks than normal, and the rear tail light will be two round lights mounted side by side, with turnsignal integrated. License plate will be mounted down on the swing arm.

Its a vision, we will see how it comes together. Welcome to my madness,

TrenchFighter

Love to see it when it's done! For me, a large part of any project like this is in the craftsmanship and details. And I like to see cool bikes that look like they would actually be ride-able*, with things like fenders and good lighting, some storage, or at least a place to strap on some of the usual stuff.

*ride-able, as in more than to the local pub and back. I see a lot of customs that can be ridden, and sure they are ridden, but seriously who wants to ride some of these things for a full day, let alone a week of camping? Of course, your bike is your bike and riding like that may not be your thing and I mean no offense if that's the case.

I totally agree with you WillyP, I dont believe in bar hoppers...ride for ten minutes...eat a burger BS for an hour....ride 10 minutes repeat.

I am more of a touring rider, I like long trips and a destination...I also like commuting, makes good financial sense. I think I can pull off the bar hopper look of a bike, while keeping the utility and at least some of the comfort of a distance rider.

Ill let you guys know when I actually get to ride it somewhere, if I met my goal! (or should I say "Our" goal, since it seems like all Connie riders are actual riders!)

Thanks,
TF

When I sold my C10 , had to talk the guy across the street out of buying it and making a cafe racer out of it.Kind of sorry I did now !

So with 100lbs gone and a similar riding position, do you notice the diet in a twisty  riding context?  (other than just balls out drag running in a straight line)  I mean is it more flickable?  More agile?  Similar to before?

Alekkas,

Unfortunatly I cant really say, before I tore it down, I didnt really spend that much time riding it, but i did have the chance to run it up and down Palomar Mountain and the Ortega highway in SoCal quite a few times. I havent ridden it at all since its been torn down, as soon as I do, I will give you guys an update. I hoping to group up with some other Connie riders next summer, to see if I can flog them all in the twisties. :nananana:

After I get it all back together, the next month or two, I will blow it all apart and get it powdercoated and painted over the winter....by Spring it should be finished and ready to ride, and I will have all the bags done and mounted....I have to make up for missing the whole riding season this year......So I will be putting down some miles!

>:D OK, I love it and am considering doing something similar! So I have a few questions that would make this conversion a little easier.
Will a ZRX top triple clamp work on the Connie forks? Is there a fender eliminator kit of any kind that will work on the connie's sub-frame?

Fun!

There was a parts bike that came up for free locally a while back.  I seriously considered doing this very thing so I could have my full fairing'ed C10, and a hooligan naked one as well.  But, space just isn't there in my garage right now, and I'm sure my wife would kill me if I had yet another non-op bike (next to the Seca Turbo) in my garage.  Ah some day.

Look forward to the results.

6riders, I cant really say, I didnt research and parts interchange for my bike, I was trying to stick with what I already had on hand, ya know, to keep costs down and to maintain the little bit of space I have left in the shop!!

6 Riders said:
>Will a ZRX top triple clamp work on the Connie forks?

No, the ZRX uses larger forks and has a different offset.  The triple clamps from an early ZR750 (Zephyr) will bolt in and will allow the use of tubular bars.  The top clamp may swap by itself, but I don't know if the offset is the same as the Connie.  If that fails, there's always Murph, who sells handlebar adapters.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_90&products_id=142

From the standpoint of handling, far better to install the entire front fork set from a ZRX1200:

293-P4270014_zpsc18539b7.jpg

With these you get:

> Modern 17" wheel designed for low profile radial tires comes with the deal. It is also much lighter in weight than the stock Concours wheel.

> 43mm fork tubes vs. 41mm tubes on the stock Concours forks - far more rigid.

> The much larger axle diameter results in much stronger and tougher front wheel bearings.

> Massive brakes with six piston calipers.

> Fully adjustable compression and rebound damping are built-in.

> Conversion to tubular handlebars comes with the deal also.

When you're done you can sell the Concours front end to defray much of the cost of acquiring the ZRX parts.

Dan

I am really interested in doing that forlk swap! I know it is a little backwards, for me anyway, but I am going to finish working on the "look" that I am after and then I want to turn it into the preformer I want.

Im curious to see what I can squeeze out of the concours.

TF

why not??  Years ago, I had a new ST1000 Kawasaki...after a few years, I did sort of the same thing...4 into 1, cafe bars, solo seat, and S+W resevoir shocks...it was badass

I'm also anxiously awaiting an update.  I'd love to pick up a second C10 ("parts bike") and do this someday...

Bergmen said:
From the standpoint of handling, far better to install the entire front fork set from a ZRX1200:

293-P4270014_zpsc18539b7.jpg

With these you get:

> Modern 17" wheel designed for low profile radial tires comes with the deal. It is also much lighter in weight than the stock Concours wheel.

> 43mm fork tubes vs. 41mm tubes on the stock Concours forks - far more rigid.

> The much larger axle diameter results in much stronger and tougher front wheel bearings.

> Massive brakes with six piston calipers.

> Fully adjustable compression and rebound damping are built-in.

> Conversion to tubular handlebars comes with the deal also.

When you're done you can sell the Concours front end to defray much of the cost of acquiring the ZRX parts.

Dan

hrm, what year(s) zrx1200 do one look for in scooping up said front end for conversion? thanks

turbo-max said:
hrm, what year(s) zrx1200 do one look for in scooping up said front end for conversion? thanks

1999 (ZRX1100), 2000-2005 (ZRX1200) are almost exactly the same AFAIK. There have been some subtle internal changes to the suspension (cartridge, adjustability, etc.). I have a set from a 2003 ZRX1200. Physically (triple clamps, fork tubes, brakes, wheel, etc.) I believe all are identical.

Dan

The shops I frequent and many friends build cafe bikes in the neighborhood, but seeing a cafe connie is seriously bad ass....

Damnit, you're gonna make me do the same aintcha!

What are your plans for the front end? Gauges, lighting, e.t.c. Are gauges legally required?

Oh, I agree with the ZRX front end, lots of bang for the buck if you can do the work yourself.

Anything you need for the bike? I can look through the parts bin and make a donation to the build.

Sorry for the long hiatus, been pretty busy with planning out my life, kids, college and all of those other non motorcycle related distractions!

Look for some pics and updates in the next few days!

ohhhhh, its so far from done, as a matter of fact I took more of it apart yesterday and started chopping off more things.

The intent when I got back to it, was "stick with what I have and leave the rest alone, just get it on the road"

That lasted about 5 mins.

Front fender, shortened and split to fit the rear tire. Eventually this will be a swingarm mounted hugger style fender:

Attachments

• IMG_4761.JPG
    IMG_4761.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_4757.JPG
    IMG_4757.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 130
Stock handlebars, sectioned 2 and a half inches and clearance to retain factory controls:

Attachments

• IMG_4777.JPG
    IMG_4777.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 126
Top clamp, ignition switch removed, mounting point chopped and smoothed and top of clamp surfaced for a smooth look:

Attachments

• IMG_4766.JPG
    IMG_4766.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_4770.JPG
    IMG_4770.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4773.JPG
    IMG_4773.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4779.JPG
    IMG_4779.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 85
Shocks, removed, disassembled and all excess tabs cut off and smoothed. I also smoothed all of the casting lines:

Attachments

• IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4776.JPG
    IMG_4776.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4775.JPG
    IMG_4775.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_4767.JPG
    IMG_4767.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 75
I would love to see you on this bike running against a Buell on a 1/4 mile strip for pink slips!

But, then again, who really wants a harley dripping in their garage, right?

TrenchFighter said:
Hahahaha, I'd take a Buell....then I'd sell that Buell to fund another Connie project!

Great idea!!!  :great:

All you would have to do to get a good price for it would be to find someone that has never had a REAL friend or never really amounted to anything and tell them they could become part of the elite brotherhood called HOG...  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:  :rotflmao:

No updates on the bike today, plan for the weekend is to pull off the tires and take them in for powdercoating....wait until you see the color scheme I picked. It should go along nicely with the uniquness of the build.

Has anyone else had their rims powder coted? Im wondering what the cost will be.

I think you might be the 1st to have the tires powder coated  :)) :)) :))

You are probably planning on putting some type of padding for the seat (I hope) if you're planning on riding to Idaho Falls on this bike.  I have some really nice medical foam from Simba, which is quite dense and I think might work really well on a low profile seat.  I've got enough for quite a bit extra after I use it for what have in mind.  Lemme know if you could use some.

I really like the rear fender idea.  Keep us posted. 

I had a price of 60 a rim single solid color. Decided on keeping them silver for the time being. Was told to remove bearings, valve stems and rear cush drive.

TrenchFighter said:
No updates on the bike today, plan for the weekend is to pull off the tires and take them in for powdercoating....wait until you see the color scheme I picked. It should go along nicely with the uniquness of the build.

Has anyone else had their rims powder coted? Im wondering what the cost will be.

I would love to know how much you had to give for the powder coating on the rims... Mine could eventually use the same treatment!!!

Thanks for the heads up Bob. I had some steel rims for a 68 Camaro sandblasted a few months ago an it was $200, and those bad boys were RUSTY! So I think the bike rims will be $100 or less....fingers crossed for less...but the place is owned by an Army retiree and his buddy that was in the Navy. So you never know with those guys...kinda moody just like in the fleet! :nananana:

OH HEY THERE REAPER!!  :truce: Thanks for the offer, I have some foam for the seat already. It wont be nearly as thick as a stock seat but should be just enough to get me to Idaho without dying, or arriving 2 inches shorter. And I changed my mind about powdercoating tires....I think they'll melt, too bad, it would have been verry very unique!

Stasch said:
I think you might be the 1st to have the tires powder coated  :)) :)) :))

You are probably planning on putting some type of padding for the seat (I hope) if you're planning on riding to Idaho Falls on this bike.  I have some really nice medical foam from Simba, which is quite dense and I think might work really well on a low profile seat.  I've got enough for quite a bit extra after I use it for what have in mind.  Lemme know if you could use some.

I really like the rear fender idea.  Keep us posted.

Not to hijack the thread, but can you tell us more about Simba foam? I assume this is a manufacturer/brand - do they have a website? I've been looking for high-density closed-cell foam without paying an arm and a leg...so any info you have would be great.

So I have gotten back into the bike recently (trying to have it done mid March). I was working on getting the front tire off of the rim...I swear to you, I will never do a roadside repair! I cannot for the life of me break the bead on this thing!!!

TrenchFighter said:
So I have gotten back into the bike recently (trying to have it done mid March). I was working on getting the front tire off of the rim...I swear to you, I will never do a roadside repair! I cannot for the life of me break the bead on this thing!!!

Had the same experience with a Metzler 880 front.  My local shop charges $30 bucks to remove the old and put on the new if you remove the wheel from the bike.  I spent four hours on it, including using a sawzall and finally gave up and took it to the shop. :mad:

Forgot to say +1 on the bike!  I'm really anxious to see how you resolve "cafe bags"...

Also, I've been toying with this idea myself, but more from the perspective of lightening the bike.  Are you recording what you've done to the bike anywhere else besides the pictures?

I actually started tearing it down so fast, and turning over the parts, that I didnt weigh what I was taking off! I wish I would have. So my course of action now is to weigh it after it is completely done, and Ill post up the results in comparison to the stock weight.

I finally got the front tire off but man it was a struggle! I am not looking forward to the rear tire. Ill have the rims in for powder coating by the end of the week....looking forward to seeing them done!

Put in an order today with Murphskits, for new headstem bearings, seals and wheel bearing and seals......looks like I'm doing Trench from the ground up! This thing is going to be great for riding this Summer....Im really looking forward to getting it back on the road.

As far as the cafe bags go I am considering extending the tail section a bit so I can store a sleeping mat under the tail section in some custom bags the hope is to hide some of my storage and keep the clean minimalist look of the bike, even when I am doing a long distance ride. The concept is to have most of the storage on the tank bag, and the bag will be designed to work with the body lines of the tank, and also not require removal for a fuel up. I am interested in doing some Iron Butt rides and this will be a nice feature.

The bags will be made of Cordura, and feature a few small side pockets, but most storage will be in a main pocket, simple and easy. Ill put up some pics when I get the time to get the design out of my head.

Thats it for now,
TF

a little motivation for ya...you been on this for a year..... :rotflmao:

before: $500 p.o.s. i bought for "parts"... :-[ :-[

197545661XvqORr_ph.jpg

197545730mexNWX_ph.jpg

looked way better in photos than in real life... :-[ ::) :-\
279235988qmQNGt_fs.jpg

279236389gEnqmb_fs.jpg

279237019xfzGFr_fs.jpg

279239094lQuzWn_fs.jpg

a couple months, and a couple $$
410607350vOzerp_fs.jpg

410606641yPNVMP_fs.jpg

410606942ODmLav_fs.jpg

not a Cafe, but Hooligan just the same

I like that bike! Nice work, And thanks for the poke in the eye over the one year and counting build!

The part that is truly slowing me down is the fabrication. I dont have any of the tools or skills to do it myself, so I have to rely on others...that sucks bad!

Buuuuttt, I will be getting the rims in today or tomorrow, Im hoping that gives me the kick I need to get it finished and riding!

Thanks for the motivation!
TF

I wish I would have poweder coated my rims. I stripped all the paint off mine, used model paint for the inside marbled areas, polished the smooth metal, then 3 coats of clear coat. They look pretty good. I just hope the clear coat holds up.

Attachments

• Hazy Rims - small.jpg
    Hazy Rims - small.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 92
you painted those with model paint? they look great! I also thought about polishing parts of mine too, but i decided if I didnt I would have less opportunity to mess something up, so mine will be a solid color!

With all that clear yours should hold up great, I spray cleared a set of car rims a few years ago and it held up amazingly.

TF

Rims are off to powedercoat, cost for sandblasting, primer and two coats of powdercoat = $102.00 I dont think thats to bad.

Now the bike is pretty bare, but I did get to sand blast the rotors and calipers and lay down some black...

Attachments

• IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 83
Prepping the tank for sanding/sandblasting I decided to use golf tees to plug the vent/overflow, press them in and cut them off, leaving enough to get a good grip on with pliers...

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0920.jpg
    IMG_0920.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 58
I also found this mess in the bottom of my tank on both sides, looks like someone tried to coat the tank and failed...I wonder if this is why I had to send my carbs to SISF?

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 76
Not long after I gave my ex-son-in-law my '86 Connie in near original shape with low miles, he stripped the bodywork off, painted it flat black, installed some goofy headlights on it and wrecked it twice.

You'd spend more than it's worth making a Connie ACT like a cafe racer, instead of kinda LOOKING like an over-fed one...

Unless you are over 6 feet tall, weigh well over 200 pounds, don't mind taking twisties at a relatively slow plod, and have amazing upper body strength, a Connie isn't a very good choice for a cafe racer.

...my opinion only.

GrandPaul,

You need to be tall, heavy, and strong to ride a Connie? So with that logic, can you be shorter, lighter, and weaker if it is a stripped down Connie?

Gosh, I'm on the perfect path!

I think Connie is a viable candidate for what Trenchie is up to.  Well, maybe not the Iron Butt part with that seat and bar, but if he can do it... more power to him.

Hey TF, you're lookin' pretty good.  Have you any plans for power enhancement?  I know Connie runs fair enough stock, but a turbo on there would certainly make her ride better.  >:D

Power corrupts.  Absolute Turbo power corrupts absolutely! :motonoises:

Rev,

I love the idea of a turbo, but for now I am staying away from the go fast goodies. I want to get it done and on the road, perfect my setup in somewhat stock form, and then begin the heavy duty upgrades. I still have a lot to sort out as far as luggage setup and getting it dialed in as it is, and the worst parts of it all, I havent had more that 10 minutes of seat time on this bike in over two years!

I need to get it done in time to put down some miles (get my 50k sticker) and have it perfect in time for this years Rally!

what do you guys thing of this setup? Utilizes the stock setup which goes with the Connie...and saves me a wad of cash too...

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 119
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 108
I say use as much "Connie" on it as possible.  As a Cafe Connie, I
think people should be able to recognize its "Roots".  That would
only add to its allure, as there aren't any others out there!

I was taking a closer look at that setup...I dont know how I feel about it. But I also came up with the idea of just integrating the turn signals right into the stock taillight....cleans it up and keeps it legal!

TF

Spent a few more hours in the garage today...feels good to be making some good headway. I should have the rims back tomorrow and possible with the tires mounted. The goal tomorrow is to atleast have the forks and front end back together....time will tell!

More painted parts, wheel and headstem bearings, and the tank being stripped;

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 78
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 74
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 98
TrenchFighter said:
I also found this mess in the bottom of my tank on both sides, looks like someone tried to coat the tank and failed...I wonder if this is why I had to send my carbs to SISF?

hmmmmmmm
that isn't good..... :-\

I HIGHLY SUGGEST before you spend $$$ on prepping and painting that tank, you dip inside again and get it closely inspected.
The white stuff id definatly "Kreme" someone did a coating on it way back, it likely has deteriorated.
There was likely a REASON they coated it, these tanks frequenlty develop pinhole leaks down in the rear bottom "wings", and even though you can't see them, they will seep and ruin your paintjob.
POR-15 makes a solvent that removes the Kreme coat product completly, and allows you to prep and coat with thier product, which I can attest to as being top line. I've POR'd a couple tanks, and it is the good stuff. Especially for the conni, if you allow it to pool down in those nether regions, it will fill and remove anyplace that water can sit and re-rust.

seriosly, do the POR stuff, it ain't expensive, but it is effective
here:
http://www.por15.com/HD-CYCLE-TANK-REPAIR-KIT/productinfo/HDCTRK/
I'd also call them if you plan to buy, and have them substitute the pint size can of sealer for the 8oz one that normally comes with the kit.
The last tank I used this on was a 3.2 gallon KZ tank, and 8 oz was fine, you need more to do a complete conni tank.
http://www.por15.com/US-STANDARD-TANK-SEALER/productinfo/TSG/

:great:

I will definitely check that out M.O.B, thanks for the great info...I inspected the tank really well and dint even see a hint of rust, but I hadnt thought about the pinholes, even though I have read about them!

Ill let you know how it goes, stay tuned!

I had a bad turn of events yesterday, broke off a bolt in the final drive while I was taking it apart. Naturally it is one of the bottom bolts and now my bike is leaking 2-3 drops of oil overnight....blah. Ill give you updates on how the extraction goes!

So Ive been thinking on the luggage piece of the "trench" project. I just passed the 18 year mark as a USMC Infantryman and told myself that I would never suffer unnecessarily again...so I need to be able to carry a 2 man tent, a sleeping pad, coffee and other niceities, so I will need more room than originally planned! I came up with the idea of an extending tail section. It would simply be a sliding section under the seat that would slide out and provide a platform about 10"x7" which would be great for a nice size tail bag, and if I can figure out a way to do it, I will also put fold out pieces that will be supports for small saddlebags. I can make all the bags myself, and I actually have all the cordura, zippers and webbing to make it happen. This sliding section will have the tail light attached and wired in with a self coiling length of wire run through the frame

Take a look at the draft and let me know what you think... 

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 144
TrenchFighter said:
You need to be tall, heavy, and strong to ride a Connie? So with that logic, can you be shorter, lighter, and weaker if it is a stripped down Connie?

I've ridden my share of connies, and they aren't the tool of choice for cafe style riding.

As I said, just my opinion.

(even a ZRX is clumsy in the tight stuff)

I dont disagree, it is a big and heavy bike! Ill will say that really the only reason I am doing this is that I have more time and effort into this bike than any other, so I dont want to sell it, and I really like the COG community. "Join for the bike, stay for the Maniacs" I mean "people".

TF

Compared to the Big Hoss, the Concours comes in as a feather weight!

As I was thinking about your "tail shelf", I immediately thought a table
with folding "leaves".  Perhaps you can make a slightly larger cargo shelf
by making it 3 pieces, so it can fold out after it's pulled out.  It would
make a more stable cargo platform.... assuming it can be done at all.  ::)

I know Accuride have heavy duty slides that can hold 250 lbs. 
It's the vibration and 'weather' that would be their likely downfall.
Accuride makes some high quality stuff, if you want to take a look.

Keep dem updates a comin'

Hazy,

The plan is to have her up and running, and rideable by the end of April at the latest. Its been 2 years since Ive ridden "Trench" thats been long enough! I got my neighbor to help me out on the welding and fab (fair trade since I gave him a 66 F100 last year!) So I will be getting the tail section materials next week and fabbing it up at his place.

Ok, here are some updates....finally :-[

Sourced a new final drive from Stasch after braking a bolt off that I was unable to remove!

All painted up and ready to install...

Stay with her bro.  You're doing fine.  Time is a relevant thing.  I've been on mine too long too... or is that tutu?  :beerchug:
Stay the course. Steady as she goes.