• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Connies are not creek crossers

smooth_operator

I have to cross a small creek to get to my cabin. it's a crappy sandy creek bed. About one out of three crossings I get stuck and have to either inch her out real slow or get off the bike and dig out some sand and rocks from underneth the pipes if i bury her real good. On this crossing I kept my feet on the pegs as I was sick of getting my shoes, socks and pants wet. Well that wasn't a good idea.

You know how a lot of CDA stories say the bike fell over in slow motion? That wasn't my case. In an instant I was lying in the creek. AAUUUGGGHHH! At least I didn't wrench my back out trying to pick it up like a bicycle. The butt to seat and lift on the handlebar and grab rail method worked quite well. Tried digging and inching my way out to no avail. Luckily my wife was behind me with the truck. Just for kicks I asked her to to push on the bars with me while I tried to inch my way out. My wife must be stronger than I thought because it popped right out on the first try!!

Damage report was minimal with a couple of scratches (guess that sand is good for something!). Nothing broken except my foolish ego.

Man, I gotta build a bridge. ;D

And what's back in my garage? You guessed it! Canyon Cages that I've had for over a year but "just haven't got around to" installing.  What an Igit, What a Maroon!  Oh well, could have been a lot worse right? :great: :beerchug:

At least those Canyon Cages stayed nice and clean sitting in their box on a shelf in the garage... sigh.  Rather than a bridge, you might consider putting lattice pavers in the creek bed.  Lay them four or five wide right in the center.  They won't significantly interfere with water flow and will give you a lot firmer surface to ride over.  As time goes by the sand will fill in the open spaces and you won't even see them.

68023bae8ed97eca0b2d4d49d58c4deb.jpg

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 553nd recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0549 C14 Joseph Gionet
0550 C14 Richard Riczinger
0551 C14 Jim Cowles
0552 C10 Patrick McCormick
0553 C14 Michael Stevens

ChipDoc said:
At least those Canyon Cages stayed nice and clean sitting in their box on a shelf in the garage... sigh.  Rather than a bridge, you might consider putting lattice pavers in the creek bed.  Lay them four or five wide right in the center.  They won't significantly interfere with water flow and will give you a lot firmer surface to ride over.  As time goes by the sand will fill in the open spaces and you won't even see them.

68023bae8ed97eca0b2d4d49d58c4deb.jpg

And so it has now become my sad duty to confirm you as the 553nd recipient of the uncoveted Connie Droppers Anonymous Award.  You have yet another tale to share around a Rally campfire.  My sincerest condolences!

The five most recent unfortunates:
0549 C14 Joseph Gionet
0550 C14 Richard Riczinger
0551 C14 Jim Cowles
0552 C10 Patrick McCormick
0553 C14 Michael Stevens

Nice idea ChipDoc! I'll look into them.  Thanks!

You need to get rid of that pig C14 and get a C10.  :D

Attachments

• jlayman.jpg
    jlayman.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 141
The 18" front tire is  better in the sand and dirt than the C14's 17 inch tire but no way could I call a C14 a pig compared to a C10, in fact it is the other way around.
Just saying.  You need those tip over bars  installed right away because next time it will be worse and good  quality waterproof boots like Cruiserworks boots.