• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Contemplating a new Connie

TuxRocket

Big Wheel
Friends, I am a 57 year old man happily married to a 1980 bmw. She is reliable, she is proven, she is resposonsible and loyal, and she is, weeeeeeel, a 1980 BMW. Of late, I have been contmplating a --ahem-- 'relationship' on the weekends, with a Kawasaki, either a 2008,o9,or10. Here is my dillemma. They all look and sound GREAT compared to what I have at home. Every time I settle on one, the next on is prettier, but more expensive. There are a lot of new and new/used 08 09 modelds out there under 10K. Questions: Is the often mentioned Heat problem significant in the 08-09? ABS optional or a must, in your opinion? 2010 has ABS Traction control, and high-zoot braking. Have you tried it? Needed? 2010 Has the new bodywork dialed out the heat problem to any degree? Mileage: What kind of mileage do you get on any of these bkes, when ridden in anmore sedate style? Are the planned mapping improvemts 15-20 REAL, or is this what you could get by driving gently? Many thanks for your comments. Please dont tell my Beemer.
Text

I can tell you that the reduction in heat on the 2010 is indeed significant as is the new mirror position and taller windscreen and better tires. Though it is easy to add a better windshield and tires to a 08/09. Jury is still out on the linked brakes and traction control and what real benefits they offer. I need more miles on it before I will be ready to comment how I effective it is and if I like it. (Stay tuned for a follow up article in the next Concourier magazine). The improvements in gas mileage when put in the Economy mode are real, but again, I need more time to do testing before I am ready to put down a number as to how much the increase is in real life. My "guess" is that it it around 7%-10%. However, there are some drawbacks to the 2010 with regard to modifying them and "pulling the flies" to get more low end torque like folks did on the 2008/2009 bikes. Doing this to a 2010 bike will have unknown consequences on the operation of the traction control system. You also loose the center glove box on the 2010, but are still left with a large plastic panel where it used to be. The new glove box locks and unlocks electronically, but can't be opened when moving. Every day, I am finding more and more small changes that have been incorporated on the 2010 bike under the bodywork. None of them are earthshaking, but it is obvious that the changes are more than just skin deep. I suspect there are more that we may never know about deeper in the mechanicals.

I have a new 2008 with ABS. the bike is great super smooth, handles well, tons of power.I do not feel troubled by the heat issue but then again I purchased my bike this fall and have not ridden in really hot weather. Had a few issues all handled under warrenty with no questions asked.I got the 2008 because I got a great deal on it. Made waiting for 2010 or getting 2009 not worth it for me.I will probably change the windshield to a bit larger next season when I start doing more millage.I don't ride aggressivly enough to feel the tires are inadaquit . The ABS has only come on once when stopping hard on steep downhill in the rain. Worked well. This is the first bike in 35 years of motorcycling I have had with ABS. Get one you will love it!!!!!

I just bought a '08 C14 with <3000 miles on it, mainly because I got a very nice deal. My initial observations are that the bike is incredibly smooth and fast, has more power that I know what to do with, and is a great overall ride. If you buy an '08/'09, you need good knees (mine are not), a higher gas budget (the bike only gets around 40), and to be ready to do quite a few mods/farkels. Windshield, risers, peg lowerers, heated grips, seat, tires, etc. all add up to a lot of expensive stuff. I don't know how much of this the 10 model will solve, but either way you are going to spend some $ making the bike fit you. The heat issue doesn't seem that big a deal to me, and the gas tank is no big deal, as I need to get off the bike after a couple hundred miles anyways. I would highly recommend the bike as a real fun "hot rod", but one that you will need to spend some $ on to make it fit. I hope this helps. Ride safe... Dave

Questions: Is the often mentioned Heat problem significant in the 08-09? No ABS optional or a must, in your opinion? No 2010 has ABS Traction control, and high-zoot braking. Have you tried it? Needed? No & No 2010 Has the new bodywork dialed out the heat problem to any degree? So they say... Mileage: What kind of mileage do you get on any of these bkes, when ridden in anmore sedate style? Are the planned mapping improvemts 15-20 REAL, or is this what you could get by driving gently? I get 41 mpg no matter how I ride it. UP

Hi You need to read the latest concorier as it has lots of info on the 2010. I really getting thr bug to replace my 1986 connie every time i read more about the bike. Gas millage is a big issue with me as I ride 50, klm / 30k miles a year as a average. You'll never know where I'll be or when I'll be their as i'm riding in the wind.

Here's my take. I have a Red 09 ABS. I took a 3317 miles trip this last summer. I averaged 42.7 MPG running above most Highway speeds. It seemed everytime I looked at the speedo I was at 95 and would have to slow back down. Heat....it was in Augest and out west, with a heat wave except for Gunnison CO which allowed morning frost on the seat. The next two days as I went towards home in Eastern Washington were very hot. I ride with lined boots and my riding pants are long enough to cover the tops of the boots when I'm in the saddle. Heat of the day was the problem, not the bike. By the way we are about the same age. The C-14 continues to put a big "O" smile on my face. :)

The ride to work is 100 mi, 160klm each way 3 days a week I usually have two after dinner rides a week about 100 mi each plus weekend rides and my outn abouts ie going to boston for a tech day via richmond va from Ontario I never go some place in a straight line Bar harbor rally 1400klm 16 hours straight ride through each way so it adds up kinda fast You'll never know where I'll be or when I'll be their as i'm riding in the wind.

Questions: [Is the often mentioned Heat problem significant in the 08-09? ABS optional or a must, in your opinion?] IMO yes it is. But that's up to each individual. The ABS literally saved my life from a head on collision or jagged rock cliff. So yes without a doubt, to me, they are a must (if available on the bike). On the C14 the answer is definitely a yes for me! [2010 has ABS Traction control, and high-zoot braking. Have you tried it? Needed? ] I haven't ridden the 2010, but it has gotten good reviews. I'm a little Leary of the linked brakes because I like to trail brake when I play. But others have told me that on the lower setting the linked brakes doesn't seem noticable when trail braking. But in a normal panic situation. The linked "could" possible be better. The jury is still out on that one. [2010 Has the new bodywork dialed out the heat problem to any degree?] From what I've read and Fred Harmon has said, yes. [Mileage: What kind of mileage do you get on any of these bkes, when ridden in anmore sedate style? Are the planned mapping improvemts 15-20 REAL, or is this what you could get by driving gently?] I get anywhere from 35 to 45 depending on how I ride. Obviously being easy at a reasonable speed (aka the speed limit) you could do as good or better. But if I play the mileage definitely comes down. Hope this helps somewhat. Bob Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

I'm not sure the 2010s are out yet, but I'm totally happy with my 2008. No problems, and the heat isn't an issue for me. I've only had the ABS kick in a few times when trying to stop quickly on a loose surface, and I really appreciated it. In my opinion, I think the ABS is worth the extra cost, and would be beneficial in a resell situation since more and more bikes will come with it standard down the road. I have a Power Commander V on my bike and I'm getting 43-44 mpg without using the secondary map option for fuel economy. Good luck Dan

Fred already took delivery on his 2010. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

Hi Folks,same here,contemplating a new C-14.Presently recuperating from a run-in with a 1 ton p/u,so will be able to study my situation for 3 non-weightbearing months.Had a nice bmwf800st (a 07 then the ill-fated 09)Am 60 yrs old and have been thinking of a bmw 1200rt.as my sport-tourer.But after reading (be thankful for forums)about this kawi c-14 I'm all but sold.The great question for me is what you folks feel about the riding position.It wasn't bad with the f800 but really still too much forward lean for me.Wrists seemed to always take a beating.Had bar rises on it also.Since I can barely throw a leg over a toilet never mind a bike for the next 3 months and before I get too excited about reading about this bike,and having had 3 sportsters in the "sit back" position,what's the general consensus?Is this a lean forward,rest the left hand on the knee rocket or a reasonable upright position when on the highway.Sounds like I would love this bike but I know that a forward lean would sour our relationship.If convenient any thoughts would be greatly be appreciated. charlie

I would say that the riding position is slightly forward. I myself installed a set of bar risers on mine. That made the riding position a little more upright yet. It of course is different with each person, but I find the highway riding fine. I actually have more of a problem with not being able to stretch my legs out on the highway. I let them hang sometimes to stretch out my legs. My other bike is a sit back cruiser. The bikes are totally different in their own way. But they both have their drawbacks as well as their positives. But to answer your question: Yes the C14 is upright enough for comfortable cruising. And risers can make it even better. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak

A year and 10,000km into my '08 model and I'm still extremely pleased with it. The weather is hot in the Middle East all year round, and whilst the motor does throw heat out, I've not found it a problem on my legs, encased in boots and Draggin' Jeans. Anyone who rides in trainers and shorts may have more of a heat issue... I like the ABS, but it's only ever activated once on some loose gravel at a junction. Did it prevent a spill? Probably not, but I'd rather have ABS than not. I've not tried the '10 and traction control, but the bike does produce enough torque to spin the rear wheel when accelerating across greasy junctions once the lights go green. I would have liked to have traction control. The 'economy' map strikes me as a good idea for extending range. I think 22 litres is too small a tank on a tourer. The old C10 had over 28 litres. My C14 generally runs on to reserve at about 300km, at which point there's a further 60km before I'm walking. A lockable glove box also seems a good idea, as does the handlebar-mounted switch to scroll through the multi-function display. These features are missing from the '08-'09. I also hear that the new, higher mirrors are better. Kawasaki supplies the optional tall screen on the '10 as standard. Do I think the '10 is a better machine? Yes. Would I change my '08 to upgrade? No. The '08 is good enough.

I have an '09 non-abs in Black. Although some have complained about the heat issue, I have none with mine. I live in Atlanta and have been through the summer (14000 miles since Feb 09). The riding position for the knees is a bit tucked (6'2", 34 inseam, 215lbs) but not an issue. Stock seat, while good for a stock seat, most replace it. When new, it pushes you forward toward the tank. Mine broke in fairly well. A radiator guard is a must, I had 3 large dings in my radiator in the first 3 weeks, luckily none punctured it. Projekt D has the most expensive one, but I think it looks the best. 2 minutes to install. Even the "tall" windscreen is way too short for touring. I have long arms and I lean just a bit on my wrists, but I can lean back and cruise with one hand on the throttle very comfortably. I agree with the above post, although the '10 has some nifty features, getting rid of my '09 is unthinkable. AreaP Full exhaust, carbon fiber can, flies out, PC-V, BMC air filter, PR2s, Projekt D radiator guard, VStream windscreen, Murphs grips, Phils luggage rack, Givi V46 with AdMore Lighting kit, Nuvi 255W (no mounting kit yet).