• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Coolant manifold help

meemuh

Anybody have any tips on successfully installing the 4 inlet coolant manifold on the front side of the engine. I put everything back together on my 2000 tonight...the o-rings held until about 30 seconds after I shut it down...then the two left rings (petcock side) blew out...spraying coolant all over. I'm sure it's just a matter of how they were installed... I could really use some ideas - so I don't have to do this a dozen more times... Thanks

Sure #1 you MUST use new o-rings these suckers take a lot of grief. #2 clean the port that the manifold plugs into with scotch-bright or 400grit emery paper. #3 Clean well the manifold again with 400 grit to make sure its not pitted or rusted. Consider a light spray with black enamel #4 lightly grease the o-rings, and the head ports with grease and install the o-rings on the manifold #5 gently push the manifold into place the lube of the grease makes it easier and less likely to pop the o-ring out of the grove. Push it in parallel not all one side in first #6 make sure the manifold snugs up to the block and then install the 2 small screws and snug them down. #7 have a beer or a cup-o-tea The used o-rings are totally flattened out and elliptical in profile, where as new ones are round. Hence if you try to re-use them they will fail. I have tried using generic o-rings from Harbor Freight but they failed. So now I buy the pucker ones from Kawasaki as for 30Cents each its not worth messing about.

Is it possible to do without remove the exhaust? Space is a little tight behind the header....but, geez.... I'm afraid I know the answer...

Is it possible to do without remove the exhaust?
Umm... good question. I'm 95% certain its not possible. If you are going to order up the o-rings, your best to order up the copper exhaust washers as they flatten on use, and the chances are they will leak if you re-use them. I have reused them in the past, sometimes they work other times not. As its a real PITA to replace them better to buy new and save the risk of the exhaust leaking.

Actually - I did manage to remove and re-install the manifold w/ the exhaust still on...but it sucked. I invented new words - and the rings blew out. Just can't get a good, straight on push on the manifold on - I guess. Ordering rings, copper washers, etc. this afternoon...oh - the joys of being too cheap to pay somebody to fix it for me.