• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Coolant odor

ghabel

The other day I noticed a slight odor of coolant. I looked around for leaks but nothing. Stuck my head all over the bike to try to smell where it was coming from. Then I noticed I always smell it from the rear of the bike. Took a whiff of the right exhaust and that is where it is coming from. Have I developed an internal engine coolant leak where I'm burning coolant? Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Greg, It's possible that it's a head gasket leak but that is most likely the worst case scenario. You don't mention how many miles are on the bike, but I would look in two areas first. It's hard to exactly pinpoint a smell but here is my two cents worth of advice. The first place I would look is by the left side rider's footpeg. Is there any kind of oily buildup by the frame or clutch cylinder there? If you water pump is starting to go, the seal will leak and there is a weep hole where either engine oil, antifreeze or possibly both will drip onto the exhaust and create the smell of oil and/or antifreeze. Secondly I would look at all the cooling system components, such as hoses, radiator, etc. You can also just start the bike and let it idle and get hot and see if you can identify the source that way. Let us know what you find out. Davi David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

With a flashlight and from the rear brake side of the bike, look below the carbs towards the back of the cylinder block. Check from the other side as well. If you see a whitish driplike residue along the back of it: thermostat housing o-ring. You can also see along the 4 coolant tubes, hoses and "stuff". The thermostat o-ring is a common problem, as the o-ring usually turns to mush and any bump to that area will start a drippin. Those can be checked without pulling much off. With the tank off, check the hose running from the radiator cap to the thermostat housing. Check the overflow tank and it's hoses. One comes from upon high (radiator cap) and the other runs the length of the bike from the coolant overflow tank usually to the back about where the rear brake caliper is. The rear hose breathes when the tank fills/empties. Hopefully that's what you're smellin. If it's coming from the pipe, a leakdown/pressure test might be in order. http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png

Do you know anyone that has a pressure tester will fit the ZG1000 radiator? You shouldn't have to put more than 10 psi on the cooling system to get it too leak. More than likely you have a loose clamp that needs to be tightened or a small hole near the clamp. Let us know what you find.

You mentioned the smell was coming from the right side by the muffler. The overflow hose from the rad. overflow tank runs out along the right side of the swingarm. the end is right at the rear axle. Could be that is where your smell is coming from? If you are running hot, on shutdown sometimes you will get steam venting out that hose. I just had my fan switch go out and when the needle was about 3/4 way on the gauge (not close to the red yet) I shut her down and had steam venting from that hose. HTH

How about a leak down test added to the list of good ideas above then look for bubbles is the coolant system? Crack in the water jacket or head gasket leak.

i got a pressure tester from sears a few years ago. it was a little pricey i think it was 70 bucks but it's got all kinds of adapters and i haven't found a cooling system that i wasn't able to check. i must say i've been looking at that overflow hose coming out the back since i got the bike and i don't like it there but i haven't found a better place for it yet. the thought of antifreeze spewing out that hose next to the rear tire is a little un nerving for me. i hope that's all your smellin and it's an easy fix. good luck.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The bike (99) has almost 30,000 on it now (owned it since 8,200). The odor seemed to be coming from the right can and oddly not the left. Oddly because the exhaust mixes with the crossover right? Hoping it is just that vent/overflow you guys mentioned. Will check when I get home from my ride from work. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z