• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cooling Vests

rmiller511

Street Cruiser
Anyone own/use one?  I'm tired of cooking like a potato in this heat some I have been looking into them.  Problem being is that there is an ocean of them on ebay, of every type, style and description and with a wide price range.  Also, ebay sucks  in as much as they do not accommodate user reviews so I thought that I would check here.

HA!  this is where us northerns get to get even for all those "winter storage" comments by saying "we embrace the heat because in 6 months we will be sooooo cold" LOL

works4me said:
Try Amazon.  Should be about a bazillion reviews.

I tried amazon, but there is only about a 10th of the selection there, and doesn't have any of the ones that caught my eye.

About the north/south thing....you take the good with the bad.  While you dudes were collecting dusty spider webs, I was out washing, waxing and riding my bike in shorts....so, there is always that.

I saw a BMW at Cortez with a personal AC unit on the seat...however...$1500 is a little spendy for me...so, I found this instead...haven't purchased it yet...but, I kinda like the looks of it...

http://www.veskimo.com/

Those water soaked vests work OK...for a short period of time...but, they require airflow to cool the hot outside air...so, they work best with a mesh jacket...or, a jacket with perforations, or huge vents...and, they still soak you and your clothing...but, if you don't mind that aspect...they are tough to beat!

The veskimo looks awesome, until you see the 866.00 price tag. Then, the heat doesn't seem so bad after all. What was I thinking?

Depending on what kind of riding, or how long you plan on being on the cycle, Cycle Gear has base layer stuff called Heat Out that is easily the best hot weather deterrent that I have ever found.  And it is extremely inexpensive. 

They feel like a cross between long johns and a scuba suit; not particularly easy to get on.  However, when used with mesh gear, the cooling capability is unreal.  The first time I tried them, it was 97° out.  Riding along with the Heat Out gear on, it felt like mid 80's.  That is a huge difference. 

The reason I mentioned the type or duration of riding, is because Heat Out only works its magic when your moving.  So if you're not going for very long, for me it isn't worth the effort to get into it.  Also, if you're doing a lot of in town, light to light, stop and go... you won't be moving enough air to maximize its abilities.  That first day in the 97° weather, I put on about 150 miles and returned home not feeling like a wrung out dish rag.  I got my top and bottoms for a combined $38.  Can't beat the price.

Someone mentioned that water soaked vests work okay for a while; the Heat Out gear works as long as you're riding.

I carry a small cooler with water bottles and pour them on me now and then. doesnt take long to dry out though in this heat . I get ice and water refills at convienence stores , usually free .

Old Man on a Connie said:
The best stuff I've used so far. Wear my Stich year round. 105 today. http://www.ldcomfort.com/pdf/LDComfortOnePage2013.pdf Use the Cycle gear vest too but if your in humid air it's useless. No evap to cool.

That actually looks intriguing.  Some  others I found that caught my interest on ebay are:

phase change technology

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181809732924?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is an industrial quality ice pack vest

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201393311557?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

and with this vest, you get the best of both worlds - phase change and evaporavative  technologies

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Techniche-Hybrid-Elite-Sport-Cooling-Vest-Blue-Medium-MD-4531BLM/311400101020?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29981%26meid%3D8c97bfb8a6d84fff934b39fca46ea12a%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271826895933

The  nice thing about the ice pack vests is that you can put the warmer packs in them for the winter months.  I have looked at the cycle gear heat out line and I have to tell you I just cannot mentally come to terms with putting on more clothes in this arid 98 degree, 100% humidity climate.  Would take a gun to my head, I think.  Nope.  Ice packs sound just fine to me.  I'm not counting on evaporative ANYTHING.

I went to Lowes today to buy some SS bolts for the bike and in the short time I was in the store, the bike heated up to the point I could not touch the tank.  How it does not explode into a fireball is beyond me - a mystery to my mind.

I will say this much - I stay cool now because I took off my left side compartment panel and use it as a size LARGE icee holder, and I have yet to pay for one.  The clerks give them to me free.  I mean, they are only 1.19 so I don't mind paying for them, but how nice of them.

Not related but Rick, your posts are horizontally challenged. All your words go off to the right really far and we need to scroll right and back left. :truce:

Rick is cool :great: :great: :great:

Is there no end to what one can buy for one's beloved connie?! I'm thinking of taking up scuba diving to beat the heat!

BTW, I don't know if it's been said yet, and I can't help myself, but......

ACISROC is coooool.      :great: :great: :great:     

AriBklyn,
                  Of all the thousands of members in COG, I am guessing I got at least 3 ACISROC is cools. That is pretty good for my personality type, I have only been a full member for 6 months. And the one I got from Charlie Gary ( who spelled my name ASISROC) should count for 1000 so let's say I got 1003. :rotflmao:

AriBklyn is cool :great: :great: :great:

ACISROC said:
  Not related but Rick, your posts are horizontally challenged. All your words go off to the right really far and we need to scroll right and back left. :truce:

Rick is cool :great: :great: :great:

hhhmmm.  dont really understand that.  I am using the built in post editor via firefox.

Guess I will have to write shorter sentences, or limit myself to 1, 2 and 3 character words...dunno????

Rick
It is like the words go way past the grey colored borders on the screen and I get a bar at the bottom of the page to move over to the right to read your sentences. Nobody else that posts has that problem. It does the same on my P.C. as on my MAC but only for your posts.  I can count the character spaces for you. I think your Margins are set too wide?

It goes past 87 characters wide and then goes to 95 in the white and then off the page. Maybe press enter after 87 characters?  :great: Or tell me to get some new computers? :rotflmao:

Not sure, but I think the scroll problem is caused by the links. Sometimes they do it and sometime they don't.

One of those days, I guess.

Looking at this edit box,  there are not settings to adjust aside from color and font.

I will stick to shorter sentences just to be safe.

Thanks for the help.

2linby said:

I ruled out any of  the vests that rely on evaporation because of the constant high humidity down here in the south.  We are below sea level and the moisture in the air is  murderous.  Always in the 90s (percent).  I doubt a evaporative style vest will perform well here.  Instead, I went with a jacket that uses frozen inserts instead.  There are a couple of advantages here:

1) can be used with cold or hot packs - summer / winter

2) does not have to be worn next to the skin.  You can wear it over a shirt

3) looks like some kind of sportsman vest, like for fly fishing or something.  Wont look like rocket man going into walmart or elsewhere.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121710113511?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I will write a review on it once I've used it long enough to make a fair assessment.

Thanks for the input, though.

Jwh360 said:
I picked one up at Cycle Gear last year.  It works great out here in the SoCal desert. 

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest

+1 ^^^  Bought this one for the summer heat in Sacramento.  Works great.  The seams on mine stay a little damp and that gets on my shirt a bit but if it's hot enough that drys fairly quick and I'm left with the cooling power of the vest while the rest of me stays dry.  I continue to remind my self that hot is hot no matter what but this certainly helps.  Good luck to you.

E in NorCal said:
Jwh360 said:
I picked one up at Cycle Gear last year.  It works great out here in the SoCal desert. 

http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Cooling-Waterproof-Vest

+1 ^^^  Bought this one for the summer heat in Sacramento.  Works great.  The seams on mine stay a little damp and that gets on my shirt a bit but if it's hot enough that drys fairly quick and I'm left with the cooling power of the vest while the rest of me stays dry.  I continue to remind my self that hot is hot no matter what but this certainly helps.  Good luck to you.

Thanks.  I will let everyone know how it works out.

Got my vest in today so as promised, here is a write up on my first impressions.

I like it.  A LOT.

Looks like something right out of L.L. Bean.  Great quality and design.  May want to wear it WITHOUT the packs, even (has like 12 pockets).

kool_max_example_zpsriq3wg5s.jpg

I got mine off ebay for $66 in an auction that  started out at $55.  Add another $8 for shipping.  FAST shipping, so I don't mind.  I see the same vest on amazon for $120.

The model name is 'Kool Max' by Polar Products (http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=14). 

And these are the fine, honest, hard working americans who made it for me (thanks.  there will be a little something extra in your envelope this week).

polarstaff_2013_web_zpsvx87dzdh.jpg

Incidentally, it is a family owned and operated business, and in my book, that goes a long way.  No chinese, vietnamese (yeah, i'm still a little sore with them), taiwanese or (thank god) indian (as in India) operated help desk.

According to their 'about us' page, they have been around for 25 years, so I am hoping that has been enough time to get it right, and at the moment, I believe they did.

The vest is available in a variety of colors and I opted for the  khaki (looks great).  Basically, this is an ice powered flack jacket.  Has a back, two front panels and no sides.  With the packs installed, I am certain it will stop a .38, should you live in a low rent district and are subject to drive-bys.  Use kevlar inserts and it's probably good for a Desert Eagle, even.  Just my theory, though.  If anyone finds out for real, let me know, and if I don't hear from you....oh well.  Guess I was wrong.

Like a flack jacket, this thing has 2 massive velcro straps that cross over the shoulder holding the front and back in place.  As well, there are 2 industrial strength velcro straps connecting the back to each front panel (2 per side for a total of 4).  All straps are generously long to allow for a wide range of fit adjustments, which is why this one is designated as a size L/XL.  It basically covers those two sizes, and quite nicely.  Again, quality everywhere and well thought out design.

My vest did not come with the ice bricks (Polar Products 1B6 - 6 oz), but they were cheap enough.  The vest holds 12 packs and $17 on ebay will buy you 48 of them (.35 each).  The bricks, naturally, are the reusable gel type and PP assures me they are leak proof.  We will see.

At first I stuck the bricks in the freezer door and 6 hours later, showed no signs of hardening, BUT, once relocated to the top rear shelf, they froze up nicely in about 3-4 hours.  Installation is quick and easy.  There are 12 special lined pockets the bricks fit in and are held closed by velcro.  I will probably leave the bricks in the pockets and simply place the entire vest in the freezer, making it ready to go at a moment's notice.

Wearing the vest alone is a very comfortable experience and the infinitely adjustable straps make for a spot on perfect fit - no matter what your shape.  Except for the slight snugness (depending on how you adjust it), the vest is completely forgettable.  It is that comfortable and form fitting.  This changes (of course) once the bricks are put in place and the weight factor kicks in.  Make no mistake, it is heavy, but not to any discerning degree.  In fact, it is only slightly heavier than wearing my Hypertex jacket (thanks Doug), but then, the Hypertex is a heavy jacket. 

The vest is designed to work either way: over clothing or against bare skin.  In either case, first contact with the packs is a real attention getter.  This thing is cold.  We are talking  FREEZER cold here and your first moments with the vest secured in place will be uncomfortable, but the discomfort is very brief and soon gone entirely as the temperature of your body core is adjusted.  Once acclimated, you soon realize the incredible benefit of your $91 investment.  This thing is as close to a personal air conditioner as you are likely to find (at least within the under $150 price range).  FORGET cool, this beast is COLD....just like I like it.  The packs are approx. 4"x6"x3/4" and in their 'fresh from the freezer' state, are rigid and feel like wood blocks against your skin.  COLD blocks.  But this is a very temporary state and in almost no time, they limber up and start to conform to your exact shape.  And this is where things get a little voodoo.

This vest can be either uncomfortably cold or dead-to-rights perfect with nothing more than a simple adjustment of the straps.  It all depends on the snugness of the fit. If the vest is too cold, you can loosen  the side straps and increase the distance of the packs in relation to your skin.  Likewise, you can put the vest in artic mode simply by increasing the snugness, and that is about as close to a thermostat as you get with this product.

The Tire Meets The Road

Right now, the weather here in southern Louisiana is murderous - mid to upper 90's on both the temperature and humidity (we are below sea level).  The humidity is the reason I did not choose a vest that uses evaporative technology.  It's hard for water to dissipate into air that is already saturated.  This was not an uniformed purchase and I spent the requisite time reading post after post after review after article about how the evaporative vests 'really help' or 'take the edge off' the heat.  Not so with the Kool Max.  Instead, you are comfortable.  Very much so.  At this point in my life (57), I have a real disdain for the sweltering, insufferable heat and if I can avoid it at all, I will, and that is ashame - to live right on the beautiful cypress rich bayou only to watch it all from the comfort of a living room window in the air conditioning.  I miss out on too much during the summer in an effort to avoid the heat.  Don't get me wrong, I will jump on my bike at the drop of a hat no matter what time of day it is to run errands, but I usually wait until around 6:00 to hop on the bike to do some pleasure riding.  Needless to say, the heat very much affects my enjoyment of riding.

No more.

In short, the vest works the way I had hoped.  Heat is still a factor, however, since you feel the burning rays on your exposed arms and face, but it is a inconsequential factor.  You remain nice and comfortable in this vest.  For how long?  I don't know yet.  I ran errands yesterday during the worse part of the day for a little more than an hour and remained comfortable.  I have not tested it for endurance.  Not yet, but my guess is that the cold phase will last approx. 2 hours, afterwhich, the vest will probably continue to keep me comfortable for another hour or so.  After that, it will probably be time to open the igloo cooler and replace the packs.

Given the varied nature of people, this type of vest is not going to be for everyone so it is not an end-all solution, but for me....I am a satisfied customer.

Pros

1. The vest is cold, not merely 'comfortable'.
2. Can double as a heater during the winter by using hot packs instead.
3. Is impervious to high humidity
4. Is rechargable by replacing the ice bricks with fresh ones.
5. Easily machine washable.
6. You have the option of wearing it over or under clothing.
7. Great for so much more than riding:  yard work, jogging, etc.
8. Very comfortable and form fitting.
9. Doubles as a fly fisherman vest?  Dunno.  I don't fish, but looks like it could.

Cons

The only one I can think to mention is that the interior of the vest does get wet from pack condensation, and in turn, wets your skin (or shirt, depending on how you use it).  For me, this is not a problem but may be for others.

Actual Pics

20150729_195421_zpsi8c8wfsk.jpg

20150729_195455_zpsrrn92vin.jpg

20150729_195512_zpswif0kzxb.jpg

20150729_195358_zpscm0eyvgg.jpg

20150729_195414_zpsukz9yseh.jpg

20150729_195258_zpsdk4g63u5.jpg

20150729_195644_zps7p623xox.jpg

:great:

Nice write up!!  The only thing missing was the stars and stripes waving in the background.  Makes me want to go buy one from them now!

I personally steered clear of the ice packs and went with the phase change packs that keep at a constant 58 degrees because ice on skin sounds a little extreme for me.  (Try explaining getting frostbite to the doctor in 100 degree heat! ;-)  )  I was thinking about picking up one of the neck wraps and think I'll get it from these folks instead of where I got my vest from.

Thanks!

Day 2:

Heat?  What heat?

I was right in my estimations regarding length of time the vest is effective - 2 hours of mobile refrigeration.  Another hour or so of comfortable riding.

I give it 5 stars.

Side note:  the  jacket does get wet, and so does your shirt, but this only increases the cooling effect once the ice has turned to cold/cool water.  I never once became uncomfortable in the 3 hour period I wore it.