• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Corbin seat, Good ? Bad? yes ? no?

amoray

I know this has probably been beatin to death, I'm thinking about getting the corbin for my C-14 but before i throughdown a chunck of cash I was hopeing to get REAL IMPUT from anyone who has the seat, heated would be nice but is it really worth the cash?
And how hard is the Seat really? I now have the sheepskin over a some what modifed stock seat, it's ok but not really what i am looking for.
  So If you would... Whats your opinion... good ,bad, yes, no...?

Thanks.....

The heated Corbin with a sheep skin was the ticket for me. Yes Corbin's need time to break in. The more you ride without the sheep skin to break it in, the better. But the Corbin is roomy and comfortable (but firm). So with the sheep skin, it's just soft enough. Then on your first cold or rainy morning. You'll think the money you spent on the heated option is worth every penny.
The key to the heated seat is to only leave it on until your warm, then turn it off. It will stay warm for a while. If you start to get cool, turn it back on for a little bit. Not as easy as the Sargent thermostat controller. But much easier to wire since it's less complicated. And it's all in the Corbin seat, rather than wires and controllers running through the bike.

PM me.  If we're close, I'll let you 'demo' Cap'n Bob's Corbin.  I like it way better than the stocker or the Sargent I tried but probably going to a tractor seat type for LD type riding next year. ;D

So what is the consensus on the best aftermarket seat? Is it the Corbin? I just did a 1K trip on my 2010 and my but was killing me so much I had to pull over every hour or so. I like the idea of the Corbin and Snuggler, but Sargent makes a little rear box too as well. Heated doesn't appeal to me a lot so that's not a biggie.

Got my Corbin last week and went on two rides already, about 175 mi each. The differance is dramatic! I love it, about 3 hours in the seat each time and it felt great compared to 1 hour with stock seat and i was ready to stop. If anyone wants a new 2010 stock seat cheap? hit me up. By the way I had Corbin do a deep dish cut, so it is even thinner in the seat pan. Looks great too!
:beerchug:

I love my Corbin seat, and have since day 1, I have many farkles and this is at the top of my favorites list.

Yes, the heat option is well worth it IMO, I ride in the winter too even when the temp is in the 20's as long as it's dry.

The removable backrest is awesome, mama loves it!

:13:

I discovered a guy selling a brand new sargant w/painted pod for under $600. Not sure if I should go for it or just use that money towards a corbin.

Unfortunately, I can't sit on it as it's a few hours away.

Thoughts?

ZG said:
I love my Corbin seat, and have since day 1, I have many farkles and this is at the top of my favorites list.

Yes, the heat option is well worth it IMO, I ride in the winter too even when the temp is in the 20's as long as it's dry.

ZG,
What do you think about them cold rides? Last winter on a Suzuki C50T cruiser I was able to ride all the way down to 15 degrees with a bit of pain without heat.  Now with the C14 I think it will be much more bearable due to the heated grips and the slipstream. That C50T even with the windshield put a lot of wind on the rider.

(Sorry for hijacking the topic).

ACR_SCOUT said:
ZG said:

ZG,
What do you think about them cold rides?
Last winter on a Suzuki C50T cruiser I was able to ride all the way down to 15 degrees with a bit of pain without heat.  Now with the C14 I think it will be much more bearable due to the heated grips and the slipstream. That C50T even with the windshield put a lot of wind on the rider.

(Sorry for hijacking the topic).

I love winter riding now, heated seat, heated grips, and ProjektD aerowings, all good!  :great:

Got my Corbin put on last week. Have just over 1,000 miles on it now (mostly on twisties) and I really like it. It feels pretty hard at first but seems to settle in pretty quickly. My only complaint is that I tend to sit just a tad further back than I did on the stock seat. That changes my forward lean a little and adds to my wrist pain and finger numbness issues. I'm thinking on adding a set of wedges, but really don't see getting risers at all.

All in all, very glad I purchased the Corbin. Haven't had a need to try out the heat yet, but I'm sure that will come some day, even here in north Texas.

Overlord,

I'm in the Bronx if you're close by I can let you try it out.  It's real hard and after an hour my but is killing me.  I've used a gel pad and an Air Hawk and it's the only way I can ride LD.

Gigantor said:
Overlord,

I'm in the Bronx if you're close by I can let you try it out.  It's real hard and after an hour my but is killing me.  I've used a gel pad and an Air Hawk and it's the only way I can ride LD.

That's not fair. Your asking way more out of your Corbin, than the average seat should have to endure!!!    :))

[[/quote]

That's not fair. Your asking way more out of your Corbin, than the average seat should have to endure!!!    :))
[/quote]

What do you mean?    ???  They say the Corbin needs time to mold itself to your butt.  My butt should have molded it way faster than anyones and it's still uncomfortable.  I think I need to find a way to mount springs or shock absorbers under my seat.

Gigantor said:

[/quote]

What do you mean?    ???  They say the Corbin needs time to mold itself to your butt.  My butt should have molded it way faster than anyones and it's still uncomfortable.  I think I need to find a way to mount springs or shock absorbers under my seat.
[/quote]

Isn't that what's in a Russell Day-Long? (I think that's what they're called.)

The day-long has an option for a "Heavy duty spring" as they call it.

I am considering a Corbin myself at this time, i have the Seargant and it's ok for 300 miles or so but it does make my butt sore,  I got the day-long for the long slab days, but it tends to shove me too far forward (however my butt never complains on it)  I am thinking a Corbin with either an airhawk or a sheepskin will be the happy medium for me..and i do like the idea of the Smuggler even though it's spendy

I found the OEM seat absolutely killed my butt on a 1200KMs ride when I bought the bike. The previous owner put in some risers which I took out and then took a 5 hour ride. Interestingly, my butt wasn't nearly as sore. The lower bars changed the geometry enough to take some weight off my butt. I'm still going to order a corbin/snuggler, but I did find the risers kind of counter productive in that regard.