• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Corbin Seat is it worth it?

ceerider

Tricycle
Just wanted to know from other riders views who owned a Corbin seat.  Would you recommend it to other riders?   

Thanks!

Ride safe.

Is this on a C-10 or a C-14?

I have an older Corbin on my C-10.
Firm, but not rock hard..
I've had it for years.
Love it. Used it on 3 Connies...
But the leather was worn badly so I bought a newer one.
The new one is Rock hard!

For shorter rides, the newer is ok, but too hard for long rides..

PS: Did I mention the Corbin seats are HARD?

Ride safe, Ted

I would move this thread to accessories, but do not know which bike this is for ZG1000 or ZG1400.  That said, the seat is a primary interface, maybe the most important interface that the rider has with the bike.  The fit and feel will affect rider control, comfort, and the entire riding experience.  A good seat can mean the difference from being comfy for 20 miles or comfy for hundreds of miles per day.  As in all these sort of things, a seat is also a very subjective component.  What is ideal to one may be murder to another.  Corbin seats have a reputation of being very firm.  IMHO, this is a huge benefit over the stock seat (even though I am not that fond of a Corbin on the C-10).  I cannot speak to what one for a C-14 might be though I think it perhaps would be similar.

A hard seat is actually easier on you than a squishy, sweaty seat and makes more miles or more hours in the saddle comfortable and do-able.  But it isn't the end all thing that makes a good/great seat.  If you can make a seat a bit more cushy while not promoting discomfort or sweat, that's a tricky balance to find, but one that the customs seat builders have always sought to strike.  Again, a combo of foams and shapes that works on one bike and/or tush may not work on another bike and/or backside.  Without a doubt, asking the question is an important part of deciding since it will get you possible recommendations.  But I would suggest that you see if you could check out some folks seats from various manufactures and try to see if one really strikes you as head and shoulders above the others.  Spending $500+ on an "experiment" is a scary proposition, but one perhaps some of these COGgers (near you or that you might meet up with on a ride) might help you to sample. 

I have a home modified seat upon which I run the wooden beads.  I can do a lot of miles on it, but it ain't all that.  However, it was inexpensive and easily accomplished and is light years from the stock, later model C-10 seat.  I hope you find your ideal and get a lots of miles and smiles out of it. 

My 2009 came with the 2-pc Corbin, not really a fan of it, sold it to Graphicjunkie who then also sold it only a couple months later...I think. The Kawi Touring seat or a Seth Laam are better choices IMHO....

GL

I had a Corbin on my C14 and it was like sitting on a bag of concrete. It had me sliding into the tank and very saddle sore after only about 50 miles. I tried an Air Hawk R on it, but that was too squishy, even with a very small amount of air in it.

I have a Baldwin saddle now and am very pleased with it.

I recommend that you try a few different saddles on your bike to see what works best for you. It helps if you have friends who have different types and are willing to let you try them out.

I love my stock 2008 seat. Bothered me the first 1000 miles until my ass got used to it. Like I always say.  On long rides get a jock strap.

ConcoursKZ said:
I love my stock 2008 seat. Bothered me the first 1000 miles until my a** got used to it. Like I always say.  On long rides get a jock strap.

Hi,
        Funny, I could not take my stock seat on my 2012 for more than an hour? :(

The hard ridges on the underside of the thighs, put my legs to sleep! :-[

A call to Seth Laam fixed that! ;D

Attachments

• 9317d810e6f52c3360ff8e13264045a9.jpg
    9317d810e6f52c3360ff8e13264045a9.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 152
Chris, If you can, we have our regional rally next weekend in Cedar City Utah. There will be a bunch of bikes and a bunch of different seats there to ask about. (Just ask before swinging a leg over  ;)) If not join one of the Nor/Cent/So Cal events and talk to folks right then and there. A seat is a really personal choice. On my C14 I have a Baldwin and wouldn't head any other direction. Others really prefer Laam, Corbin (I had one on my Bandit and won't again) Russell etc. You could probably get a good look at all the flavors at an event. And meet some pretty cool folks too.

I've had Corbin's and others. Corbin seats are over rated, over priced and over weight IMHO. There are better alternatives that are more comfortable. Oh, and they never "break in", rock hard from day one.
Currently running two Sargent seats and previously had one on a SV-1000S. The Bandit 1250 I've toured on and just now installed a Sargent cover & foam (used) on the stock seat pan for the BMW Sertao. Just a short ride proved a vast improvement over stock. Also Alaskan Sheep skin covers really help for long days in the Saddle.

I have  Corbins on my C10, my C14 and my KLR650  and I love them. I ride them all over the US and Canada.
Soft seats do not work for me. The stock seat was good for no more than 20 minutes  and then major pain.
Corbins are tough long lasting seats and anytime I have any issues I drive into the dealer here in Daytona and they fix it for free while I wait.
I could not ask for a better seat or service. Top notch and well worth the money.

Locate a custom seat builder in your area and have your stock seat upgraded.
I live in the Denver area and took my C14 and its stock seat to a place called Bitch'n Stitch'n.
Granted, they typically work on cruiser-style bikes, but they did a great job modifying the stock to fit me.
This took over three hours of carving, adding, and shaping the foam.  And in-between each step, I would test fit the changes.
They moved the butt-pocket back and added a small amount of lower-back support.
So - all in, I spent about $175 and have a seat that matches my backside.
They also offered heating options and custom leather surfaces if desired.
Good luck in your pursuit.

My '01 came with a Corbin, never had the marshmallow original seat.  I have tried one like my rock better.  :great:

I used Corbins on my previous 2 HD's and wouldn't have traded for any other.  I have the Corbin Modular seat on my 09 Connie, now.  It's pretty decent. Firmer and less sliding up to the tank than the stocker.  However, it's not as good as either of the ones I have(had) on my Harley(s) (sold one).  I'm waiting on my Laam.  Seth has it now.  In the meantime, I picked up the Corbin Dual Sport.  I plan to use the Laam for traveling and the Canyon Dual Sport as an everyday saddle.  Not sure what I'll do with the Corbin Modular Seat (never picked up the Smuggler Trunk, like I had intended).  :-[  Can't give a report on how the Dual Sport feels since I am OOC until my foot heals.

So, in short.  I like the Corbin's looks and the way they feel...but am still looking for the perfect saddle.  :truce:

I have used Corbin seats for almost all of my bikes, the latest one I had to send to Seth to have it redone.  And I think the only reason I kept it was because of the Smuggler.  Since it was redone by Seth I'm an extremely happy camper.  But I agree with a lot of the above posts, see if you can try out a few before shelling out good money for one.

Ceerider said:
Just wanted to know from other riders views who owned a Corbin seat.  Would you recommend it to other riders?   

Thanks!

Ride safe.

Hard seat, Over priced for what you get, Leather cracks, I would save up and get a Russel.

Rick said:
Ceerider said:

Thanks!

Ride safe.

Hard seat, Over priced for what you get, Leather cracks, I would save up and get a Russel.

Good point, Rick. I remember when I pulled my bike on a trailer a few years ago in the rain that by the time I arrived at my destination, the Corbin saddle was swollen with all of the water it absorbed. The leather is very thin on a Corbin saddle. On the other hand, I've had my Baldwin saddle in the rain many times and I've never noticed it absorbing any water at all. Loren uses thick, quality leather on his saddles.

Leather can be treated to not take up water so fast but if you do not maintain the treatment it will start to be a sponge.

smithr1 said:
Leather can be treated to not take up water so fast but if you do not maintain the treatment it will start to be a sponge.

Yeppers!  A little saddle soap to clean it up.  Then some mink oil or better yet pitchblend leather treatment to soften it up and weatherproof it.  I try to do this every few months to my saddles.  :motonoises:

I use Neatsfoot Oil on mine about 1 or 2 times a year.
The Corbin on my C-10 was bought (used) 15 years ago, and has finally worn thru at the front.
Wish I could find a place to just repair the front, as the rest of the leather is formed to, posterior ..

NOTE: The older Corbins were firm, but not as hard as they are now...

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I use Neatsfoot Oil on mine about 1 or 2 times a year.
The Corbin on my C-10 was bought (used) 15 years ago, and has finally worn thru at the front.
Wish I could find a place to just repair the front, as the rest of the leather is formed to, posterior ..

NOTE: The older Corbins were firm, but not as hard as they are now...

Ride safe, Ted
I read that the older Corbin used a different kind of foam.  I still have at least one (on my SuperGlide) that is not as hard as the one on my Connie.

I contacted Corbin about repairing or recovering my old one.
They would only do a recover and wanted the equivalent of buy a new seat.
So, a few years ago, I bought a new Corbin.
Use the new one occasionally, but when I want to do miles,, I always put the old worn one back on the bike...

Ride safe, Ted

I'm sure there are folks that could re-cover it..I'd check locally.  ChrisD sent his Corbin to Seth for re-work.  He loves it.... :motonoises:

Thanks for that thought;
I do need to get it repaired as I like it best, but at this time, the  C-10 is my spare bike.
So, I forget to have it done until I go for a ride...
I should find a local and see if they can do a repair.
Seth??

The old seat is good enough for occasional rides or when I lend it to someone..
If they want another I have stock or the hard/newer Corbin.

The worn spot is only about 1/2"-1" at the very front.
Actual hole is only 1/4"...
Ugly, but not a hindrance...

Ride safe, Ted

Over the years it seems that Corbin has gotten harder.  I picked up a new one for $200 then sent it to Seth Laam to do his magic and add some heat.  I am extremely happy with it.  Yes it took some time but had a long conversation with Seth before he started the work and he built it to my size and specs.  So over all well worth the money.

2016-04-23%2017.36.49.jpg

I waited 2 months for my leather corbin, rode for a month (4000 miles) I couldn't take it anymore. As someone said it was like riding on a bag of cement! Actually sold it to someone on here, hope they had better luck! Been on a no frills sergeant seat since it is ok, better than stock but im sure nothing like a Baldwin or other custom seat.

I've had Corbins on three bikes and I wish I could make it four with my current C10.  They are firm, but I prefer them to the stock seat.  I've ridden some long days on them and they were always comfortable to me.

Anyone wanting to sell a C10 Corbin seat- feel free to PM me :)

I prefer the Corbin. It is expensive, well built and I put about 20k a year on my bike and thus my butt. Softer seats are way more uncomfortable for long rides.