• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge, Carbondale, IL

Gypsy JR

Unusual for a National Wildlife Refuge to have a campground, much less an upgraded one with hook ups. They have both full hookup (water, electric, sewer) and water / electric only sites.

Sites appear to be mostly good gravel, fairly level, with picnic table and fire ring.

There are two bath houses, with several decent showers each, plus a men's and ladies flush toilets / sinks. Handicapped accessible. Very hot water in showers, and it doesn't run out.

My fee with Access Card (or a senior 65+) is $10 / night for water/electric or water/electric/sewer. They asked me to pick a site without sewer which is fine.

There is a gas station / convenience store just outside the Refuge on the highway, plus the city of Carbondale has a Walmart, Aldi, and several other stores.

The grass in the park is left long, it is a Refuge after all, and the host joked they were told the critters were more important than the campers. Lots of trees and many of the sites have good shade. A decent breeze comes in off the water. My site is right on the water, and I didn't detect many mosquitos, apparently the frogs and such are keeping them in check.

The campground is well maintained and right in the middle of the waterways. So very scenic. What a find!

IMG_17291_zpsfq2xaey4.jpg

IMG_17311_zpsmeebtvtd.jpg

Wish I'd have known you were passing through. The host wasn't joking...the Watermelon crowd would like nothing more, and have tried on several occasions to get humans banned from the Refuge even though it was original intended for both refuge and recreation. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay.

Can I buy you lunch? Weather for couple of days here...

Today Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 9am. Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 73. North northwest wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tonight Clear, with a low around 50. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 76. Light west southwest wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the morning.

Tuesday Night Clear, with a low around 53. West southwest wind 3 to 7 mph.

Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 71. Light west wind becoming north northwest 8 to 13 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 18 mph.
Wednesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 50. North northwest wind 3 to 7 mph.

Would be nice to do that. 240-291-8603.

Drying off here, big thunderstorm last night then rain until 0900. Sun out now, looks good until I leave Wednesday morning.

gPink said:
JR, got in late from work. PM inbound.

Got it, see you at 12:30.

The weather is awesome. Cool! After months of cooking in the heat night and day, and moving chairs to chase the shade, this is heaven. I will be spending max days (14) here many times next year. That, and Soldiers Grove city campground and some other places I've found