• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cranks but won't start

kathybrj

2012 C14, gas is less than a week old. Cranks but won't start. Did the usual- checked kill switch, kick stand, it's in neutral.

Started 2 days ago after a new tire install. Battery is new and charged.

We're starting with a crankshaft sensor check and moving along. Any other info/help appreciated.

Ok, sounds correct. But don't start by checking sensors.
Start by checking for spark at the plugs.
(I have no idea how to do so on a C-14 without removing a lot of plastic. (??)

I'm not sure I would rule out the fuel pump yet. Currently, my ZR2 is dead in my yard. You can hear the fuel pump running. Checked the valve under the hood. Fuel dribbles out. Have to pull the bed to get to it. Haven't ordered a new pump yet. Still sitting there. If there is an easy way to verify operation of the pump, that's what I would do.

Fuel pump and filter just pumped out lots of gas in a short try, so no issue there. Pulled a coil and have spark.

Onward.....

Flowing gas is good, but you had no back pressure.
Some have issues with the pump being able to flow if it's working against pressure. Issue was pump itself or pressure regulator. Doubtful this is the issue..

Here is a thought;
Spray a little starter fluid in the filter.
See if it tries to crank.
If no, the problem is spark.
If yes, the problem is fuel.

Does it fire at all? You checked one cylinder for spark - good / pull the plug is their fuel?

Must verify fuel is getting to the cylinders. Although you have fuel volume do you have pressure and are the injectors doing what they should.

Any other maintenance at all since the last start?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Think you’ve got some GOOD to GREAT items to chase on fuel.

Will be interested to hear the result.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Ok......starter fluid worked to get it going. Blaise had put a call in to Steve in Sunny FLA who suggested we unplug the ecu and plug it in again.

That worked. 🙂

She's running well now.
Good job @Steve in sunny Fla!

Sometimes it’s just a cold reset that is needed. If it continues, you will need to find cause but hey once in 11 year old machine - for now call it a ghost in the machine!

Wayne, Carol & Blue