• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Crazy cagers- the San Diego road rage murder- tailgaters

Thud300

Reading about the story of the Navy man who was run down on his Ducati by a woman, she pursued him through traffic from the I-5 onto another road where she knocked the bike down and pushed it for 300 feet with her car before finally running over the man. Very tragic.
RIP Chief Petty Officer Zach Buob .

As a fairly new rider I've only had one instance of being seriously tailgated. It was by a used car salesman at the same dealership I work at who lives near me. We have the same path to work, and he was in a giant hurry. When I saw his vehicle coming I knew who he was and where he was going. I even tried to make way for him by accelerating, but it wasn't enough for him. His driving was so aggressive, he nearly knocked me down when I was negotiating a stoplight at an intersection.

Me being ATGATT, he had no idea who I was. Imagine his surprise when I followed him to work, stopped and pulled my helmet off, proceeding to chew his as$.  :eek:

Some people become totally aggressive when they get behind the wheel of a car.

Any other tailgater/road rager stories out there?

Not me Thud300- I get away from tailgaters with the flick of my right wrist....The only ones with a chance to tailgate me are C-14 owners, and them I let pass LOL :rotflmao:

I do find that a lot of women drivers here in Texas are very hostile towards motorcycles , more so than all the other douchebags on the road here . I always laugh when I come back into the state and see the sign "Drive friendly , the Texas way "  :rotflmao:

Cra-z1000 ,
                                          When I was there in the late 90's it was" Don't Mess With Texas"  LoL (Or was it" women in mini-Vans")
                                                                                                                          :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Thud300 said:
Reading about the story of the Navy man who was run down on his Ducati by a woman, she pursued him through traffic from the I-5 onto another road where she knocked the bike down and pushed it for 300 feet with her car before finally running over the man. Very tragic.
RIP Chief Petty Officer Zach Buob .

I worked with Zach's father before he retired.  He was always very proud of his son, for good reason, as Zach went all over the world as a SEAL.  RIP indeed, and prayers for his family.  Tragic is an understatement.

Another road rage idiot knocks down rider story. Rider should have kept his mouth shut.  :-X

https://rideapart.com/articles/driver-runs-into-motorcyclist-texting

Occasionally I have to bite my tongue and quickly get far away from the dangerous idiots,  reminding myself, "don't bring a bike to a car fight"...gonna lose.
Remembering an old biker trick of keeping 4 or 5 one inch dia. ball bearings in left coat pocket. (for their windshield, then throttle up hard. :eek: )
Of course it's a bad idea but who among us hasn't thought about assisting karma.

Flat-spot said:
Occasionally I have to bite my tongue and quickly get far away from the dangerous idiots,  reminding myself, "don't bring a bike to a car fight"...gonna lose.
Remembering an old biker trick of keeping 4 or 5 one inch dia. ball bearings in left coat pocket. (for their windshield, then throttle up hard. :eek: )
Of course it's a bad idea but who among us hasn't thought about assisting karma.

big shiney ball bearings aren't normally found on the road.... but old dirty golf balls, when artfully dropped tend to bounce,,,, and when they are under a car, they bounce rapidly and like a machine gun.... tends to make people slow down...
old spark plugs work well also....just saying.
not that I would endanger anyone on the road. :-X

MAN OF BLUES said:
Flat-spot said:

big shiney ball bearings aren't normally found on the road.... but old dirty golf balls, when artfully dropped tend to bounce,,,, and when they are under a car, they bounce rapidly and like a machine gun.... tends to make people slow down...

I just remembered what that  baby food jar of oil is for in my side pocket, sucks getting old.LOL :)

MAN OF BLUES said:
Flat-spot said:

Spark Plugs were always my choice NGK B8ES to be exact.

TLR said:
Spark plugs??  What's the technique?

ConcoursKZ said:
MAN OF BLUES said:
Flat-spot said:

Spark Plugs were always my choice NGK B8ES to be exact.
[/quote]

I believe he's referring to this. (blue highlight ^^^)  But of course no one here is encouraging bad behavior. (see red highlights^^^)

O.K. Flat spot you got me... I do not carry that  baby jar of oil in my side pocket,  I'm just getting too old for that crap! :motonoises:

I really let my buddy give them a blast from his Harley exhaust. B.T.W. It only happens if we are not flying our colors on really hot days, go figure? :motonoises:

Have a biker friend who said he carries a couple of old used lug-nuts in his jacket pocket for tailgaters!

Me, I just go to full afterburner and leave them behind, if the traffic/road conditions allow it.

I have well over a million miles of accident free tractor trailer experience, primarily from 1979 to 1993. I spent another year on the road recently, and I can assure the obvious that things have gotten far crazier now than back in the late 70s. As far as tailgaters behind trucks, it has gotten to be almost an all day or night occurrence, perhaps due to the price of fuel, and it didn't really bother me. If something did occur like a hunk of steel or recap going through  their windshield, stopping would have been the last thing on my mind. Tough luck. Much more traffic out there now, which puts the % of bad drivers into a much higher per mile exposure.

I can't count the number of WTF?s per day I would see during the recent year on the road. Give you one of hundreds of examples - pulling a set of doubles at Christmas time for UPS Parcel on 287 West at the Palisades Pkwy? exit during rush hour. Right lane is stopped for heavy off ramp. I'm in middle lane at 50 MPH. Car passes me, turns right in front of me, and stops. Why I didn't cross it all up and take out x other innocent cars & drivers is perhaps only the grace of God? Buddha? Whoever?  I came to stop maybe 4 inches from T-boning the fool parked sideways in front of me. I could bore you 700 pages more of similar, but...

Anywho - the grandson of Henry Ford, the man who brought wheels to the world in numbers far beyond any of his contemporaries, talks about the days ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsLuQM5V3FA

Are we as a nation really doing anything about this? Not really. I do love America very much, but we tend to put out fires and govern by crisis management with no real forward thinking. As long as our Corp. masters are happy, our governance is happy.

.45...thats it.

I had some knucklehead nearly run me down in my own lane because he wanted to get on the highway and not wait for it a few years ago. I saw him, I knew he was stupid, and of course it happened. I honked at him and he got 10 types of crappy. Started swerving at me and waving at me to pull over. Actually wasn't armed at that moment, but if I had been, I would have stopped to hear his story.

dboogie2288 said:
.45...thats it.

I had some knucklehead nearly run me down in my own lane because he wanted to get on the highway and not wait for it a few years ago. I saw him, I knew he was stupid, and of course it happened. I honked at him and he got 10 types of crappy. Started swerving at me and waving at me to pull over. Actually wasn't armed at that moment, but if I had been, I would have stopped to hear his story.
I had the same type of "near miss" just recently. I do legally carry a Glock 23 in .40 S&W. :great:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,60023.0.html