• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Crazy rain riding video

Talk about a hydrolock opportunity. WOW!  I'm amazed by everything that happens and doesn't happen in that episode.  Fortunate it was a sport bike, but if it had ram air, it coulda been ram water.  If he's hydroplaning and I can't imagine him not, then it's triple amazing.

Rev Ryder said:
Talk about a hydrolock opportunity. WOW!  I'm amazed by everything that happens and doesn't happen in that episode.  Fortunate it was a sport bike, but if it had ram air, it coulda been ram water.  If he's hydroplaning and I can't imagine him not, then it's triple amazing.

I wonder Rev, with the depth of water how the physics "change"...a small layer of water induces hydroplaning as the wheel climbs up on top of the water (hence the term).

Perhaps once deep in the water that effect is somewhat negated, and the water even acts as a stabilizer with the wheel functioning as a keel/tiller. The water would certainly resist change in direction by the wheel, especially during entrance at higher speed.

Still, amazing that he stayed upright, that the engine didn't suck up some water, etc, etc. Lucky SOB, hope he learned to read the conditions better (looks like the water pooled under an overpass, not uncommon). There was even a truck stopped on the side of the road a few seconds before he hit the water. Definitely going too fast for the conditions. I rarely hit highway speeds in the rain...screw that!

Amazing video.

Always wondered what happens when you hit a flood. For those of you who have never rode in heavy downpours the C14 is very stable.

I thought for sure he was going to swamp his motor. I wonder how his gear held up. Soaked gloves, boots and pants means a not so fun ride.  :-[

Bravo! He must have PR3's for tires ;)    If he had tried to do anything but ride through that he would have been swimming.
Maybe move this to safety forum?

TimR said:
I thought for sure he was going to swamp his motor. I wonder how his gear held up. Soaked gloves, boots and pants means a not so fun ride.  :-[

I'm thinkin' that the rush of surviving kinda outweighs whatever discomfort he had after the fact! (Except maybe his warmly wet crotch and the saddle vinyl he sucked into his...rear!)

Nosmo said:
That's our daily commute here in the Pacific Northwet.
+1.  :-[.  :truce:

But actually the worse I road in was in South Orange Co. CA.  Heavy rain and hit a similar inside lane flood issue.  First and only time I have had a bike hydroplane!  That was on my C10.  Had no problem, but sure woke me up!

Jorge said:
Anybody know what pitch & size prop he was running?
Wow!

Good one Jorge!

Call me stormy Monday, but Tuesday's just as bad
                                                                                --Allman Brothers

Tundra Tom said:
Bravo! He must have PR3's for tires ;)    If he had tried to do anything but ride through that he would have been swimming.
:threadjack:  O boy  TIRES !!!!!!!  :popcorncouple:

Do you suppose was hecarrying the change of drawers he needed after he got through it?  I know the original pair definitely had oil stains in them!!!!  Amazing how he kept it up like that.  Definitely his lucky day!!!!

Sort of off topic but I saw a rider last week in Ohio riding an FJR in a torrential down pour. I was going to have my Wife film him but he flew by me at over 75 mph. In my Impala i was doing 65 and trying to catch him but he was passing trucks and cars so quickly I just gave up. Visibility was about 10 car lengths.  Like I said these bikes with the right tires are very stable in heavy rain and wet roads.

RodWpg said:
Tundra Tom said:
:threadjack:  O boy  TIRES !!!!!!!  :popcorncouple:

Indeed Tires! The reason for the PR3 comment...when returning from the Mt. Snow VT. COG national rally we rode through the storm that hit the Indianapolis fairgrounds and destroyed the stage. The PR3's on my C-14 boarded on freakish traction in a incredible down pour. I was accelerating and braking, lightly at first then harder and harder until the better half (riding behind me on her own) told me to knock it off on the coms.  :hee20hee20hee:

I haven't personally seen anything that bad, but once I did get caught out in a thunderstorm on my old K100. The road out there between Rochester and the Twin Cities is flat and there are no overpasses to hide under. I was expecting some rain, so I had on my rain gear, but when it started coming down in sheets it was pretty miserable. I had the choice to pull over and wait it out, but I was afraid of getting hit by someone that was having problems finding the road, so I kept going. I had new tires and the bike was running good. I was so relieved when the rain let up to just a downpour ( :eek: ). Then as I came down a long steep hill I saw something that made my heart almost stop: a river of water over the road at the bottom of the hill. I started slowing down, trying to stay off the brakes. Just as I got to the water, a jerk in a pickup came flying by in the other lane and threw a huge wave of water over me. For a moment I could not see anything; I just concentrated on keeping the bike upright and moving straight ahead. Luck was with me and I made it through. Surprisingly I was not that wet underneath the gear - I guess I picked the right stuff. Still, that's not something I'd care to ever repeat.