• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Crush Washer

danmcdermott

I am rebuilding my brake calipers. The crush washer where the banjo bolt attaches to the caliper appears to be aluminum. I am out of aluminum crush washers in that size, however I do have coper.

Does anyone know any reason coper crush washers would be a bad idea in this application?

I did a little search. About the only things that are mentioned is corrosion between different metals and that copper can be re-annealed. I'd go with copper. Can't imagine it's going to cause a problem. It's right in the open if you want to keep an eye on it.

Yea, I figured the same. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some strange issue I wasn't aware of like coper reacting poorly to Dot 4 but I can't find anything stating that.

Well said ZXtasy!! You have unearthed a bigger question...is it ignoble to pair coper and aluminum and if so is that a base insult?

I am rebuilding my brake calipers. The crush washer where the banjo bolt attaches to the caliper appears to be aluminum. I am out of aluminum crush washers in that size, however I do have coper.

Does anyone know any reason coper crush washers would be a bad idea in this application?
Not that I'm aware of.