• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cut down Windshield... any new info?

kznny

Tricycle
Okay, first 80+ degree day with the Connie and I need some air! Went to work with riding suit over clothes and it was hot. I have a Cee Bailey 24" that came with the bike. I don't have a stock screen. The Cee at 24.5 inches is about at eye level. I would like something much shorter, but it seems like all the short windshields / screens for the C10 seem to be hard to find. Not the handiest person, but if it was cheap to fail and I had instructions I might have a fair shot of making my own solutions, but would rather have something that is proven. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 1983 Yahama XS650 Heritage Special (Sold)
1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor
1982 Honda GL500 Silver Wing
1999 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000

I have a Gustaffson plastic 11" I will be selling . Check this website and see if you may be interested. http://www.bikescreen.com/products.asp?cat=87&pg=2 I live in Tewksbury,MA

Besides Bob's offer, there was also someone making 13" shields for pretty cheap. I got a shield and cut it to 16" for summer use. I also had an 11" which was nice but it went with a bike I sold. Sometimes you can get stock shields on here for real good prices. It's not hard to cut down but I have ruined one doing it so it;s not fool proof, just take your time and don;t put to much pressure when holing it down.

Interesting, I am going the other direction. 2003 Concours, 58K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

It is not that hard to cut down a shield. You hardest part is determining how low you want it. Pick a height you think will work, then use painter's tape to layout the line. Use short lengths, laying one on top of another to determine the line on only ONE side of the shield. Once you have 1/2 of the shield laid out, now you need to choose a method to duplicate that same line to the other side of the shield. There are several ways to do that, so I won't go into that. Just be sure to layout a line you can cut to. To cut it there are also numerous methods, but whatever method you choose, use a very FINE tooth blade and cut at least 1/8" outside the line you laid out. Then use a belt sander to finish it down to the line you laid out. Once you get it to that point, there are two methods to smooth it out, fine sandpaper or a propane torch. I use the propane torch method, much faster. So go and get an old shield and give it a try. You might be surprised on what you can do when you really try. tcars John

Pretty good advice, thanks. I will certainly try that. I will probably purchase a very small shield, but learning to cut one down can be very useful as if it is not enough I can always cut it again.

I broke my old Cee Bailey 24" (?) screen in a sidestand incident last October. It was too short for me anyway and gave me a good excuse to buy the tallest Cee Bailey screen, which has worked out very well for me. Anyway, I glued the chunks of the old screen back together using our Plastifix kit (www.plastifix.com) and cut it down to about 12". I smoothed it with body filler and painted the whole thing black. Looks awesome! I haven't had a chance to install it yet since it hasn't gotten consistently hot yet, but I will soon.

Sound cool - got any pix? 1983 Yahama XS650 Heritage Special (Sold)
1989 Honda VTR250 Interceptor
1982 Honda GL500 Silver Wing
1999 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000
COG-93137 CDA-0323