• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cycle Gear Duraboost Lithium battery

ka3vme

Has anyone used one of these ? My main concern is if it has a BMS onboard, and for the price it should. However, no specs that I can find show much technical detail about it.

For a 2010 C14 if it matters.

It has to have a battery manager on board, as it has a built in state of charge indicator. Cycle Gear customer service is excellent and I would have no worries about getting the battery from them.

well after running around all day finally locating the battery at Cycle Gear, I ended up returning it! Little detail their guy missed, and so did I, was the "L" at the end of the part number, meaning the terminals were reversed. I was not happy after wasting a day. But returning for a $203 refund and finding I could get the NOCO-14 for 70% of that price from the AutoZone down the street, well, I went and ordered it. I've used NOCO products for years, even showing, to the amazement of people around, that my handheld battery booster would jumpstart my freightliner tractor.
They have been around lithium batteries for a long time now and I feel confident in their products.

I wish Cycle Gear would have provided more technical information on the battery. I have Lithium iron phosphate batteries for powering radio equipment and they do NOT have any type of BMS, so I was not sure if the Duraboost had one or not. It is a selling point, and cheap Li batteries marketed for bikes do not have one.

Asking for a friend.

What is the advantage of Lithium Batteries over AGM batteries?
Do they last longer? CCA is far higher? Lighter? What??

Ride safe, Ted

Update; I looked back at a discussion I started about installing a size 16 AGM battery in our bikes.
NOTE: I installed a Yuasa in mine at that time and it's doing fine. Nov. 2019
Later others discovered the Motobatt battery it has 4 terminals instead of 2..

At the end of the discussion 2 Motobatt batteries were found with 4 Terminals.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C6GWMVK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and

So, getting back to my question. What is the advantage of the Lithium over these?

Last edited:
I have been running EarthX Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries for 9 years now on my 2011 C-14. The first battery lasted 8 years with zero problems. While the initial cost is higher, I see the these advantages. Smaller, much lighter, center mounted terminals, battery management that shuts the battery off if you leave the lights on for instance. They can use something like 90% of their energy before the BMS shuts it off. The BMS can be reset and the bike will start. They hold their charge while in storage, have a considerably longer lifespan and a greater cold cranking amp rating for their smaller size. They charge considerably faster. They don’t catch on fire and yes they work in the cold. When I finally decided to replace my EarthX battery it had zero corrosion after 8 seasons of riding. I’m sure I’m missing some other things, but I can share they worked great for me. The EarthX will be the next battery on my 2019 Versys. I can’t speak for other brands.

EarthX lists 2 batteries for the C-14. The ETX18F and the ETZ14C.
Looking at the information it seems the ETZ14C is the best choice. (??)

The Yuasa is doing fine in my bike for now, but I'll keep this in mind when I need a replacement.

Ride safe, Ted

I looked up both of my orders and used the EarthX ETX24C Lithium Iron Phosphate battery both times. No issues with room to spare (they supply rubber pads to fill in the extra space if needed) and with the way the posts are set up, the cabling is easier than the OEM. You shouldn’t go wrong with their fit guide. They answer the phone for questions, and I believe are based in Colorado. A bunch of places sell them, including Amazon.

Any reason you chose the ETX24C over the ETZ14C?
The 14 seems to have more CCA and Ah.

Also do you need to purchase a special charger/maintainer for a Lithium?

I know nothing about a Lithium. Trying to learn.

Ride safe, Ted

I’m guessing cost the first time and then got the same again. More Cca and Ah if it fits is best and the models you listed are newer. I’m sure the one I bought exceeded the OEM. A purist will tell you to use the Optimate charger. I believe the battery management system allows any charger to be used without desulfation.

Info on the Optimate